OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), August 06, 2014 – Sprint Corporation (NYSE:S) today announced that its Board of Directors named Marcelo Claure as the company’s next President and Chief Executive Officer, effective August 11. Claure, 43, joined the Sprint Board of Directors in January and is the Founder and CEO of Brightstar Corp., a subsidiary of SoftBank Corp. As President and CEO, Claure’s first priority will be to continue the build out of Sprint’s network by leveraging its strong spectrum holdings as well as ensuring that Sprint always maintains truly competitive offers in the marketplace.
Marcelo Claure was named Sprint President and CEO, effective August 11, 2014, and has served on the Sprint board of directors since January 2014. Prior to this, he was CEO of Brightstar, a company he founded in 1997 and grew from a small Miami-based distributor into a global business with more than $10 billion in gross revenue for the year ended 2013.
Under his leadership, Brightstar became the largest global wireless distribution and one of the leading services company in the telecommunications industry. As of August 2014, it had a local presence in more than 50 countries on six continents and delivered its products and services to more than 90,000 customers in over 125 countries.
Technology’s potential for revolutionizing fleet management is the subject of If It Moves, Track It, a new Sprint Ebook now available.
Make it yours: Virgin Mobile’s first family plan offers the ability to build, share, control and manage plans for up to five lines without a contract
Virgin Mobile Custom to be available exclusively at 1,800 Walmart stores beginning Aug. 9
WARREN, N.J. (BUSINESS WIRE), July 30, 2014 – Just in time for the back-to-school season,Virgin Mobile USA introduces Virgin Mobile Custom™, a no-annual-contract offer with unique parental controls and the ability for customers to build personally tailored rate plans. Virgin Mobile Custom will be available exclusively to Walmart customers at select stores beginning Saturday, Aug. 9. With the Virgin Mobile Custom personalized experience, no one plan is the same: customers can choose from a wide range of calling, texting and data options to suit individual needs while avoiding annual contracts.
Sprint Teams with Google to Offer Google Apps for Business
Sprint’s mobility expertise paired with high-touch service and support delivers comprehensive, customer-friendly cloud-based solution
OVERLAND PARK, Kan. (BUSINESS WIRE), July 23, 2014 – As a major mobility provider, Sprint (NYSE: S) will be offering Google Apps for Business in a move that will allow the company to seamlessly support business adoption of Google’s cloud-based productivity solutions so they can benefit from robust collaboration and mobilization tools.
Sprint delivers a comprehensive, mobile-centric offering of Google Apps, available in August, with:
- Service and support – Full array of deployment and support services to help businesses plan and use the solution across all employees, along with ongoing 24/7 support and online training included at no charge … all with a mobile-centric approach that enables the use of Google Apps on mobile devices.
- Complete solution – Sprint serves as the one-stop shop for businesses by packaging all elements needed to support a comprehensive cloud-based collaboration experience. This includes value-added offers such as single sign-on. With Sprint’s broad portfolio for business, it can help build the “complete solution” tailored to specific needs that will help businesses build a new workforce experience, simplify IT management and ultimately fuel growth.
- Mobile expertise – Sprint has built America’s Newest Network from the ground up, delivering faster speeds and better call quality so businesses can collaborate and get work done faster. Sprint’s network will continue to evolve to meet growing business demands, including the latest innovations of Sprint Spark and HD Voice. Sprint also brings an innovative device portfolio so employees can work how they want to work.
“Sprint offers a variety of mobile tools to accommodate multigenerational work styles within the workplace, helping people to boost productivity and collaborate from virtually anywhere,” said Mike Fitz, vice president of business solution commercialization, Sprint Business. “Google’s versatile toolbox makes it simple for businesses large and small to integrate best-in-class, cloud-based solutions. As a trusted wireless leader, we offer the most comprehensive approach across all business segments. When combined with the flexibility of our new Fusion pricing plans, Sprint delivers the perfect balance of mobility and collaboration tools that today’s business require.”
With a shiny new network and state-of-the-art equipment in place, Sprint shifts its focus to local market optimization
By Dr. John Saw, Chief Network Officer, Sprint
As we finish the rip and replace of our 3G network, as well as reach 471 4G LTE markets, we now have a completely new platform in place. This is where the fun begins as we shift much of our focus and resources on local market optimization. By optimization, we simply mean the implementation of various technologies and techniques to make our network more efficient and deliver improved performance and faster data speeds. Each cell site within our network is like a single puzzle piece that when first deployed is roughly cut. Our job with optimization is to take a surgical approach to every site and make sure each one fits perfectly into the overall network puzzle.
All-new network gains momentum with nationwide launch of HD Voice, expansion of 4G LTE and Sprint Spark service
CHICAGO (BUSINESS WIRE), June 23, 2014 – Sprint (NYSE:S) today announced nationwide availability of HD Voice, as well as 28 new 4G LTE markets and three new Sprint Spark™ markets. To mark the milestones and the network’s improved performance, Sprint also announced a satisfaction guarantee inviting users to experience Sprint service risk-free for 30 days.
“We believe customers will be delighted with the Sprint retail experience, our customer service, and the performance of America’s newest network,” said Dan Hesse, Sprint Chief Executive Officer, “so we’re guaranteeing it.”
After a complete rip-and-replace overhaul of its 3G network and the deployment of 4G LTE in 471 markets, Sprint has transformed its network to deliver faster data speeds and improved call quality, with a marked decrease in dropped and blocked calls. New market launches, coverage expansions, and technical network advancements will continue in the coming months.
Exclusive Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport, available July 25, and other mobile technology innovations will support healthy lifestyles with fitness tracking, educational information, applications and more
CHICAGO (BUSINESS WIRE), June 23, 2014 – Sprint (NYSE:S) is stepping up its presence in the growing health and fitness markets, announcing today the launch of an exclusive device from Samsung Telecommunications America and a collaboration with health and fitness market leaders Under Armour and MapMyFitness to offer mobile solutions for today’s active lifestyles.
Sprint will provide convenient mobile access to fitness tracking, educational information, and music, as well as offer applications to help consumers as they exercise, watch what they eat and take better care of themselves.
Sprint will launch on Friday, July 25 the Samsung Galaxy S® 5 Sport, an exclusive new Spark-enabled smartphone with both the hardware and software for today’s health-conscious users. Among the handset’s many features is S Health™1, an integrated mobile health platform to access health info, map out workouts, and make healthier eating choices. It even monitors heart rate before and after activity with a built-in heart-rate monitor. Samsung’s exclusive Activity Zone app is preloaded on Galaxy S 5 Sport offering the ability to open active lifestyle features, including a barometer, compass, flashlight and stopwatch from a single screen.
A private social media space to keep connected with family and friends
CHICAGO (BUSINESS WIRE), June 23, 2014 – To help mobile users better organize, communicate and share information with those who matter most, Sprint (NYSE: S) is launchingSprint Framily Wallsm, a private and secure social media space for customers to connect.
Sprint is the first national wireless carrier to provide a private social media space for consumers to connect to the people and things that matter most to them. Sprint Framily Wall is available at no additional charge to Framily Plan customers or existing Sprint customers. At launch, the application will be available in Google Play and Sprint Zone for Android users. Sprint Framily Wall is expected to be available soon for the iPhone, iPad, Android Tablet, Windows Phone and the Web.
Stay on top of your game with a smartphone built for the athletic lifestyle
- Sprint Spark™, a unique combination of advanced network capabilities built for datadelivering peak wireless speeds of 60Mbps today on capable devices
- Android™ 4.4.2, KitKat
- 2.5GHz quad-core processor (Qualcomm®Snapdragon® MSM8974AB chipset)
- Sprint Fit LiveSM delivers instant access to favorite health and activity apps from the active wallpaper or the full screen experience to tailor workouts, music and healthy living content to fitness interests and routine
- MapMyFitness uses GPS to track all fitness activities, and records workout details, including duration, distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned and route traveled on an interactive map
- Activity Zone offers the ability to open active lifestyle features, including a Barometer, Compass, Flashlight and Stopwatch, from a single screen
- S Health™1, an integrated mobile health platform to access health info, map out your workouts and make healthier eating choices, even measure your heart rate when touching the back of Galaxy S 5 Sport
- Multi Window™2 allows users to seamlessly toggle between applications without closing a window or opening a new page
- Quick Connect defaults to the best technology to share your content, send files, share your screen or control nearby devices
- NFC (near field communication) allowing the device to read information from everyday objects, such as stickers and posters embedded with NFC chips, or for use as a mobile wallet to make secure purchases
- Samsung Knox™ to help ensure that businesses have the security and control they require to protect sensitive data
- Personal and business email, as well as IM through Google Hangouts™
- Google Mobile™ wireless services, suc h as Google Search™, Gmail™, Google Maps™ for Android, Google Calendar™, Drive and YouTube™
- 3G/4G LTE mobile hotspot capability supporting up to 10 Wi-Fi® enabled devices simultaneously
- Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
- HD Voice, virtually eliminating background noise and sound quality is dramatically enhanced on a call between two Sprint HD Voice-enabled devices on upgraded areas of the Sprint network
- IP67 water and dust resistant3
- Textured body for increased grip and three hard keys for easier navigation when active