Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #1
miamisaint
Telegraph User

SU$: 947
Why isn't the iphone 5s triband?

Recently saw an article about Sprint Spark and they are set to release some triband model cell phones yet Apples newest iphone 5s is not triband. I'm confused and wondering why Sprint would launch another 4G project when the 4Glte is not everywhere like it should be.
miamisaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 10:51 PM   #2
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
Recently saw an article about Sprint Spark and they are set to release some triband model cell phones yet Apples newest iphone 5s is not triband. I'm confused and wondering why Sprint would launch another 4G project when the 4Glte is not everywhere like it should be.
It isn't Triband because at the time it finalized for manufacturing Softbank had not bought Sprint and Sprint had not bought Clearwire. So, there was no way to know for sure if the deal would ultimately go through.

What would you do with a triband device if the whole buyout thing had fallen apart?

The iPhone 6 next year will be triband. Count on it.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
miamisaint
Telegraph User

Yes that's true. I just want some LTE at least in my area but hasn't happened yet just trying to be patient!
Old 11-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #4
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamisaint View Post
Yes that's true. I just want some LTE at least in my area but hasn't happened yet just trying to be patient!
It'll come. I waited almost a year once I got my iPhone 5 before Phoenix got LTE. It's still spotty but at least it's pretty strong at my home now.

If you want to keep active tabs on your situation you might go over to s4gru.com. They get inside information about the rollout from Sprint sources. They have a running list as to what markets are where and when they expect to complete and a daily list of accepted towers.

If you donate you get better access and can see what specific towers are being worked on, work permits, maps, etc. s4gru.com is how I found out that LTE had finally made it to Phoenix.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 6S
SU$: 1,601
LTE is slowly (read painstakingly) making its way to Sacramento and I'm glad some areas are already functional. What I'm disappointed by, slightly ahead of the lack of Triband capability, is the inability to handle simultaneous voice and data. I didn't think this was a big deal, but missing a turn while using GPS because I get a phone call kinda bites.
Everything Data Share 1500; 6 lines; 19% Corp Disc; N&W @ 6p - $0, no longer that big with Unlimited Loyalty Bonus Minutes; Sprint Open World; Finally have LTE in my area, and for what its worth...in an announced "Carrier Agitation" market. However, still struggling thru the optimization process. Oh yeah, and that premium data thing.

Samsung A920 -> Palm Centro -> HTC TP2 -> HTC Arrive -> iPhone 5S -> iPhone 6S
fishhead_soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #6
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead_soup View Post
LTE is slowly (read painstakingly) making its way to Sacramento and I'm glad some areas are already functional. What I'm disappointed by, slightly ahead of the lack of Triband capability, is the inability to handle simultaneous voice and data. I didn't think this was a big deal, but missing a turn while using GPS because I get a phone call kinda bites.
That's a CDMA limitation and not something I think triband will solve.

Verizon has the same situation as they are also a CDMA network. If you want simutaneous voice/data you need another radio in the phone or to go to a GSM network.
Old 11-10-2013, 10:36 PM   #7
fishhead_soup
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 6S
SU$: 1,601
Yes I understand that it's one of a bunch of knocks of CDMA networks. However other oems have made accommodations. It's disappointing that Apple doesn't.
Everything Data Share 1500; 6 lines; 19% Corp Disc; N&W @ 6p - $0, no longer that big with Unlimited Loyalty Bonus Minutes; Sprint Open World; Finally have LTE in my area, and for what its worth...in an announced "Carrier Agitation" market. However, still struggling thru the optimization process. Oh yeah, and that premium data thing.

Samsung A920 -> Palm Centro -> HTC TP2 -> HTC Arrive -> iPhone 5S -> iPhone 6S
fishhead_soup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,382
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishhead_soup View Post
Yes I understand that it's one of a bunch of knocks of CDMA networks. However other oems have made accommodations. It's disappointing that Apple doesn't.
You have to realize that Apple probably finalized the specs on the iPhone at least 6 or more months before it was released. At that time there was no guarantee that Sprint would own Clearwire or 2.5Ghz would be an option. They did provide support for 800MHz which even the Note 3 does not include even though it was released after the iPhone. Tri-band support would be nice to have I agree but you can't really blame Apple for not including it.
Old 11-17-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
miamisaint
Telegraph User

Yes all those factors are applicable. I just get annoyed mainly at Sprint for not having such an expansive 4G LTE network in addition to having a multitude of issues with constant updates which affect my internet connection greatly.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
jessep28
That's Numberwang!

Mood: Amused
Phone: HTC One M8
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 68,326
Product development cycles are longer than people think.
Old 11-19-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Sprint barely has an LTE coverage, nevermind tri-band LTE coverage. Any phone that supports tri-band might have a marketing advantage, but what good is it when the LTE footprint is tiny.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 12:14 AM   #12

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
Sprint barely has an LTE coverage, nevermind tri-band LTE coverage. Any phone that supports tri-band might have a marketing advantage, but what good is it when the LTE footprint is tiny.
Except for the fact that Sprint's LTE rollout is various frequencies all over not blanketing in just 1 so by not having tri-band that coverage becomes even less.

Sent from my SM-N900T using SprintUsers Forum
Old 11-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW
Except for the fact that Sprint's LTE rollout is various frequencies all over not blanketing in just 1 so by not having tri-band that coverage becomes even less. Sent from my SM-N900T using SprintUsers Forum
That seems like awful planning and is far from positive.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #14

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by variablebinary View Post
That seems like awful planning and is far from positive.
Never implied it was positive. I agree its horrible planning along with one of the many reasons I left. Then again this is coming from the company behind the Sprint Nextel merger and WiMax rollout... So would you expect anything less?
Old 01-28-2014, 09:33 AM   #15
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 6
SU$: 21,615
This was a multi-year wait for me, culminating in my moving to Verizon and getting 4G LTE immediately. I have a neighbor that's working for Sprint, building out their network. He was telling me for over a year that "4G is coming... don't give up." That was during the 2012 Super Bowl.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2014-01-28 at 10.32.30 AM.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	45746  
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > Why isn't the iphone 5s triband?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: