Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-17-2017, 08:10 PM   #1
PapitoSabe
Telephone User

SU$: 800
SERO Subsidy dead, until a couple of days ago.

I almost bought the phone with the subsidy (S7edge) for $349 plus 50 rebate making it 299. I tried to get the upgrade fee waived about 4 or 5 days ago. But no go. Now I go to buy it, and now subsidy available. Its been over 9 yrs that I've had a phone so I'm definitely due it. But nope. So now, SERO gets no subsidy, just the monthly lower rate, which is now $60 per month if you're just now upgrading from sero 500 to a new higher plan. Can't believe I missed out....well, yes I can.

edit. My mistake, if you log in as a new customer, they get the subsidy. So SERO folks get screwed.

Last edited by PapitoSabe; 01-17-2017 at 08:13 PM.
PapitoSabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
PapitoSabe
Telephone User

sorry, I should have said, "as of a few days ago." not "until a couple of days ago."
Old 01-23-2017, 04:25 PM   #3
jreuschl
Telegraph User

Phone: PPC 6700
SU$: 370
Yes, now the contract option is dead. This sucks. Shame on me for holding out for the S8...

Last edited by jreuschl; 01-23-2017 at 04:27 PM.
jreuschl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:39 PM   #4
macmov
Lazer Lightning

Phone: LG Optimus
SU$: 505
Yep, just found this out too. Sprint don't give 2 flying S... about long term customers.....bottom line, I am searching for another provider but I use unlimited data and having a hard time finding a good substitute to sprint....Damn!
macmov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #5
Nate-dawg
Telegraph User

Phone: Moto Q9C
SU$: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapitoSabe View Post
I almost bought the phone with the subsidy (S7edge) for $349 plus 50 rebate making it 299. I tried to get the upgrade fee waived about 4 or 5 days ago. But no go. Now I go to buy it, and now subsidy available. Its been over 9 yrs that I've had a phone so I'm definitely due it. But nope. So now, SERO gets no subsidy, just the monthly lower rate, which is now $60 per month if you're just now upgrading from sero 500 to a new higher plan. Can't believe I missed out....well, yes I can.

edit. My mistake, if you log in as a new customer, they get the subsidy. So SERO folks get screwed.
Buy a Motorola X Pure Edition, a great phone, then switch to any other carrier. Verizon Prepaid, Cricket, or T-M.
Nate-dawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 PM   #6
diestr0
Two Cans & String User

Phone: Note 5
SU$: 172
I called Sprint a week ago and again today and I got the same info both times, the first telesales person transferred me to "elite" telesales for customers who've been with them a long time. I was told I can keep my sero plan ($30+10$+$10) intact when upgrading phones, I would just have to ether pay new phone in 24 pymts or in full, and that I can break my sero 24mo agreement w/o penalty since I'm upgrading phones. Why keep sero you ask? well it has truly unlimited 4G data w/o caps unlike other "unlimited" plans from the other big 4, all other non big 4 carriers data plans are not even strong enough to hold a gps routing trip. Has anybody completed a successful phone upgrade and activation, kept sero, and was just billed monthly for the phone on top of seros $50?
diestr0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 11:35 PM   #7
Hot Sauce
Telegraph User

Phone: Galaxy S3
SU$: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by diestr0 View Post
I called Sprint a week ago and again today and I got the same info both times, the first telesales person transferred me to "elite" telesales for customers who've been with them a long time. I was told I can keep my sero plan ($30+10$+$10) intact when upgrading phones, I would just have to ether pay new phone in 24 pymts or in full, and that I can break my sero 24mo agreement w/o penalty since I'm upgrading phones. Why keep sero you ask? well it has truly unlimited 4G data w/o caps unlike other "unlimited" plans from the other big 4, all other non big 4 carriers data plans are not even strong enough to hold a gps routing trip. Has anybody completed a successful phone upgrade and activation, kept sero, and was just billed monthly for the phone on top of seros $50?
I'm interested to know this as well. Thinking of upgrading my Note 3 to either an iPhone 7 plus or a Galaxy Note 5, paying for the phone via installments. Wondering if activating either would kill my $50 SERO 500 plan
Hot Sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #8
Thrawn
Telegraph User

SU$: 297
Quote:
Originally Posted by jreuschl View Post
Yes, now the contract option is dead. This sucks. Shame on me for holding out for the S8...
Same here. I've been eligible for 5 months, and waiting for the G6 or S8. Now I lose my upgrade. What the heck Sprint!?
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #9
tivoboy
Telegraph User

SU$: 698
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrawn View Post
Same here. I've been eligible for 5 months, and waiting for the G6 or S8. Now I lose my upgrade. What the heck Sprint!?
same boat, was hoping to do an S8 even though at 54$ with tax, for my usage it's not really even worth it anymore.
tivoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:51 AM   #10
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
Trades: 2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,882
It seems the other options out there are getting better for us
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 04:49 PM   #11
snowdizx
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Treo 650
SU$: 1,346
I've been reading elsewhere, if you call Telesales and you say you're going to leave Sprint because of the lack of a 24 month contract option on a phone, that they will add it back for you and let you get the discounted phone. I'd be curious, however, as I still have 12 months left on my current phone and my other lines aren't ready yet for an upgrade. Has anyone tried this tactic in the past week or so?
snowdizx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:08 AM   #12
japper88
Telephone User

Phone: Galaxy S6
SU$: 1,119
Anyone know what will happen if I preorder the S8 via the Sprint website? I have SERO 500 Premium. When I login the 24 month payment plan is an option. I added it to my cart and went all the way to the end of the checkout, I did not see anything about changing my plan. Is the issue when you try to activate the phone?

When I got my S6 on SERO 2 years ago, it just self activated online with no issues...

I did the math and at least for now SERO 500 Premium is still the best deal for me even if I have to pay full price for the phone... but if I have to pay $10 more it no longer is...
Old 04-10-2017, 02:31 AM   #13
PapitoSabe
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by japper88 View Post
Anyone know what will happen if I preorder the S8 via the Sprint website? I have SERO 500 Premium. When I login the 24 month payment plan is an option. I added it to my cart and went all the way to the end of the checkout, I did not see anything about changing my plan. Is the issue when you try to activate the phone?

When I got my S6 on SERO 2 years ago, it just self activated online with no issues...

I did the math and at least for now SERO 500 Premium is still the best deal for me even if I have to pay full price for the phone... but if I have to pay $10 more it no longer is...
no issue...the issue is that their is no phone subsidy like before....you should be fine as far as the plan...if you're on the s6 at $50, it won't change. now for me, it would go from $30 to $60 is what I"m hearing...I also heard it may be $50 like most of y'all..
Old 04-12-2017, 08:28 AM   #14
SmoothieKing534
Telegraph User

Phone: S5
SU$: 483
I have searched, but can't seem to find the answer to my questions. I need help brainstorming, as I have been on Sero since the beginning (circa 2000). I am not a huge data user, as I mainly use Wifi and the reception isn't a problem. I was holding out for the S8+, as my 2 year renewal came up a few months ago. Now that I'm not able to renew, I was thinking about pre-ordering the s8+ at Sam's club. So, here is where I need help.

1. Should I keep Sero (500 premium @ $56 a month) with an S8+ or is there a better option?
2. If I purchase from Sam's, what the "punishment" from Sprint.
3. I would rather pay for the phone out right, as I generally keep them for a few years.

I am totally lost, whether I should keep Sero or move to another plan. I have notice on newer plan, after a year pricing becomes sketchy!
SmoothieKing534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:53 AM   #15
njchris
Telegraph User

Phone: Iphone 6+ 64gb
SU$: 443
Hmmm... so I have 2 SERO lines = $100

New plans show $60 + $40 with autopay and include 10gb tethering.

Wouldn't this be better than what I have now? What's the downside to switch to that? With no subsidy and no tethering on SERO, what's the reason to stay on SERO?

I also have a company discount so it would be around $85 that I can't apply to SERO.
njchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Tips & Tricks - All Carriers > SERO > SERO Subsidy dead, until a couple of days ago.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: