Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-01-2014, 08:34 AM   #1
dvdmon
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 3D
SU$: 2,067
Send a message via AIM to dvdmon Send a message via MSN to dvdmon Send a message via Yahoo to dvdmon
Pricing of iPhone 5s now vs. in September

My mother-in-law, who is on our plan, is elligible to upgrade her phone. She currently has an iPhone 4 or 4s, I can't recall. I'm not very knowledgeable about iPhones (more so Android). She wants to upgrade but given that Apple is rumored to be coming out with their next gen phone in September, I'm guessing that the 5s will go down significantly in price when that happens. But I wanted to check in with people here who might be more knowledgeable about that especially in regards to Sprint, since I know their pricing isn't always the cheapest compared to other retailers.

While we theoretically could go to another retailer, the problem is that we are in a older employee-based plan which makes upgrading outside of Sprint difficult. They have to call Sprint on the phone when they are doing the upgrade and often the rep will say it can't be done without changing our plan. The last time I did this, the first rep said no, the second rep said they could but had to switch the plan temporarily, upgrade (my wife's) phone, then switch it back. This was at Best Buy. Given the possibility that we wouldn't even be able to get this to work next time, I'd rather not risk going to a third-party store if possible.

The other thing is that since she's not very tech-savvy and I don't know much about iPhones, we need a place that can help her transfer her stuff from the old phone to the new one, which also limits our choices. I'd assume an Apple store would be the best in that regard, but again, I'm concerned they would run into this issue with upgrading her phone.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on the pricing of the 5s once the 6 comes out, especially at Sprint, I'd love to hear it!
dvdmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 11:52 AM   #2
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
My mother-in-law, who is on our plan, is elligible to upgrade her phone. She currently has an iPhone 4 or 4s, I can't recall. I'm not very knowledgeable about iPhones (more so Android). She wants to upgrade but given that Apple is rumored to be coming out with their next gen phone in September, I'm guessing that the 5s will go down significantly in price when that happens. But I wanted to check in with people here who might be more knowledgeable about that especially in regards to Sprint, since I know their pricing isn't always the cheapest compared to other retailers.

While we theoretically could go to another retailer, the problem is that we are in a older employee-based plan which makes upgrading outside of Sprint difficult. They have to call Sprint on the phone when they are doing the upgrade and often the rep will say it can't be done without changing our plan. The last time I did this, the first rep said no, the second rep said they could but had to switch the plan temporarily, upgrade (my wife's) phone, then switch it back. This was at Best Buy. Given the possibility that we wouldn't even be able to get this to work next time, I'd rather not risk going to a third-party store if possible.

The other thing is that since she's not very tech-savvy and I don't know much about iPhones, we need a place that can help her transfer her stuff from the old phone to the new one, which also limits our choices. I'd assume an Apple store would be the best in that regard, but again, I'm concerned they would run into this issue with upgrading her phone.

Anyway, if anyone has thoughts on the pricing of the 5s once the 6 comes out, especially at Sprint, I'd love to hear it!
I would suggest going to Apple. Dealing directly with Apple is usually the best way. If you're waiting for say the 5s to come down in price, then yes Apple generally reduces the price and you can pay the full price for it (at whatever reduction Apple gives it due to the iPhone 6 being out) and get a contract free phone. Apple also has a trade-in deal, so if your MIL is good with giving her phone back she can use that to pay a good portion of the new phone. Ask Apple not to activate the phone. Whether you pay full price or not they should be able to grant that request.

You can always ask them too about doing it for you and see what they say. Apple is all about customer service and they are directly linked in to all of the carriers systems so they may be able to do for you what Best Buy had problems with.

I have to assume that your MIL already has an Apple ID because to download any apps an Apple ID is required. Apple will ask her to back up to iCloud (in store). An iCloud backup will capture all her pictures, texts, email and app settings/content. It will not capture any videos that are NOT in the Photo app. So, if she has any videos in there and not in the Camera Roll (Photo app) then she may want to use iTunes to back up before she goes to Apple. When she gets the new phone, the Apple Genius can walk here through restoring from her backup. Any apps that she had will automatically start to redownload when she reboots. If she has a lot of apps then that may take some time. I'd suggest sticking around on Apple's WiFi until all the apps are completely downloaded.

The rumor is that the iPhone 6 will launch in September. So, if true, there are still a few months to go.

I know Walmart has recently reduced 16GB iPhone 5s's to $29, but I don't believe that's Sprint and I highly doubt they can do for you what you need.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #3
dvdmon
Telephone User

Send a message via AIM to dvdmon Send a message via MSN to dvdmon Send a message via Yahoo to dvdmon
Thanks for the tip. No, she doesn't have the money to buy the phone contract-free. Best Buy is tied into all the carriers as well, the problem is that because we have a special "account type" they can't access the account on their machine, they have to call Sprint and have them do it for them. I assume the same situation will hold for Apple, but at least there it seems like she can get very expert help transferring her stuff. We'll just have to cross our fingers that they will be able to get through to someone at Sprint that can help, which seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot...
Old 07-01-2014, 12:19 PM   #4
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvdmon View Post
Thanks for the tip. No, she doesn't have the money to buy the phone contract-free. Best Buy is tied into all the carriers as well, the problem is that because we have a special "account type" they can't access the account on their machine, they have to call Sprint and have them do it for them. I assume the same situation will hold for Apple, but at least there it seems like she can get very expert help transferring her stuff. We'll just have to cross our fingers that they will be able to get through to someone at Sprint that can help, which seems to be somewhat of a crapshoot...
When you go in, explain your situation to the Genius. They, or their manager should be able to help you. Apple, because it makes the iPhone is in a much better position to deal with Sprint than any other retailer.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to blow smoke up your skirt and give you a "It'll be fine" pep talk. I may very well be totally wrong and Apple might not be able to help at all in this case. But, all I can relate is my experience with them and that they usually go above and beyond for the customer. Take that as you will.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 12:33 PM   #5
dvdmon
Telephone User

Thanks, I appreciate the help.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:35 AM   #6
MsRandall
The SU Goddess
Retired Moderator

Mood: Amazed
Phone: 64gb iPhone 5s
Trades: 34
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 40,296
Many 3rd party carriers are offering trade in for free 5s iPhones because the new iPhone 6 will be out soon. If she still has a 4 or 4s a 5s will be a great upgrade

Try and find a better iPhone deal than the one at Best Buy this weekend.

Now through Sunday, customers can trade in their working iPhone and receive up to $200 in guaranteed Trade-In credit when they upgrade to an iPhone 5s or iPhone 5c. Verizon Wireless and Sprint customers who trade in an iPhone 5 or iPhone 4s can walk out of our stores with a new iPhone 5s, plus a $100 or $50 Best Buy gift card.

Here’s how it works:
•Trade in a working iPhone 5 and get a guaranteed minimum $200 Best Buy gift card – that makes the iPhone 5s 16GB free on AT&T, Sprint and Verizon Wireless.
•If it’s a iPhone 4s, get a guaranteed minimum $150 gift card – that makes the iPhone 5s 16GB free on Sprint and Verizon and $49.99 on AT&T.
•Trade in the iPhone 4 and get a guaranteed minimum $100 gift card – that makes the iPhone 5s 16GB free on Sprint and Verizon and $99.99 on AT&T.

Blessed to have my Mother as my guardian angel since 12/19/06..I love and miss you so much!!!!
MsRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #7
dvdmon
Telephone User

Well, turns out that Apple couldn't do the upgrade! Went to Best Buy but it turned out that Sprint had a much better price on the 32GB 5c ($100 vs. Best Buy's $200!). Sprint would only give her $65 for her 4s, while Best Buy would give her $105, but Apple trumps both with $200, so she ended up upgrading at Sprint but will go to Apple to get $200 which she's going to put towards an iPad mini.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > Pricing of iPhone 5s now vs. in September

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: