Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #1
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

Phone: HTC One M9
SU$: 4,493
Old phone question

I have an old Samsung Droid Charge that I used back when I was with Verizon. I'd forgotten I even had it until I was rummaging through a drawer.

Anyway, I decided to give it to my daughter to keep as a backup. But I decided to do a factory reset before I give it to her. I started the reset and when it started back up, it wanted a sim card installed. Well, that was long gone in a phone I used after that one, so I stopped in to a Verizon store and picked one up. Got home, put it in the phone and started the phone up to finish the reset. Now it tells me that there is a problem with the activation. I DON'T WANT TO ACTIVATE IT!! I'm not even with Verizon any longer. I just want to finish the reset so that my daughter can activate it *IF* she needs to.

Any suggestions?
cheezit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 09:07 PM   #2
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
It's probably reset
Old 03-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #3
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

It boots to the point where it says "Setup Wizard" on the band across the top and "please wait" across the main screen. Eventually, a notice comes up that says "There's a problem with activating your phone. Please restart and try again, or contact customer service."

Restarting the phone gets me right back to the same place. And I don't want to call customer service because I do not want to activate the phone. So unless there is some magical trick they would use to get the phone to go past where it is now, then I guess it is nothing more than a paper weight.
Old 03-05-2015, 11:28 PM   #4
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
I have an old Samsung Droid Charge that I used back when I was with Verizon. I'd forgotten I even had it until I was rummaging through a drawer.

Anyway, I decided to give it to my daughter to keep as a backup. But I decided to do a factory reset before I give it to her. I started the reset and when it started back up, it wanted a sim card installed. Well, that was long gone in a phone I used after that one, so I stopped in to a Verizon store and picked one up. Got home, put it in the phone and started the phone up to finish the reset. Now it tells me that there is a problem with the activation. I DON'T WANT TO ACTIVATE IT!! I'm not even with Verizon any longer. I just want to finish the reset so that my daughter can activate it *IF* she needs to.

Any suggestions?
Without a SIM the phone won't do anything. Some AT&T phones are like that also.

If you had a old SIM laying around that is deactivated that would work, but Verizon giving you a new SIM most likely would trigger the system to activate it as Verizon programs this to happen for new SIM just for G.P.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:14 AM   #5
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

Even *IF* I wanted to activate the phone, I don't know how they would go about it. As I said, it gets to a certain point and just basically quits, telling me to call customer service or restart the phone. What can customer service do to make the phone go past where it is stuck?
Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
SLME
Satellite Phone User

Mood: Dead
Phone: Nexus 6
Trades: 11
My Mood: Dead
SU$: 57,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezit View Post
Even *IF* I wanted to activate the phone, I don't know how they would go about it. As I said, it gets to a certain point and just basically quits, telling me to call customer service or restart the phone. What can customer service do to make the phone go past where it is stuck?
The system is automated, and Customer Service would only activate the SIM if called is all they would do for ya.

All in all without any further explanation on the subject you have an excellent paper weight to use.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: