Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 PM   #1
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: Verizon S7 Edge
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 129,291
Comcast Set to Acquire Time Warner Cable for $45 Billion

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02/...ype=blogs&_r=0

Comcast will announce a deal to acquire Time Warner Cable in an all-stock deal worth more than $45 billion that will unite the biggest and second largest cable television operators in the country, according to people briefed on the matter.

The surprise merger — expected to be announced on Thursday — is likely to bring to an end a protracted takeover battle that a smaller cable rival, Charter Communications, has been waging for Time Warner Cable, and will be the second major deal for Comcast in recent years to radically reshape the American media landscape.

Time Warner Cable shareholders will receive 2.875 shares of newly issued Comcast common stock for each of their shares. Based on Comcast’s closing price of $55.24 on Wednesday, that values each Time Warner Cable share at about $158.82 each.

The combination of the two is certain to attract antitrust scrutiny by regulators.

David Faber of CNBC earlier reported the deal.

Not sure how I feel about this. Have TWC now, haven't heard too many good things about Comcast from relatives that are in Comcast areas.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:24 PM   #2
Matt
No H8

Mood: none
Phone: Galaxy S8
Trades: 5
SU$: 80,383
I love Comcast services but they aren't much of a value.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z using Tapatalk.
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2014, 11:48 PM   #3

SU$: 0
If this gets regulatory approval I will have lost what little faith I had in the FCC left.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Matt (02-13-2014)
Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 AM   #4
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
If this gets regulatory approval I will have lost what little faith I had in the FCC left.
If they approve it without requiring the new company to divest certain areas, or to actually cover less profitable rural areas, I will wonder who works for who, business or the government. I know of rural areas with need for high speed internet that can't get service as it's 5 miles of cable to run with maybe 20 customers along the way till you get to a town with 20-30 houses that may want to buy cable, internet, etc. Comcast has shown zero interest in serving those customers. They have no real option on internet but dial up, or limited wireless data.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
cookie1069
ROLL TIDE

Mood: Devilish
Phone: Galaxy Note 4
My Mood: Devilish
SU$: 112
Send a message via AIM to cookie1069 Send a message via Yahoo to cookie1069
This will be interesting for Time Warner customers.
Old 02-13-2014, 07:28 AM   #6
Dan
Forever my Angel

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#sectio.../p2p-79282712/

The new company will divest 3 million customers. That means Comcast only wants 9 of the 12 million.

Sent from my HTCONE
Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM   #7
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Note 40
Trades: 10
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 189,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie1069 View Post
This will be interesting for Time Warner customers.
I hate Time Warner...lol Wish I never switched from Wow.
Old 02-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #8
YPG
You down with YPG?

Mood: onvacation
Phone: M1 for life!
Trades: 13
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 42,357
Down with TWC!

What will this mean for the cost of services?

Will I actually be able to get a rep on the line who will note that the cable/internet is having problems instead of a rep who always blames their slow/pour service on the router I did not buy from them?
YPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #9

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
If they approve it without requiring the new company to divest certain areas, or to actually cover less profitable rural areas, I will wonder who works for who, business or the government. I know of rural areas with need for high speed internet that can't get service as it's 5 miles of cable to run with maybe 20 customers along the way till you get to a town with 20-30 houses that may want to buy cable, internet, etc. Comcast has shown zero interest in serving those customers. They have no real option on internet but dial up, or limited wireless data.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk
Yup like me, comcast covers up until about 5 miles from my house then nada. Luckily im not stuck with dial up I can at least get DSL but 5mb down / .5mb up is hardly high speed my cell gets 9-10X that speed.
Old 02-13-2014, 10:43 AM   #10
Dan
Forever my Angel

My relatives are too far for DSL, they are lucky that Wal-Mart has a contract with Verizon for truck monitoring, or else cell service would not be available there either.

Sent from my HTCONE
Old 02-13-2014, 11:40 AM   #11
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
Ugh, stuff like this just basically means that we'll never have competition for broadband internet and pay-TV services. Other than regional offerings, we're pretty much down to 3 providers: Comcast/TWC, Verizon, and AT&T. Verizon and AT&T won't even touch each others' territory, so it's really just 2 providers, and none of the companies are willing to take a hit on profits and expand to new areas. And despite how much "cord cutters" like to think they're sticking it to the businesses, they're really only sticking it to themselves. Bringing down profits for cable companies by discontinuing TV service is much more likely to make them raise prices and institute caps on internet service to make up for the lost money. Plus, with less money and less people signing up for services, they have less incentive to expand or compete.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 01:23 PM   #12
trumajor
IPhone User

SU$: 1,802
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49
Ugh, stuff like this just basically means that we'll never have competition for broadband internet and pay-TV services. Other than regional offerings, we're pretty much down to 3 providers: Comcast/TWC, Verizon, and AT&T. Verizon and AT&T won't even touch each others' territory, so it's really just 2 providers, and none of the companies are willing to take a hit on profits and expand to new areas. And despite how much "cord cutters" like to think they're sticking it to the businesses, they're really only sticking it to themselves. Bringing down profits for cable companies by discontinuing TV service is much more likely to make them raise prices and institute caps on internet service to make up for the lost money. Plus, with less money and less people signing up for services, they have less incentive to expand or compete.
Expensive, Expensive, Expensive. My Comcast bill goes up like all the time. I'm already at $150.00 a month. The part that annoys me is that many stations including premium channels continue to show repeats. I have been waiting over 5 years for better competition and I feel it's not coming. I'm in Florida and so many people here have turned off cable all together. The prices are ridiculous. Most can't afford it and the ones that keep it do it mostly for boredom and their kids.
trumajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2014, 03:58 PM   #13
cookie1069
ROLL TIDE

Mood: Devilish
Phone: Galaxy Note 4
My Mood: Devilish
SU$: 112
Send a message via AIM to cookie1069 Send a message via Yahoo to cookie1069
Comcast, Time Warner Cable Deal Is A Disaster For Customers

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...6pLid%3D442486

They say two wrongs don't make a right, and consumers are about to get proof of that with the merger of Comcast and Time Warner Cable.

The $45 billion merger announced Thursday might be a win for both companies, but it will be no victory for their combined 30 million customers, who are already among the least-happy customers in all of Corporate America.

The two companies last year were the lowest-scoring cable companies in the American Customer Satisfaction Index, mainly because of the weakness of their customer service. That made them the least-loved companies in one of the least-loved industries for customer satisfaction. The only two industries with worse customer-satisfaction ratings, according to Consumerist, are newspapers and internet providers. By the way, Comcast and Time Warner Cable are also internet providers.

Little wonder, then, that the two companies were near the top of Consumerist's Worst Company In America contest last year, based on unscientific online polling. Comcast, which took home the title of Worst Company in 2010, reached the Final Four in 2013, after beating Time Warner Cable in the Elite Eight.

The companies, naturally, are putting the best face on the merger.

“The combination of Time Warner Cable and Comcast creates an exciting opportunity for our company, for our customers, and for our shareholders,” Comcast CEO Brian Roberts said in a press release. The company did not immediately respond to a request for further comment.

"When you consider Comcast’s accomplishments in delivering cutting edge television and broadband services in their markets, bringing their innovations on an accelerated basis to Time Warner Cable markets is a big win for consumers," Time Warner Cable spokesperson Bobby Amirshahi said in an email to the Huffington Post.
Old 02-13-2014, 11:31 PM   #14
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 16,424
I like Comcast service for internet. Tv is ridiculous and expensive. Hell it's both expensive. But it's reliable and great here

Sent from my iPad using SU Forum
Old 02-14-2014, 07:03 AM   #15
trumajor
IPhone User

SU$: 1,802
I also can't stand when they send those contracted repair guys. They always try to Bill you for something you shouldn't be charged for. Always check your bills.
trumajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Tech News Desk > Comcast Set to Acquire Time Warner Cable for $45 Billion