Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-15-2005, 03:23 PM   #1
iltaraho
Telegraph User

Phone: Samsung A900m
SU$: 58
Dangers of giving out number

What are the dangers, if any, of giving out your cellular (or any other) phone number? In the past I would give out a number without a second thought. However, the paranoia of these times makes me wonder if I should be more concerned about this. This question goes beyond the concerns of receiving telemarketing and other unsolicited calls. More specifically, what are the chances of someone hacking into your account or perform other identify theft type activities with your number? As I ask this question I am thinking about my Sprint account, however this question probably applies to any phone number you might have, be it cellular, traditional bell, or even VoIP.

One of the first questions asked when calling customer service is; What is your phone number? Not just telephone service providers but most all service and product providers access your account from your phone number. Example, I have no idea of what my account number is with the electric utility but I have no problem reciting my home phone number. Now for the most part this is convenience and a cross index to your actual account number with that provider. However, this does put a lot of power in your phone number. Normally there is some other type of verification question to prove your identity, usually your mother's maiden name or a password.
On a rant: These days with information availability finding someone's mother's maiden name is probably not that difficult. Passwords are a completely different subject with their own faults. Today's life style requires so many accounts that maintaining a different password for each is a next to impossible task. Security experts warn you to use a different password for each account but in reality most people use a common password for different accounts. (How many of these passwords are based off of a birthday, anniversary, loved ones name, or some other item that can be derived from your personal profile?) Now if any of those accounts are compromised then the potential is there to exploit all your accounts that use that same password. (Stepping off of the soap box now.)

Let me close by going back to the original question: What are the dangers, if any, of giving out your cellular (or any other) phone number?
Old 11-15-2005, 03:24 PM   #2
arya
Telephone User

SU$: 58
People calling you
arya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 03:35 PM   #3
Touhy
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 924
a hot chick calling you cause she's drunk? thats dangerous if you are not "single" but for me its dangerous cause of STDs...bag it up!

for real now..i dont think there are any other than overages or prank calls...but the prank calls are just annoying more than anything. i mean if one of your friends decided to give it out on the internet, you'd probably get more calls that way cause being a guy, you know they'd put it on a "different sexual orientation" website...
Touhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Dangers of giving out number

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: