Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 AM   #1
bluecoyote
Permanently Banned

Phone: Crackberry 8703
SU$: 82
Who's going to win the game war?

Microsoft, Sorny, or Nintendork?

Going over it...

1) Microsoft - turning around the total crap pile the original XBox was, the XBox 360 is an impressive device. MS is really taking a page from Apple by focusing more on processor throughput than raw strength. (For those of you PC owners, this is why an 800mhz G4 tends to clobber your 2ghz Pentium 4.) The design is OKAY, not great. Add a plus for iPod compatibility, MS! Microsoft plans to clobber Sony by carefully timing its gaming release dates (Halo 3 is set to debut along with the PS3 in order to ensure it's DOA.)

2) Sony - pulls out a whammy for processing power, but I betcha this thing's gonna be expensive. It's an attractive console when stacked vertically, but horizontally- ewww! Sony added universal media format card readers- not just memorysticks! A lower level backside cache means that, in terms of gigaflops, it actually lags behind the 360, but it beats it in floating point calculations. Add on Blu-Ray disc support (which will be a blessing or a curse) , and it's winning the spec war.

3) Nintendo - We'll see.

I sense another Dreamcast/PS2 debate. Microsoft's playing from Sega's point of view, but they've got what Sega didn't have- comittment from publishers. If you all remember, the Dreamcast lost the spec war, but was able to render graphics every bit as well as the PS2, thanks to some smart engineering. Unfortunately, the Dreamcast lost, and is a dead console.
bluecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 12:54 AM   #2
punkkix03
Telephone User

Phone: VM4050
SU$: 210
Send a message via AIM to punkkix03 Send a message via Yahoo to punkkix03
I just wish they could make a system that will last for a good 5 years so you don't have to spend $800-$900 so often :-/ JUST to be able to play Halo 3, gonna have to get Xbox 360 RAWR I was happy with my XBOX, GmaeCube and my PS2! Why do they have to go and make a whole new set of systems!
punkkix03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 09:55 AM   #3
ccanady
Account Inactive

Phone: Nokia 6255i
Trades: 1
SU$: 371
Send a message via AIM to ccanady Send a message via MSN to ccanady Send a message via Yahoo to ccanady
Well yesterday I pre-ordered my Xbox 360 which estimated price so far is 539.99 and you to pre-order a minimum of 50.00. I will be buying both systems regardless of price. If sony does what they say they will do with the PS3, this thing will be awesome. I know with the 360 the graphics are awesome as well. I know NFS: Most Wanted will be one of the 1st games I get. Is it true that Halo 3 will be on PS3? Word is spreading around from alot of my friends and ppl in the game bizz that thats why its coming out when PS3 is being released. And thats why most ppl will not be getting the 360 since its not backwards compatible. Gamers would like to play their halo / halo2 on their 360 and if halo3 comes out for PS3, that will be a major blow to microsoft. Apparently Bungie does not care which game console their game is on as long as it is on the most powerful one out at the time. Word is Bungie feels like the PS3 will win in power so they are making it for sony.
ccanady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:15 AM   #4
bluecoyote
Permanently Banned

Phone: Crackberry 8703
SU$: 82
1) Halo 3 most certainly won't be out for the PS3. It's coming out the same time as it to kill off sales of the PS3.

2) The Xbox 360 is backwards compatible.
bluecoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 11:52 AM   #5
ccanady
Account Inactive

Send a message via AIM to ccanady Send a message via MSN to ccanady Send a message via Yahoo to ccanady
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoyote
1) Halo 3 most certainly won't be out for the PS3. It's coming out the same time as it to kill off sales of the PS3.

2) The Xbox 360 is backwards compatible.
Sorry I think my friend misread about Halo 3 being on PS3 but about the 360 being backwards compatible, word is there is no info out that support it being backwards compatible. Also there is word that they might come out w/ two versions, one that is and another that is not.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:03 PM   #6
FloorMatt
Retired Admin
3D rEVOlution

Phone: HTC EVO 3D
Trades: 10
SU$: 13,704
When I decided to come back to gaming (instead of getting one of the current gen consoles)....I decided to say "Screw you, consoles" when I got the PSP.

But anyways.......Nintendo is sure being secretive.....I wanna see what's up their sleeve; they can't let Microsoft and Sony have all the fun!
Old 05-17-2005, 01:19 PM   #7
ccanady
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloorMatt
When I decided to come back to gaming (instead of getting one of the current gen consoles)....I decided to say "Screw you, consoles" when I got the PSP.
lol I did the same, I got rid of all my consoles and just kept my PSP. It is so much fun and I can take it on the go. Best part is pc_techie823 or is it pc-techie832??? lol well he got me a 1 gig for 70 so Im happy. If you want a 1 gig I advice you to go through him.
Old 05-17-2005, 01:23 PM   #8
FloorMatt
Retired Admin
3D rEVOlution

Phone: HTC EVO 3D
Trades: 10
SU$: 13,704
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccanady
lol I did the same, I got rid of all my consoles and just kept my PSP. It is so much fun and I can take it on the go. Best part is pc_techie823 or is it pc-techie832??? lol well he got me a 1 gig for 70 so Im happy. If you want a 1 gig I advice you to go through him.
I would like a 1 gig
Old 05-17-2005, 01:47 PM   #9
ccanady
Account Inactive

Quote:
I would like a 1 gig
get the one gig from pc-techie832, he is a member here. Also if you are not satisfied with a 1gig which I am getting from pc-techie832 but 1 gig is not enough for me. You can go to I think its memorylabs but when I get home tonight I will get you the correct name if that is not it. They sell a 40 gig portable hard drive for 119.99. You can connect it to your psp and exchange info back and forth. but in order to do this you have to have a 512 or 1 gig. The portable HD has an LCD screen so you can choose what file to send to the PSP. Its awesome. IM getting it once my 1 gig comes in.
Old 05-17-2005, 09:05 PM   #10
ccanady
Account Inactive

I think the PS3 from the specs is going to blow 360 away. Even though Im getting both, I have a feeling PS3 is going to give 360 and revolution a run for their money. I guess until they oth come out, I will go buy a HDTV television. Also did you see the diagram at E3? You can connect your PSP to the 360...lol What a way to stick it to sony microsoft, show the world all the devices you can connect your 360 to and include your competitors devices as well like the PSP and the IPod...lol
Old 05-17-2005, 10:18 PM   #11
Jordan
Cellular Phone User

Phone: 5600
Trades: 8
SU$: 559
Send a message via AIM to Jordan Send a message via MSN to Jordan Send a message via Yahoo to Jordan
The revolution has a good idea though, the only idea I saw in todays press conferences that nintendo released about the revolution- ultimate backwards compatibility, going all the way back to the NES. Now I know that you can do this with an xbox or dreamcast, it's just nice to see that we are going to do it anyways, and get it built in. All of these new systems look good, i just feel a bit dissappointed in the 360 based on what i've seen so far, but hopefully all goes for the best.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:55 PM   #12
The Lance
n00b Pwner

Phone: Touch Pro 2
Trades: 3
SU$: 1,072
I just watched the PS3 unveiling and I must admit it does have one hell of an impressive core. The cell processor it has is just truly amazing.. I can see that technology really going places.. I bet you in a year or two.. AMD or Intel will have their own comsumer-based cell processors and that is going to take computing power to a whole new level..Its about time that video games look like movies..
The Lance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 02:46 AM   #13
upp3r 3ch3lon
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Mine
Trades: 4
SU$: 972
Send a message via AIM to upp3r 3ch3lon
And the winner is...

Us. The gamers. All this competition ensures that we will get the most out of these systems. Regardless of the specs, all of the systems will be mindblowing to say the least. I win, you win, we all win.
upp3r 3ch3lon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #14
fever
Telephone User

Phone: v3, v551, v220
SU$: 24
Quote:
As CCanady said, the 360 will interface with the PSP, as well as the iPod. I wonder if the PS3 will work with Windows directly, or just through TCP/IP.

Nintendo Revolution playing NES GAMES natively? I orgasmed when I saw it. You know I'm buying one. Now I could (but I won't) get rid of all my NES consoles. (Am I still gonna need an extra memory chip for my Perfect Dark?) The design of the Revolution is tops, in my book.

The PS3 looks dumb, as far as I'm concerned. The 360 also looks dumb. Did anyone else see PS3 Bluetooth compatibility coming? I guess it makes sense... SONY-Ericsson, after all... 7 Controllers? Who gets to be the odd man out? Why didn't they just include another Bluetooth Master?

As far as the processing power of the PS3, I'm thinking there was a LOT of padding in that presentation... I just don't see how the CELL can be so much better than a TRIPLE-CORE ANYTHING... As far as graphics are concerned, the shots they showed convinced me that Sony has finally gone the right direction, achieving graphics equalling anything on the Xbox. No, I don't meant the 360. : p But seriously, I highly doubt the PS3 will outperform the 360, because I can't even imagine games taking advantage of that much power. Gigaflops are impressive, but how much computation does the average game do? Whoever said more than "little" is wrong.

I hope the PS3 will be a contender. I'm also pretty sure Microsoft knew what Sony was aiming for in terms of specs, and may either trump them when all is said and done, or simply let them "win", knowing that somewhere along the line, Sony is gonna fvck it up like always.

f

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueCoyote
MS is really taking a page from Apple by focusing more on processor throughput than raw strength. (For those of you PC owners, this is why an 800mhz G4 tends to clobber your 2ghz Pentium 4.)
Actually, a better analogy would be an Intel processor and an AMD processor. Comparing a Windows PC to an Apple PC is so far off-base that it becomes meaningless, especially since Apple constantly changes processor makers and types, while Windows natively supports Intel Machine Code.
Old 05-18-2005, 09:09 AM   #15
ccanady
Account Inactive

fever you seem like you know alot, or is it that I am dumb...lol Well I will be getting both and might chip in and get the revolution as I stop being a nintendo fan in the late 90's when PS1 came into my life and swept me away with Resident Evil 1. I hope all systems go along way and none suffer the same as Sega. As I like them all since they all brings something different to the table. I think we only need three systems and when Xbox, PS2, Dreamcast, and gamecube were out one of them had to fall, and it was Sega with their awesome games but lousy advertisment.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > Gadgets & Gaming > Who's going to win the game war?