Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-25-2015, 12:22 AM   #1
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Question Google takes a major step toward becoming your wireless carrier..

http://bgr.com/2015/01/23/google-sprint-wireless-deal/

Quote:

After reports from The Information and The Wall Street Journal said earlier this week that Google is interested in becoming a carrier in the U.S. by purchasing wholesale access from Sprint and T-Mobile, Bloomberg Businessweek has learned that Google has indeed reached a deal with Sprint in order to sell wireless service directly to consumers.

FROM EARLIER: Google is going to sell wireless data plans ‘directly’ to consumers

People familiar with the matter told the publication that Masayoshi Son, the president of SoftBank Corp, the Japanese giant who purchased Sprint, was “integral in facilitating the talks between Sprint and Google.”

It’s not clear how much Google is paying Sprint for access, but the financial terms are said to be similar to other mobile virtual network operators (MVNO). Also at this time, it’s not clear what Google will charge customers, but the service might be launched at some point this year.

The report doesn’t say whether a similar deal with T-Mobile has also been reached, though it mentions that the “Uncarrier” mobile operator is also in talks with Google, at least according to recent rumors.

For Google, this wouldn’t be the first time it’s provided such services to consumers. The company already operates Google Fiber Internet networks and Wi-Fi hotspots in certain areas. Furthermore, the company has other, wilder, plans to bring Internet coverage in areas where traditional access isn’t available — the company may use balloons and/or satellites to beam down data from the sky.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:55 AM   #2
SLME
Satellite Phone User

It appears the deal is done. http://www.phonearena.com/news/Googl...t-MVNO_id65195
Old 02-13-2015, 05:22 AM   #3
Hwfa
Two Cans & String User

Phone: I300
SU$: 107
It’s not clear how much Google is paying Sprint for access, but the financial terms are said to be similar to other mobile virtual network operators (MVNO). Also at this time, it’s not clear what Google will charge customers, but the service might be launched at some point this year.
Old 02-13-2015, 08:14 AM   #4
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
I am interested in Google's service. I hope they are competitive.
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:12 PM   #5
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
Knowing Google it will be dirt cheap with pop up ads galore
YPG (02-14-2015)
Old 02-14-2015, 12:08 AM   #6
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
Knowing Google it will be dirt cheap with pop up ads galore
No doubt.
YPG (02-14-2015)
Old 03-05-2015, 10:32 PM   #7
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Here is an update and an insult to boot. http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/5/815...ervice-nexus-6

Quote:
Google's new wireless service will reportedly only work on the Nexus 6

The wireless service that Google all but confirmed this week will only work on the Nexus 6 smartphone, according to a new report. The Wall Street Journal, citing sources familiar with the matter, says Google's service could launch as soon as late March. But it won't work with any phone other than Google's current flagship device, which is manufactured by Motorola Mobility.

During an appearance at Mobile World Congress on Monday, Google's Sundar Pichai said Google is working with "existing partners" to create an MVNO, a type of wireless service built on top of infrastructure owned by other carriers. The Journal reported that Google's service, which will switch between cellular networks and Wi-Fi, will be built on top of T-Mobile and Sprint's US networks.

Why limit Google's wireless service to the Nexus 6? The Journal suggests that building a phone that works well on an MVNO requires seamless integration between hardware and software, and other manufacturers often modify Android. Another possible reason: Pichai indicated Monday that Google intends to keep the service small — "We don't intend to become a carrier at scale," he said. Limiting your network to a single phone would be one good way to do that.
YPG (03-07-2015)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Other Carriers & MVNOs > Google takes a major step toward becoming your wireless carrier..

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: