Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 11-22-2013, 11:03 PM   #1
miamisaint
Telegraph User

SU$: 947
The Apple store replaced my iPhone 5 because I was experiencing a known issue. My phone was having unexpected restarts etc. I really hope they didn't give me a refurbished model. They got my phone from a white box. Does anyone know if there is a way to determine if phone is refurbished or not? I called up Apples 1-800 number and they told me directly that the phone wasn't refurbished but for some reason I really do not believe it. Opinions welcomed! Thank you in advance. Just posted image of my model number as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1115974326.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	45540  

Last edited by miamisaint; 11-22-2013 at 11:06 PM.
miamisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 11:06 PM   #2
miamisaint
Telegraph User

[QUOTE="miamisaint"]The Apple store replaced my iPhone 5 because I was experiencing a known issue. My phone was having unexpected restarts etc. I really hope they didn't give me a refurbished model. They got my phone from a white box. Does anyone know if there is a way to determine if phone is refurbished or not? I called up Apples 1-800 number and they told me directly that the phone wasn't refurbished but for some reason I really do not believe it. Opinions welcomed! Thank you in advance. Just posted image of my model number as well.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:00 AM   #3
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
The Apple store replaced my iPhone 5 because I was experiencing a known issue. My phone was having unexpected restarts etc. I really hope they didn't give me a refurbished model. They got my phone from a white box. Does anyone know if there is a way to determine if phone is refurbished or not? I called up Apples 1-800 number and they told me directly that the phone wasn't refurbished but for some reason I really do not believe it. Opinions welcomed! Thank you in advance. Just posted image of my model number as well.
It does not matter and here is why.

When Apple refurbs the phones they start by stripping it. You get an entirely new case and any part that fails a quality control check is replaced. Then the entire thing is run through the same battery of test that new phones are.

Physically, it is impossible to tell the difference between new or refurb.

As to the white boxes, Apple has to have a certain number of units on hand for replacements. They don't ship replacement phones in new sealed boxes because that would mean opening and doing away with the accessories. Apple is not going to replace your accessories too, unless it's an accessories that is failing under warranty.

So, a certain number of new phones and refurb phones are placed in these white boxes and shipped out to the Apple stores.

Again, you cannot tell the difference.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 01:06 AM   #4
miamisaint
Telegraph User

Well everything you just said makes so much sense to me now. My sister was sort of jealous and told me make sure it's not refurbished as if it is a bad thing. With the new replacement phones I'm sure they save space and money by storing the phones in the smaller boxes. I got really worried thinking I would have problems with the new phone. I really didn't expect them to offer me a new phone I was just wanting the issues fixed and they most certainly made up for it by giving me a replacement phone. I shouldn't have any other reasons to complain!!!

Last edited by miamisaint; 11-23-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:24 AM   #5
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
Well everything you just said makes so much sense to me now. My sister was sort of jealous and told me make sure it's not refurbished as if it is a bad thing. With the new replacement phones I'm sure they save space and money by storing the phones in the smaller boxes. I got really worried thinking I would have problems with the new phone. I really didn't expect them to offer me a new phone I was just wanting the issues fixed and they most certainly made up for it by giving me a replacement phone. I shouldn't have any other reasons to complain!!!
If it were any other company I'd be with your sister. But Apple wants you to have a good experience and not even think about whether it's a refurb or not. If it's as good or better than new then the only thing you're getting by getting new is the new car smell.

Apple is starting to move more towards repair over replacement now, but not all stores have the appropriate repair facilities yet. They probably did not have the ability to repair your phone so they replaced it. Making the customer happy is all it's about. I had my iPhone 5 replaced about a month and a half after I got it because of a bad mic. The replacement has been rock solid since, no issues.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #6
miamisaint
Telegraph User

I'm happy but I don't think I will restore it with the previous backup because it may have been causing the glitch in the hardware so I just downloaded all my apps through iCloud and photos from my stream. Crazy as it sounds I literally got my phone on Craigslist for 330 it did have scratches on the sides but no screen cracks. I really love the 64GB model. I bought the iPhone 5S and had it for a week but it was the 16gb model and did not have enough space for anything! I decided to switch back to the iPhone 5 64gb for the memory. I got tired of the slow motion camera after a couple of days. It's too similar of a device for me to really want to keep it. The price off contract is too high for 64GB 5S.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:50 AM   #7
eyoungren
iPhone User

Well, I got my 5 with the two year contract. Which is fine, because I was already a year and a half out of contract and I'm not planning on leaving Sprint anyway. Now I have less than a year to go. I'll be reupping for the 6 when it comes. Again fine, because LTE is in Phoenix and I enjoy it right now on my 5.

I got my iPhone with a portion of our tax refund. That was rough, holding on to that for several months until Apple came out with the 5. Got my wife an iPhone 5 a few months back too. We're on the solid number upgrade path, not the "S" path so the 5s wasn't enough of an enticement for us.

My wife and I both believe though that if you're spending a lot of money anway you might as well get the most you can. 16 and 32GB were not even a consideration. We both got 64GB and when Apple ever offers a 128GB, I'll be there for that one too.

Last edited by eyoungren; 11-23-2013 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
miamisaint
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren
Well, I got my 5 with the two year contract. Which is fine, because I was already a year and a half out of contract and I'm not planning on leaving Sprint anyway. Now I have less than a year to go. I'll be reupping for the 6 when it comes. Again fine, because LTE is in Phoenix and I enjoy it right now on my 5. I got my iPhone with a portion of our tax refund. That was rough, holding on to that for several months until Apple came out with the 5. Got my wife an iPhone 5 a few months back to. We're on the solid number upgrade path, not the "S" path so the 5s wasn't enough of an enticement for us. My wife and I both believe though that if you'r spending a lot of money anway you might as well get the most you can. 16 and 32GB were not even a consideration. We both got 64GB and when Apple ever offers a 128GB, I'll be there for that one too.
I have had upgrade status since July of 2013 and I didn't want to use it on the iPhone 5S because I knew it wasn't going to impress me. And I didn't want to be under contract with a company I was unsure if I was wanting to stay. So instead I decided if I bought the iPhone 5 used around the time when the new iPhone 5S came out the price would significantly be a cheaper option and I still have the opportunity to use my upgrade status for the iPhone 6 which I'm assuming I will love it. Overall the iPhones have the best resell value and the one I have is unlocked for GSM use overseas. I sort of wish I could switch carriers but I'm on the SERO plan and I really don't like the price of the plans for the iPhones on other networks.
Old 11-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #9
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

SU$: 22,483
chances are they are refurbs
carpediem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #10
Vengeance
Telegraph User

SU$: 281
Apple's iPhones for replacement are generally refurbished. The only time you'll get a new one is within the first 30 days of purchase, or if you're so close to the release date that they didn't have refurbished phones to give out. When I worked at AT&T we took customers to Apple a few times (they were right upstairs) and about 5% of the time they'd get a new device.. Mostly when we fought for it.

In regards to carriers, my Sprint plan was legit. 3000 mins, unlimited data, texts, TV and navigation, for $20 a month. When I started working for AT&T I switched over, because of 4G and LTE in my area.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
Diana Prince
Half Woman, Half Amazing

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5
Trades: 7
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 16,261
I have to agree with eyoungren.

Still within warranty, I was having an issue with my iPhone 5 constantly "searching for a signal". I took it in to Apple and saw the rep retrieve my replacement iphone from a white box. The phone looked pristine and has performed flawlessly since. I also have a friend that will ONLY buy Apple Macbooks from Apple's refurbished store. He doesn't even want them new in box. He swears an Apple refurb is even better than new. That's his opinion, but I think his point is that a device refurbished by Apple is not a bad choice at all.
Old 02-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #12
eyoungren
iPhone User

I think "new" can be overrated some times. It's certainly more expensive than refurb anyway. Plenty of cases where "new" was a lemon though.

I've saved my boss quite a bit of money by using the Apple refurb store for our Macs here at work. And why not. It comes with the same warranty, the same components, etc. The only thing different is the box it came in. Applecare+ makes no distinction between coverage for a refurb or new.

If it works and you can't tell any difference when lined up side by side with a "new" product then why worry?
Old 03-02-2014, 04:29 AM   #13
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
As long as the warranty is in place, new or refurb doesn't really matter to me.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:58 PM   #14
KTee
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Iphone
Trades: 10
SU$: 9,551
A year ago my iphone 4 had mic problems intermittently. Apple replaced it with refurbs at least 3 times, and all those phones had the same problem. I think it was a common problem and might have been easily missed when testing. So frustrating! Once I got a new 4s, I've never had a problem.
But I would buy refurb mac laptops etc. from Apple, I believe they work fine and they do come with a warranty.
KTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 01:11 AM   #15
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
Trades: 1
SU$: 16,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTee
A year ago my iphone 4 had mic problems intermittently. Apple replaced it with refurbs at least 3 times, and all those phones had the same problem. I think it was a common problem and might have been easily missed when testing. So frustrating! Once I got a new 4s, I've never had a problem. But I would buy refurb mac laptops etc. from Apple, I believe they work fine and they do come with a warranty.
Buying a refurbished device is different than getting replaced with one IMO. Buying one should come with warranty. Getting replaced should not reset warranty date from original purchase date.

Sent from my iPad using SU Forum

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: