Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 05-13-2005, 01:04 PM   #1
Jaggrey
Affirmative Action Mod

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: HTC One
Trades: 11
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 23,043
Send a message via AIM to Jaggrey Send a message via MSN to Jaggrey
LG MM535 Review (Looonng.... see 2nd post for stuff I actually forgot)

1. Reception - 10/10... seems pretty good so far. I've tested it in a weak area (an elevator here at school) where my 7400 would hold the call and it performed about the same. At my apt the dbs were within 1-2 of each other the whole time between it and the 7400. The only place I haven't tried it out yet is on the way home... there's an area where I get full signal but every phone i've had always drops the call. Seems more like a handoff issue.

2. LCD - 9/10... looks really sharp and clear.... 262k colors is amazing on a phone. I 1st experienced it on the A700, which has been the best screen that I've seen so far (haven't yet seen the 5600 or the A800 tho). It seems that they take advantage of the 176x220 resolution a little bit more than the 7400 with the same resolution. On the Vision homepage more information is displayed... about 2 more lines. In text messaging more information is also displayed. It's like with the Sanyo when they upp'd the resolution on their newer phones, some fonts got bigger as well but are also smooth, but takes up screen real estate. With the LG the text is a little smaller but still smooth and still readable, because of their good use of color.

3. Features - 8/10... everything works well.
  • Voice Memos can be set to anything (calls, callers, voicemail, text). I don't like that you can't set downloaded ringers to any alerts; they can only be set to calls and callers. Hopefully that will be fixed in a firmware update.
  • I like how the alarm clock has the Daily, Mon-Fri, Weekend, and Once options like most recent phones do. The alarm clock also has an on off function so you don't have to erase it if you don't want it to go off (like if you go on vacation or something). There's also a "Quick alarm" where you can set it for 10 mins, 30 mins, 1 hour, and 3 hours. It'd be nice if you could adjust it to a certain amount of time (like if you're cooking or doing laundry) but it works well.
  • You can save more than one number of each type in the phonebook. For example, for my non-Sprint people I have their regular mobile number and the same with a "1" in front (which is also saved as a mobile number). You can have mobile, home, office, pager, fax, and none, as well as an email address, caller group, memo, web page, and assigned image and ringer.
  • Caller groups!! come in handy if you know a bunch of people from school or church or somewhere outside of your regular everyday routine; you can categorize them. I like how the Samsungs take this one step further by allowing you to customize the ringer based on the caller group. The downside to the Samsung system is that they only give you three or four (which you can rename), whereas this phone allows you to have as many as you want.
  • Browser works well... not quite as fast as the 7400 but not slow either.

4. Menus - 9/10... I really like the UI on this phone. Everything looks good. I ended up using the list style because with the grid I couldn't always find what I was looking for without searching, since there are only icons. The text doesn't come up unless you highlight the icon, unlike how the Sanyos have the text written underneath the icon.

5. Earpiece - 10/10... Probably the best I've heard....it's comparable with the A700 that I used briefly, if not better. It's clear and can get pretty loud.

6. Ringers - 9.5/10... They sound good. QCPs are ridiculously loud on this phone. AAC files are pretty loud as well and sound fantastic. Too bad you can't assign them to voicemail or text message alerts (hoping for a firmware release that'll change that). Also when some1 calls, the sound kinda fades in but does so quickly. There are 7 settings: Vibrate, Low, Medium Low, Medium, Medium High, High, and High+Vibrate. Keep in mind these are the settings for everything... both ringers and speakerphone/earpiece. The Sanyos had Levels 1-8 for the earpiece/speakerphone, and Levels 1-4 for ringers. It seems that I've been using the middle settings more with this phone than any other, since High seems a little too loud sometimes, especially if I'm chilling at home by myself. The vibrate is good too. One feature I do miss is the 1-Beep option that Samsungs and newer Sanyos have, and being able to vibrate on every level would be handy (tho I haven't had this since the Nokias. I heard the A800 does tho).

7. Battery Life - 8/10... This is where it gets a little interesting. The battery seems to last a good while. I didn't have to charge it at all while putting in over 100 phone numbers, while playing with downloaded images and music, and the like (high screen usage). Like some1 else said, the battery bars (there are 4 of them, not the typical 3) fluctuate. By fluctuate you might see it dip down to maybe 3 bars whle on a call or sending a text message, but when you're done it'll jump back up to 4. Maybe it's a more realistic representation of the battery? I know with Sanyos once it dips down from 3 you need to get a move on, cuz the last 2 don't seem to last nearly as long. But for my average use it lasts just as long as my 7400 or maybe a hair less. The extended battery supposedly lasts 6.7 hours which is amazing, so if I ever end up using my phone more I'll get that.

8. Speakerphone - 8/10... Haven't used it much but it seems to work like any other phone. Still half-duplex.... people say I sound good tho. Best I've ever used was on a Treo.

9. Camera - 9.5/10... The best camera I've used on a cell phone. The 1.3MP pictures are good, tho in some situations they can be slightly dark. When the camera is going there is a very slight lag when hit the Options button initially, but after that everything is fine. It has all the basic options like Brightness and White Balance along with all the settings for quality and resolution. One downside is you can't record with unlimited length to the SD card, and all videos can only be 15 seconds regardless of quality. With the 7400 you can go up to 30 seconds if you decrease the quality.

10. Text Messaging - 9/10... The interface is pretty nice. It shows you how many characters are left instead of saying 120/160. However there's only room for 50 text messages in the Inbox, and 50 in the Outbox. Quite a drastic change from the 180/180 available on the Sanyos. Really the only thing I don't like about it is the signature option. With the 7400 you can set it to be on for all text messages or off. With this phone you have to set it in each message. The way it's set up is a little misleading, since when you go through the Settings menu there's a "none" option and a "custom" option. You'd think selecting "Custom" would enable it, but it doesn't. Not a big deal anyway....

11. Body - 8/10... The phone feels solid. It has a nice weight to it. It's not top heavy at all when the slider is open, but your finger naturally rests just underneath the camera lens. The slider is cool.. being my 1st one we'll see how long the novelty lasts. The only thing I don't like is typing using the top row of the numbers takes getting used to, since the top half of the phone is right there. Another thing I don't necessarily like is the keypad... it's decent but with some keys the feedback leaves something to be desired. Sometimes you don't think that the button has been pressed when it has, and other times it hasn't. Doesn't happen too much. You get used to it I guess.

12. Downloads & Stuff - 7/10... This is also interesting.
- The good: games and applications load really fast on the phone. It seems that the second you select a game or an app it shows the logo briefly then it's loaded. I love it!
- More good: 20MB of downloaded space! Even with all the demos and other crap that comes with a new phone, I have everything from my 7400 loaded on here and still have plenty of space.
- Annoying: Ringers that you've downloaded you can't scroll through. On the 7400 if you had a bunch of downloaded ringers you can hit left or right to go to the next one. With this phone you have to go back to the list then select another one. Furthermore, with AAC ringers it has to load the media player, then when it's done it has to exit the media player. It's a 1-second operation so it's not that big a deal. Not like i do this often but worth mentioning.
- The bad: Picture shares aren't sized correctly. When you receive a picture share and save it, it crops the image to 176x144, which leaves a nice white gap underneath the photo if you use it for wallpaper or callerid. Furthermore, it stretches out the picture horizontally for some odd reason, even if the picture already fits the width of the screen. The workaround to this for callerid pictures is to resize it yourself and send it to the phone, which then makes it appear in the screensaveer folder instead. Good thing there's so much memory on this phone. For pictures that you take with the phone and then "save to phone", the photo doesn't get stretched but still gets cropped to the 176x144. Hopefully that will be addressed in a firmware update. I've explained more here

Other stuff...
- I haven't used the media player except to watch some stuff from SprintTV, but it seems to work pretty good. No hiccups... quality seems to be the same as with any other phone. I haven't used the MP3 player or the Media Player for my own clips so I can't really comment on that.
- If AAC volume is any indicator of the MP3 player volume, playing through the speakerphone will be a loud experience!

Overall - 8.75/10
As my 1st LG, it's been a pretty positive experience. I still have my 7400 on standby in case something happens, but the likelihood that I'll switch back shrinks everyday!

R.I.P. lil bro... Jason Aggrey ~ 11/9/1989 - 10/3/2005

Welcome to Sprintusers!
If you see a post that violates our forum guidelines, click the button to let us know!

Last edited by Jaggrey; 05-13-2005 at 05:35 PM.
Jaggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2005, 05:31 PM   #2
Jaggrey
Affirmative Action Mod

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: HTC One
Trades: 11
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 23,043
Send a message via AIM to Jaggrey Send a message via MSN to Jaggrey
As long as that is I forgot to mention a few things:

Features:
  • With addressbook match ON, as you dial any consecutive digits in a phone number the choices pop up on the screen. Most phones have the 4 digit dial, but you don't know until after you hit "Talk" who it matches up with.
  • Pressing "Talk" will bring up your Call History: missed calls, outgoing, and incoming. It displays the name of the person that called and an icon of which number it was (work, home, mobile, etc.). The interface reminds me the most of the Treo.
  • You can customize each direction of the d-pad to be a shortcut to anything you want... menus and items within menus. If you need quick access to the calculator you can do it with this phone!
  • Alerts vibrate and ring at any level.

Downloaded Stuff: There's no thumbnail view for the screensaver view, as there is with the 7400.

Ok, I think I'm done now

R.I.P. lil bro... Jason Aggrey ~ 11/9/1989 - 10/3/2005

Welcome to Sprintusers!
If you see a post that violates our forum guidelines, click the button to let us know!

Last edited by Jaggrey; 05-13-2005 at 06:28 PM.
Jaggrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Phone Reviews > LG MM535 Review (Looonng)