Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-23-2014, 03:47 PM   #1
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
YPG LG VIPER Refurb Review

4" WVGA scratch resistant screen
5oz
480x800 display
1.2GHZ dual-core processor
5MP RC/FFC - 0.3MP with flash on RC
1700mAh battery
3.5mm audio jack and power button on top.
Volume rocker and micro-USB port on left side.
2GB internal, up to 32GB mSD card.
Removable battery
Android 4.0
1900MHZ LTE
Plastic casing

I decided to do a review on this phone because Sprint is offering a new one for $0 with a new line or upgrade. You might be poor and desperate for LTE as I was so here it goes:

I got this phone as a replacement to My EVO DESIGN from the Sprint website for $99 off-contract. It is a green, eco-friendly device made from 50% recycled plastic. It feels a bit hefty but slides into your back pocket easily.

The DESIGN is a larger phone but the screens are the same size. Camera pics seemed a bit dark but videos were recorded in 1080p. JBS tail was a bit blurry in these pics and vids.

Call quality was sub-par. Conversations sounded muffled and callers complained of not being able to hear Me if I was not in a quiet environment.

There are a number of pre-installed apps including the usual Sprint bloatware is non-removable. Apps can be saved to mSD. To move apps back and forth, press Apps, menu, App settings. Long press an app and a menu will pop up with options to move the app if possible and also Force stop, Disable and Clear data.
You will also find the permissions the app requires for use. How much System memory used and available is also displayed here.

The home, menu, back and search buttons are separated from the rest of the display. A thin earpiece is at the top of the screen with the FFC located to the right.

This phone has NFC which can be used with Google Wallet to pay at certain retailers. It also has Android Beam which can beam app content such as contacts, browser pages, YT vids and more to another device with AB held close together.

NEAT FEATURES:
Favorites - List of contacts designated as Favorites in separate tab to quickly access the numbers.
Data Usage - Shows data usage and what apps are using how much. Limit mobile data usage option. Not that this is even needed on Sprint.
Light sensor and proximity sensor.
Noise reduction - Reduce the background noise while using hands-free call.
3 font types
4 font sizes
Home backup & restore - Backup and restore app/widget configuration, theme.
Can have calendar on lock screen (wish it highlighted days you have set in your GC).
Can change icons on lock screen.
Flip phone to silence incoming calls.
Flip phone to snooze or stop alarm.
Flip phone to pause video.
Power saver can be turned on at 30% and select features can be chosen to turn off.
Display battery %, no app needed.
Battery use details easily accessible under Settings, Power Saver.

STEALTH MODE:
Silent sound profile - No sounds except for alarms and media if allowed.
Can turn off notifications and vibrations in status bar for calls and text.
Quiet Time: Set times to turn off all sounds except alarm and media.
No flashing LED.
Power button can be set to instantly lock.
You can encrypt this phone.

WHAT MAKES ME SAD:
Battery life! I can not go a day without charging My phone. I use My phone a lot so I do not get more than 3-4 hours of battery per charge.
The shape, seems kind of boxy and a little old-fashioned on design despite being the first Sprint LTE phone.
Calls were faint at times.
Did not always pick up LTE signal right away.
It drove Me crazy when the lock screen icons did not update in a timely manner after clearing email or text.

This phone was blazing fast compared to the DESIGN and it was nice to get close to almost Vanilla Android. Phone chugged along on 3G but showed its speed on LTE.

If you are broke and have a broken phone without insurance, this will get you by.

Last edited by YPG; 03-23-2014 at 03:57 PM.
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 04:35 PM   #2
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
The scratch resistant screen has held up remarkably well by the way.
JBS likes to turn off My alarms and I have no scratches.

Last edited by YPG; 03-23-2014 at 04:37 PM.
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

SU$: 0
Moved to the LG section per OP request to allow for questions and discussion.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > YPG LG VIPER Refurb Review

Tags
lg viper, review, ypg

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: