Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #1
Lexxous
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Moto X
Trades: 16
SU$: 16,101
iPhone 5C unlocking

I'm not sure if it's against the rules to ask this question but I'll ask and if I get banned I'll know I shouldn't have....

How do you unlock the Sprint iPhone 5C?
Maybe it's not possible?

Is unlocking the same as jailbreaking?

I know jailbreaking isn't the same as jailbaiting but if you're caught jailbaiting you may need to learn how to jailbreak in order to use your unlocked jailbroken phone again
Lexxous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
eyoungren
iPhone User

SU$: 12,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxous View Post
I'm not sure if it's against the rules to ask this question but I'll ask and if I get banned I'll know I shouldn't have....

How do you unlock the Sprint iPhone 5C?
Maybe it's not possible?

Is unlocking the same as jailbreaking?

I know jailbreaking isn't the same as jailbaiting but if you're caught jailbaiting you may need to learn how to jailbreak in order to use your unlocked jailbroken phone again
OK…let's run through the basics.

Jailbreak. Exploiting bugs in the OS so that you may run unauthorized apps and modifications to the system. By unauthorized I mean by Apple. Unauthorized does not mean illegal, it just means Apple doesn't like it.

Unlock. Making your phone so it can be useable on another network.

Here's the Sprint part. Sprint requires that you have an active account with them for no less than 90 days, be current on your bill and have an account that does not have a spending limit (or whatever it's called).

If you meet those terms Sprint will unlock your phone if you call them for INTERNATIONAL USE ONLY!

Under NO circumstances, no matter how much you beg, plead, whine or threaten will Sprint EVER unlock your phone for domestic U.S. carrier use.

Note further that the SIM card you have in your phone is paired to your device. You cannot insert another SIM (even a Sprint one) and go. The card is programmed to your phone. The Sprint network checks the pairing and if it's valid authorizes your phone to use LTE.

Lastly, note that Apple has been lately trying to satisfy it's customers and where Sprint models are unavailable at time of purchase Apple has been supplying completely unlocked iPhones and because of the terms of the contract with Sprint, Sprint has to activate those unlocked iPhones.

But if you did not already have one of those rare exceptions you are stuck with a iPhone that is forever locked to the Sprint network.

P.S. There is NO commercially available unlock where you can pay someone money and they unlock your iPhone. The reason for that is that it cannot be done.
eyoungren is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eyoungren For This Useful Post:
Lexxous (10-18-2013)
Old 12-31-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
Vengeance
Telegraph User

SU$: 281
There are other ways to get an iphone unlocked for domestic use. There's a SIM card interface, like the Garvey sim that can trick the phone into thinking the aim inside is a legit SIM card. Might or might not work with sprint iPhones. The only people that can truly unlock your iphone is apple directly. Even carrier unlocks are routed through them.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
There are other ways to get an iphone unlocked for domestic use. There's a SIM card interface, like the Garvey sim that can trick the phone into thinking the aim inside is a legit SIM card. Might or might not work with sprint iPhones. The only people that can truly unlock your iphone is apple directly. Even carrier unlocks are routed through them.
Gevey SIMs. Those are SIM Interposers. And they work. The problem with them though is that they are coded to specific IOS versions and basebands. Update and your interposer may not work. Jailbreak, even though you keep the same iOS version and it may break.

Lastly, we have to stick to the real definition of "unlock" here. A real unlock means that no device is necessary. You can put another SIM in and go.

Remove a SIM interposer and guess what? Your phone is locked again. So, a SIM interposer is NOT an unlock. It may allow you to go on to another network as you described, but it's not an unlock. All the marketing hype that Gevey and other SIM interposer companies use will not make their device truly unlock a phone.

A SIM interposer works by conducting a MITM (Man in the Middle) attack on your SIM card. It tricks it into thinking that it's really using the network it works on, when it's not. And yes, there are SIM interposers that work on Sprint phones.

So, you are right that carrier unlocks are the only real direct route. That's because the way it works is that your IMEI/MEID is put into the database of unlocked devices by your carrier. Apple maintains that database and only certain people at the carriers have access to that database.

iTunes scans the database when your iPhone is connected and if it finds your IMEI/MEID in the database then your phone is unlocked.

Sprint, because it buys all the iPhones up front from Apple, records all the IMEIs and specifically prohibits those IMEIs from ever being entered into the unlock database. This is why there is and can never be a domestic unlock.

Due to recent talks and agreements between the FCC and the carriers this may all be changing soon though.

Last edited by eyoungren; 12-31-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Vengeance
Telegraph User

Yes, but it is still an unlock in basic terms, at least to the non-technical people out there. It is a work around for the time being, since sprint won't allow you to unlock their iPhones for domestic use, and Apple refuses to do anything that isn't based on carrier request or purchased unlocked.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Yes, but it is still an unlock in basic terms, at least to the non-technical people out there. It is a work around for the time being, since sprint won't allow you to unlock their iPhones for domestic use, and Apple refuses to do anything that isn't based on carrier request or purchased unlocked.
I disagree that it's an unlock. No IMEI/MEID in Apple's unlock database means no unlock.

I do agree that it's a workaround.

I respect where you are coming from though and although I disagree with you I'm not trying to shout you down or anything. Your opinion is legitimate and is indeed what the non-technical person will think. I just try to clarify this point whenever SIM interposers are mentioned is all.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
Vengeance
Telegraph User

Lol, it's okay. You won't hurt my feelings.

Trust me, I'm a very technical person, and worked for AT&T for 4 years, plus, I was really into modifying phones.

When it comes to customers, saying "this will work perfectly fine for you, but it's not an unlock" tends to get you screamed at about demanding an unlock. Especially before ATT allowed you to unlock iPhones at all.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
When it comes to customers, saying "this will work perfectly fine for you, but it's not an unlock" tends to get you screamed at about demanding an unlock. Especially before ATT allowed you to unlock iPhones at all.
Totally get that! Most customers are simply uninformed so it's easier to just spoon feed what they want to hear if it will "solve" their problem and make it easier on the sales rep or tech.

I work for a newspaper (Graphic Designer) so we get lots of these customers who just don't get the print process and why we need what we need from them.

Different industry, but same type of customer.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Vengeance
Telegraph User

Pretty much. I can deal with the customers, but people that have no idea what they're doing that come in and act like they know more than you...

Those people piss me off.

Since then I've left AT&T, and now I'm a programmer for American Software. No need to deal with customers anymore lol.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:34 AM   #10
eyoungren
iPhone User

LOL! Wish I could say the same. But unfortunately the ad reps and the ad manager still don't get it and all they want is for me to magically make whatever they promised the customer (without consulting us first) happen. Our Ad Manager even tries to rope me in to being tech support for her customers devices.

Sorry, not what I'm being paid to do. They don't know how to work their device they need to RTFM!
Old 12-31-2013, 11:43 AM   #11
Vengeance
Telegraph User

Tell them you'll do it but you need all new equipment, an unlimited budget and a huge raise. It'll shut them up.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:47 AM   #12
eyoungren
iPhone User

Quote:
Tell them you'll do it but you need all new equipment, an unlimited budget and a huge raise. It'll shut them up.
ROTFL! Yeah, that'll do it!
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Apple iPhone 5 Series > iPhone 5C unlocking

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: