Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-20-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
miamisaint
Telegraph User

SU$: 947
I recently downloaded this program to so called help with marketing research etc and it messed up my icons on my iphone 5. After updates the icons would be blank and I would have to restart my phone. Anyone know about this program? I had to go to apple store for them to fix the problem and the rep told me it's similar to jailbreaking because they have access to your entire phone??? I would appreciate any clarifications on the matter. I will attach a screen shot of what my icons looked like. The exact program name was Mobile Xpression
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1850903654.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	45642  

Last edited by miamisaint; 12-20-2013 at 02:28 PM.
miamisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 03:01 PM   #2

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
I recently downloaded this program to so called help with marketing research etc and it messed up my icons on my iphone 5. After updates the icons would be blank and I would have to restart my phone. Anyone know about this program? I had to go to apple store for them to fix the problem and the rep told me it's similar to jailbreaking because they have access to your entire phone??? I would appreciate any clarifications on the matter. I will attach a screen shot of what my icons looked like. The exact program name was Mobile Xpression
Seeing as
"
MobileXpression records and collects information about participants' mobile data usage via an app, or if you're using an iPhone or iPad, through a VPN connection. This may include messaging services, mobile web browsing activity, usage and titles of downloaded applications and files as well as usage of cameras, video streaming and other utilities on the mobile device. The software may also collect information regarding the web pages you view, the links you access, and usage times for certain device activities (e.g., text messaging, call lengths, and web browsing).

"

is what that app is doing I could see it causing that its essentially monitoring all aspects of your phone I would contact them and see if they have any tips or tricks or solutions to fix it.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
miamisaint
Telegraph User

I essentially had to wipe out the entire phone back to manufacturer settings and the program has since been deleted.. Sure enough the problem with the blank icons has been fixed. I'm sure maybe other people have experienced this problem.
Old 12-20-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Was this happening all the time, or just once after you installed the app? This happens infrequently with jailbreak apps and a respring or reboot fixes it.

It's not anything malevolent. What's happening is that background processes and small hidden apps that the OS uses are momentarily visible. Since theses processes and such do not normally have icons, but have been now exposed to the springboard, iOS gives them blank icons.

A respring or a reboot fixes things and the icons go away. You don't normally see this on a non-jailbroken app because non-jailbroken apps don't normally have extra-ordinary access to the system. This could have just been a result of bad coding. Or, as mentioned above, just a malevolent app.

In any case, if this was happening ALL the time, then I'd be concerned as THAT is not normal even on jailbroken devices.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
miamisaint
Telegraph User

Yes the apple rep told me it may have downloaded incorrectly as well. He sort of scared me saying it fried my system and that this type of program is similar to jail breaking. That being said I know they don't honor the warranty if something is jail broken.
Old 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
He sort of scared me saying it fried my system and that this type of program is similar to jail breaking.
Nothing to be scared of. Jailbreaking is simply removing the restrictions Apple has placed on the file system to allow users to install tweaks and apps that are not Apple approved.

However, Apple and third partys that support Apple products like to scare people because Apple doesn't want you doing this.

An example of an unauthorized tweak would be say a five column springboard, or Quick Reply for text messages. Or even f.lux, which is a tweak that reduces glare at night on your screen. It's the same f.lux that you can get for your Mac or PC, but Apple doesn't let it in the app store because it uses system level code to do what it does.

Jailbreaking is not breaking the law, nor does it mean you are doing anything you shouldn't.

Quote:
That being said I know they don't honor the warranty if something is jail broken.
If Apple sees that a device is jailbroken they could. It depends on the Apple genius. Smart jailbreakers restore their devices as new before they visit an Apple store or send their device in, because restoring as new wipes out all traces of a jailbreak.

BTW, my iPhone 3GS is jailbroken on iOS 6.1. It was jailbroken twice on iOS 5.x. My iPhone 5 is jailbroken on iOS 6.1. And my wife's iPhone 5 is also jailbroken, i OS 6.0.1.

I enjoy the benefits of being able to use my device the way I want to. I have everything iOS 7 has and some stuff that's better.

Last edited by eyoungren; 12-20-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #7
trumajor
IPhone User

SU$: 1,802
I wish I knew how to do it. I miss being able to download things straight to y phone.
trumajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:15 PM   #8
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumajor View Post
I wish I knew how to do it. I miss being able to download things straight to y phone.
You mean jailbreak?

What iOS are you using? There's a jailbreak out for 6.0 to 6.1.2 and they just made one for 6.13 to 6.1.4 untethered a couple of days ago.

Also, the iOS 7 jailbreak is out too. iOS 7.0 to 7.0.4. That one's a bit rough though as Mobile Substrate (which is what most JB tweaks/apps use) has not yet been updated.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:51 PM   #9
trumajor
IPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren
You mean jailbreak? What iOS are you using? There's a jailbreak out for 6.0 to 6.1.2 and they just made one for 6.13 to 6.1.4 untethered a couple of days ago. Also, the iOS 7 jailbreak is out too. iOS 7.0 to 7.0.4. That one's a bit rough though as Mobile Substrate (which is what most JB tweaks/apps use) has not yet been updated.
I'm on 7.0.4. What's the best jailbreak ppl least have problems with?
Old 12-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #10
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
I'm on 7.0.4. What's the best jailbreak ppl least have problems with?
There is only one official jailbreak for iOS 7. And that's the one right here.

The Evad3rs removed the TaiG app store completely so there's no more worries there.

Just note that it will be awhile before Mobile Substrate is updated. Mobile Substrate is what allows quite a few of the tweaks and apps to work. So, your experience may be a bit spotty until that's updated.

If you are a first time jailbreaker, just a few things. Do not go crazy and install anything you think you might like. Unlike the app store (Apple), Cydia, which is the store that will install with the jailbreak has many, many, old apps and tweaks that aren't compatible with the latest. That's because there are people still using older versions of jailbroken iOS. So, just confirm that it's going to work with iOS 7 before you install it. If it doesn't say iOS 7, do some research.

Also, some tweaks conflict with others and others duplicate things. So, just be judicious about what you install. Part of the freedom means taking responsibility for what you put on your phone.

That said, there is a lot of stuff there in Cydia to make your phone better.

EDIT: Oh! Some tips. If you updated to 7.0.4 over the air, then backup your iPhone using iTunes and restore to 7.0.4 using iTunes. This is to avoid a bug they have not fixed yet that will put your iPhone in a boot loop.

Also, if you have a passcode lock, turn it off before you run the jailbreak.

Last edited by eyoungren; 12-29-2013 at 12:04 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #11
trumajor
IPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren
There is only one official jailbreak for iOS 7. And that's the one right here. The Evad3rs removed the TaiG app store completely so there's no more worries there. Just note that it will be awhile before Mobile Substrate is updated. Mobile Substrate is what allows quite a few of the tweaks and apps to work. So, your experience may be a bit spotty until that's updated. If you are a first time jailbreaker, just a few things. Do not go crazy and install anything you think you might like. Unlike the app store (Apple), Cydia, which is the store that will install with the jailbreak has many, many, old apps and tweaks that aren't compatible with the latest. That's because there are people still using older versions of jailbroken iOS. So, just confirm that it's going to work with iOS 7 before you install it. If it doesn't say iOS 7, do some research. Also, some tweaks conflict with others and others duplicate things. So, just be judicious about what you install. Part of the freedom means taking responsibility for what you put on your phone. That said, there is a lot of stuff there in Cydia to make your phone better.
Cool. I learn something new everyday. I will research app firsts. How will I know the process is done?
Old 12-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #12
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Cool. I learn something new everyday. I will research app firsts. How will I know the process is done?
The jailbreak is an app you download. It will tell you what to do and when to do it as well as have instructions on how to prepare.

The iOS 6 jailbreak was a one click jailbreak. You started it and then the app told you when to push a button that showed up on your iPhone. The app will tell you when it's all done. It's all very simple now, not like it used to be.

As for apps, you'll want to research tweaks too. The difference between a tweak and an app is that an app functions as an app while a tweak functions as part of the OS.

For example. Signal 2 is a JB app. It tells me what tower I am connected to and all the info about that tower and my signal.

f.lux is a tweak. Once installed you can find the settings for it in the Settings app. It adjusts the color of your screen to be less blue as the day goes on. NCSettings is another tweak. It puts toggles for system settings in your Notifcation Center. Like the Control Center in iOS 7, but for iOS 6. Just using it as an example here.

Here
is a very good place to start research. A lot of JB devs participate here and you can get all kinds of info.

Final note. Jailbreaking is legal, but because Apple is a private company, if they see a jailbreak on your iPhone if you bring it in for service they can (and will) void your warranty. If you need warranty service when you are jailbroken, restore your phone to stock before you bring it in. When you restore, you wipe out all traces of the jailbreak.

Last edited by eyoungren; 12-29-2013 at 12:18 AM.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
trumajor
IPhone User

Understood. Thanks.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > Vpn Mobile Expressions

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: