Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-19-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
m3driver
Telegraph User

Phone: LG G3
SU$: 107
G3 has issues with iOS (Apple) email's

If you use the native email app (not gmail) to sync to email servers using IMAP or POP3 then, when an email is received from an iOS (Apple) client with an attachment AND an auto signature, the text of the message will not be displayed when the message is opened. The text WILL be displayed while looking at the inbox if the preview setting is enabled.
m3driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
CzechPleaz
Telephone User

Mood: Goofy
Phone: Nexus 6
My Mood: Goofy
SU$: 1,103
Not sure I understand what issue you're describing. I have received email from senders who use iPhone via the native email client on my G3.

Does the issue you're experiencing happen from ALL email that originated on an iPhone?
Does the issue happen when email originates from an iPad?
Does the issue only happen when configured to use IMAP or POP3? What about Exchange?
What are the mail server settings of the sender? Various?
Are the senders on a different data network (ATT, VZW, home WiFi)?

#sprintemployee
Old 07-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #3
m3driver
Telegraph User

Yes it happens on all email from any iOS client - iPhone or IPad.
Yes it happens if the email is being read from a corporate Exchange server as well as gmail etc. via IMAP
The sender data network has no impact on the issue.

I have a ticket open with Sprint Engineering and they have confirmed that it is an issue.
Furthermore they indicated that it affects all LG handsets and a few other vendors (didn't catch which ones) It does not affect Samsung devices. It has been a week since Engineering last contacted me. I hope they have escalated this to LG/Android as I receive many emails per day that I cannot read and it is impacting my business.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM   #4
CzechPleaz
Telephone User

I've had three team members test the scenario you describe above. All three are unable to replicate the issue.

In talking with the guys who are researching the issue here at Sprint, no one has confirmed this as being a LG device issue. We have confirmed there's a problem in certain situations, but our testing leads us to believe the problem lies with how Apple devices send messages to/through certain email providers; e.g. not Yahoo, Gmail or Exchange but with other ISP managed mail systems.

We see the same issue on non-LG devices under the same circumstances. The common factors are emails sent by Apple devices with attachments to certain types of email accounts with various configurations.

#sprintemployee
Old 07-29-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
m3driver
Telegraph User

OK - now I'm confused - my last conversation with Sprint led me to believe it had been reproduced.

If you have a G3 and are using the native email app to sync to a gmail account I will send you a message from an iPad which will reproduce the issue. Of course I'll need your email address LOL.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:57 AM   #6
m3driver
Telegraph User

I forgot to say in my previous reply that this problem is reproducible for all the email accounts I have tested, including gmail, on-prem exchange and Office 365.

Furthermore the issue is NOT with Apple (iOS). If you examine the message content you will not find any violations of the RFC's (rules) governing SMTP (I am speaking as a software engineer who has developed client and server side SMTP protocol stacks). This is also supported by the fact that the if the message is sent to a gmail account then the gmail app on the LG will render the message correctly, as will Outlook, gmail web app and the native email app on the Samsung and HTC.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the issue in detail and explain where the issue lies with an engineer who has a detailed understanding of SMTP.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:52 AM   #7
CzechPleaz
Telephone User

Thanks for the detail and comments. I've done some personal testing. My conclusions are mixed. I tested sending email from my iPad configured with auto-sig and including a ~.JPG attachment. I configured two devices, LG G3 and Samsung Galaxy S5 Sport, with a Yahoo email account using the native email client on each device.

Results:
LG G3: A few lines of the email shows in preview (just as you stated). The body of the email shows just fine when I open the message in the native email client. I had no issues reading the email in the native client. The iPad auto-sig does not show inline with the email message body. It shows as a 2nd ~.txt attachment. The ~.jpg attachment is attached.

GS5Sport: A few lines of the email shows in preview (same as with LG G3). The body of the email shows just fine when I open the message in the native email client. The iPad auto-sig DOES SHOW inline with the email message body. The ~.jpg attachment is attached.

Conclusion: The LG UI email client seems to interpret some aspects of iOS auto-sigs differently than other device clients. However, the email body is fully and completely readable in my testing. I'm not sure if LG purposely strips away auto-sig (from iOS or any other clients) to reduce "extra" or "wasted" ASCII characters for delivery efficiency, choosing to include them as an attachment which gives the user the OPTION to download, or if it's a flaw in client code.

The LG UI is fairly polished and designed well. I'm not saying any UI is flawless, for sure. However, I tend to believe the LG email client is interpreting certain code as "optional" for delivery efficiency and saving the customer on data charges.

#sprintemployee
Old 07-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #8
m3driver
Telegraph User

Ah, I think I understand why your results are better than mine.

In my failing tests the iOS signature is an HTML attachment not TXT (this is because the signature itself is constructed using complex formatting - color, bold, italic etc.). It never struck me until now that iOS would encode the signature differently based on content but in retrospect that makes sense.

Could you repeat your test with a formatted signature - confirm that the attachment is HTML.

I will also send you my email address through a PM so you could CC me and I will let you know if the test passes/fails on my phone.

Alan
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > G3 has issues with iOS (Apple) email's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: