Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-31-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
TTSP
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 18
"Number or code is incorrect"??!

Hi everyone,

New to these forums!!

I'm using a Cingular phone, and I'm trying to dial a Sprint number (area code 408), but I get a message saying "the number or code you dialed, is incorrect". What's wrong?!!
Is it a problem with Sprint?

Early reply appreciated!!
TTSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 07:34 AM   #2
remydagreat
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: MM5600
SU$: 244
Send a message via AIM to remydagreat Send a message via Yahoo to remydagreat
Wirelessly posted (Sanyo MM-8300: Mozilla/4.0 (MobilePhone MM-8300/US/1.0) NetFront/3.1 MMP/2.0)

It Could Be That Some1 Foward Tha Call 2 Tha Wrong Number. Sometimes I Do It When I Dont Want No 1 To Call Or Leave A Message
remydagreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 09:34 AM   #3
TTSP
Two Cans & String User

Thanks for the reply, Remy.

I don't think the call "has been forwarded" to another number, though. It seems more like it's either a) No longer in service, or b) Only accepts calls from certain numbers.

Is that possible? But then again, would I get an "incorrect number or code" message if the Sprint number is disconnected?!

The area code is "408", and since there's heavy rain in the California Bay area right now, I'm wondering if the Sprint signals got messed up

Anyone else have a problem with the Sprint service in the Bay area?
Old 12-31-2005, 05:57 PM   #4
jhardin1
Telephone User

Phone: Sprint VM4050
SU$: 373
Send a message via AIM to jhardin1
that is a probably a sprint error message, as sprint's messages usually refer to 'number or code you dialed' , why you're getting the msg. may not be able to be determined
jhardin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 05:36 AM   #5
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Did you try adding a 1 in front of the 10-digit number?

When cellular was first designed, designers correctly realized that the 1 in front of an out-of-area number was entirely unnecessary and redundant on a phone that sends the entire number at once (wireless phone) rather than a single digit at a time (a wireline phone). The fact that the phone sent 10 digits instead of 7 is a sufficient indication by itself. And so, traditionally, on cell phones that leading 1 was merely optional.

Unfortunately, I have noticed over the years that some carriers have made the out-of-area 1 mandatory, for no good reason at all as far as I know.

Note that in front of a 7-digit number, a 1 is occasionally necessary to distinguish your local calling area from your "natural" calling area.

Last edited by lgmayka; 01-01-2006 at 05:38 AM.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2006, 06:25 AM   #6
TTSP
Two Cans & String User

Hi Igmayka,

Yes, I did dial the "1" before the 10 digit number. In fact, I tried dialling with and without the "1" !!

But it gave the same recording: "The number or code you dialed, is incorrect".

Actually, you just reminded me of this incident when a friend of mine (who was trying to play a prank on me), masked his number by dialling * 67 before the number. I remember him saying that he got a similar message - "dialed number is incorrect" or something.

So is it possible that it's an "unknown number block"?! I'm calling a recruiting agency in this case, and I don't want my number to be displayed to them.

BTW, Sprint doesn't give this message if the service is disconnected, does it?
Old 01-02-2006, 04:33 AM   #7
The Cheat*
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Samsung MM A-70
SU$: 22
I dont think Sprint service is down in the Bay Area. My gf lives in Los Gatos and i've got through fine everytime I've called. also my battery died while on the phone so I borrowed my friends Cingular phone which also got through perfectly, so Im not sure, but its working for me.
The Cheat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2006, 04:56 AM   #8
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSP

BTW, Sprint doesn't give this message if the service is disconnected, does it?
No, that one is: "the PCS number you have dialed is temporarily not in service, please try again later" or similar
Old 01-02-2006, 05:09 AM   #9
TTSP
Two Cans & String User

Thanks for the reply, Dand411.

So the service is not "disconnected". Do you get the same message if the number has been changed? Or would you get what I got - a "number or code is incorrect" recording?!
Old 01-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #10
jbjtkbw00
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Droid Bionic
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 1,358
Send a message via ICQ to jbjtkbw00 Send a message via AIM to jbjtkbw00 Send a message via MSN to jbjtkbw00 Send a message via Yahoo to jbjtkbw00 Send a message via Skype™ to jbjtkbw00
Maybe you could PM someone in your area to try the number just to check it out.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:36 PM   #11
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSP
Thanks for the reply, Dand411.

So the service is not "disconnected". Do you get the same message if the number has been changed? Or would you get what I got - a "number or code is incorrect" recording?!

That recording is played when a number is disconnected for good and placed back into the system to be "recycled." I am not sure if the recording is played on "changed" numbers but i would bet it is.
Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #12
fuzzynubbins
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 19
Unhappy

yes i have been trying to figure out that message too. my friend said if everyone, including me, didnt leave him alone he was going to change his number. it seemed like a bit over the top of a reaction, but right now this poor guy is addicted to drugs.
so i call his number one day later, it rings three times, then goes into the "number or code you have dialed is incorrect thing" He also deleted his super adorable "kitty pushing a watermelon" facebook profile i made for him. he seems to be trying to disconnect from the world or at least people that disagree with some of his behavior.
bottom line, i think you guys are right, i think he changed numbers and my god, he did it in less than 24 hours, so how weird. i have an urge to call his parents to check on him, but dont want to get yelled at again. i hope he is okay, but i kno he isn't
fuzzynubbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 PM   #13
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzynubbins View Post
yes i have been trying to figure out that message too. my friend said if everyone, including me, didnt leave him alone he was going to change his number. it seemed like a bit over the top of a reaction, but right now this poor guy is addicted to drugs.
so i call his number one day later, it rings three times, then goes into the "number or code you have dialed is incorrect thing" He also deleted his super adorable "kitty pushing a watermelon" facebook profile i made for him. he seems to be trying to disconnect from the world or at least people that disagree with some of his behavior.
bottom line, i think you guys are right, i think he changed numbers and my god, he did it in less than 24 hours, so how weird. i have an urge to call his parents to check on him, but dont want to get yelled at again. i hope he is okay, but i kno he isn't
People who are addicted dont want to be harassed about their addictions. Its either they realize they have a problem and dont feel they can do anything about it, or they are in denial / dont want to do anything about it.

I could have sprint change my number, and probably have a new number 10-20 min's from now, programmed into the device and everything.

At some point, you have to take a step back and decide if your really trying to help. Do his parents know of his issues? If not, and he has a real problem with addiction, maybe family is the best place to start some sort of an intervention.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: