Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-06-2004, 10:03 AM   #1
exactway
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Sanyo 5300
SU$: 210
Send a message via AIM to exactway Send a message via Yahoo to exactway
Port number from SPRINT PCS to other provider (VONAGE)

Has anyone here tried to port thier FROM Sprint to another provider? Has it been easy--- even if you're under contract?

I want to keep my service with Sprint, but I want a new cell number, and my old cell number I want with Vonage.

Vonage is cool because it has a BLAST-ME feature. That will ring my NEW cell phone number and at the SAME TIME also ring the office phone.
exactway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
ken_vs_ryu
Cordless Phone User

Phone: 5500
SU$: 42
it's too easy...someone messed up and asked for my # to be porter to verizon. it took a week to get it straightened out. my service wasn't affected, but i had trouble getting my account upgraded.
ken_vs_ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 10:50 AM   #3
fairoasis
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: 755/700P/8400
Trades: 6
SU$: 1,991
Number Port

I ported one of my Sprint lines to Verizon a couple of weeks ago. It took all of 5 minutes to complete. I ended up taking a hit with Sprint for the port since I am under contract. I assumed I could port without cost since I still had my account with Sprint and only ported one of the numbers. I was WRONG. It's a $150 hit for every number on your account that you port. So if you port both numbers on an account with the add-a-phone feature, it costs you $300 on the next bill. I also found out that if you want to drop your plan down on Sprint, it's another contract. So, from now until February I have 2000 min with Sprint @ $85/mo and then the new VZW account with 2000 min @ $99/mo. Live and learn huh?
Old 10-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Perfectance
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung A940
SU$: 566
Send a message via AIM to Perfectance Send a message via MSN to Perfectance Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectance
Phone companies can't stop you from taking your number as mandated by the FCC. However, when I was in the training classes, I was told that for some strange reason, if you are leaving Sprint, and want to port more than one number, it becomes complicated. It's still possible, but Sprint is just dragging their heel on the issue.

View the Pinnacle of Camera Phone Photography Perfectance!
Perfectance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:45 PM   #5
JesseRPI
Telephone User

Phone: Motorola V9m
SU$: 338
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairoasis
I ported one of my Sprint lines to Verizon a couple of weeks ago. It took all of 5 minutes to complete. I ended up taking a hit with Sprint for the port since I am under contract. I assumed I could port without cost since I still had my account with Sprint and only ported one of the numbers. I was WRONG. It's a $150 hit for every number on your account that you port. So if you port both numbers on an account with the add-a-phone feature, it costs you $300 on the next bill. I also found out that if you want to drop your plan down on Sprint, it's another contract. So, from now until February I have 2000 min with Sprint @ $85/mo and then the new VZW account with 2000 min @ $99/mo. Live and learn huh?
Why would you switch from $85/2000 min Sprint to $99/2000 Verizon???
Old 10-06-2004, 12:47 PM   #6
mcurtiss1970
Satellite Phone User

Trades: 2
SU$: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseRPI
Why would you switch from $85/2000 min Sprint to $99/2000 Verizon???
maybe sprint didn't work well where he was? it happens, you know....

mcurtiss1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 12:52 PM   #7
Hte2w8
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Treo 700
Trades: 2
SU$: 862
I could be wrong, but if you port your number I believe you will get hit with an EFT. I havent heard of anyone taking their number and leaving the account open.....but I'm sure there is away to do it.

Why talk when you can text
http://hte2w8.textamerica.com/?page=0
Hte2w8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2004, 04:34 PM   #8
KevinS281
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Toshiba 9950
SU$: 110
Send a message via ICQ to KevinS281 Send a message via AIM to KevinS281 Send a message via Yahoo to KevinS281
Once you port out a number the account (if only one line is on the account) is closed ... if you are under contract it will be $150 ETF per line ... what the OP is asking to do is impossible

Kevin
Old 10-06-2004, 08:14 PM   #9
fairoasis
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: 755/700P/8400
Trades: 6
SU$: 1,991
Answer to questions

1. The reason I ported ONE of my two Sprint lines to VZW was because I COULD NOT GET A SIGNAL when I was home. VZW on the other hand doesn't have an issue here.

2. I am not a HE, I'm a SHE thank you very much.

3. Clarification of EFT: I thought it went by account and it wasn't until after I ported that I realized it's by LINES ON THE ACCOUNT. Port one line on a one line acct = $150, account closed. Port one line on a two line acct = $150 EFT, account still open at normal monthly rate until your contract expires (in my case in Feb/05).

4. Point of the whole post: just to share my experiences with Sprint the last 2 weeks, the lessons I learned, and to share my opinion that if you're looking for a great little no frills phone to use on the fringes...consider the LG 5225.

Yall have a great day
Old 10-07-2004, 12:11 AM   #10
Perfectance
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung A940
SU$: 566
Send a message via AIM to Perfectance Send a message via MSN to Perfectance Send a message via Yahoo to Perfectance
funny, now that I look at it, I don't know why I thought 'fair oasis' was a manly SN.

Phone companies do not have to dissconnect you when you port your number away from them. I've come across MANY customers that had to call and cancel after they port out. It's very easy for a shifty company to continue sending the customer bills even though they don't have a number anymore. Or, what if they port was a mistake. Would you like it if an accidental port automatically dissconnected your service too?

View the Pinnacle of Camera Phone Photography Perfectance!
Perfectance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2004, 10:35 AM   #11
KevinS281
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Toshiba 9950
SU$: 110
Send a message via ICQ to KevinS281 Send a message via AIM to KevinS281 Send a message via Yahoo to KevinS281
Well Sprint system isn't another company's ... once the port is completed the line is expired and if it's the only phone on the account the account is closed and final bill will be generated

Kevin
Old 10-07-2004, 12:16 PM   #12
kp2575
Telegraph User

Phone: A660
SU$: 210
Send a message via AIM to kp2575 Send a message via Yahoo to kp2575
I have seen this with landline mostly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectance
funny, now that I look at it, I don't know why I thought 'fair oasis' was a manly SN.

Phone companies do not have to dissconnect you when you port your number away from them. I've come across MANY customers that had to call and cancel after they port out. It's very easy for a shifty company to continue sending the customer bills even though they don't have a number anymore. Or, what if they port was a mistake. Would you like it if an accidental port automatically dissconnected your service too?
Porting is really easy from cell to cell unless it is a small company like cricket or something like that. Most of the larger companies will term service once the port is complete because it is easier for everyone involved. Why drag it out when they are going to get bombarded with calls? Not worth it.

However I have seen a lot of problems with landline to cell ports. Some landline companies have to do it manually and the port just becomes a mess.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: