Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-15-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Anyone got a Sprint Moto X yet?

Thoights? Is it worth early adoption or wait for the 32gb version plus Moto Maker?
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 07:14 PM   #2
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
I don't have the Sprint version, but they're all the same.

I never thought I'd have a 4.7" phone, because every other phone of this size is simply too big to use one handed. It's not a problem with the X. The feel in hand is great. The back is not flat, so it fits the curve of the hand better than most other phones.

Performance is stellar. I got over my spec obsession long ago, and I've been mostly stuck with mid-range phones due to my size requirements anyway. A lot of people think this thing is terrible on paper, but I never did. Even if you do think it's bad on paper, once you actually use it, you'll quickly change your mind. It's hands down one of the smoothest phones I've ever used. The only other Android phone that I've used that compares is the HTC One. It also seems faster than iPhones, but that may just be because iOS transitions are slower than Android transitions. There's no random skips and lag like you find in TouchWiz or previous versions of Sense. This is due to virtually no bloatware, of course. It mostly looks and feels like AOSP, and I like it that way.

All the extra features just work. There's no mile-long list of half-baked features here. Outside of stock Android, it has maybe 3 or 4 extras. Active Notifications is excellent. There's a lot of times that I pull my phone out of my pocket simply to check the time or see a notification that I probably won't want to really read right away, so this is great for that. I have the habit of just pressing the power button when I pull a phone out of my pocket, and it took me some time to get used to not doing that. I still do it sometimes, and I also sometimes still hit the power button after I look at the AN because I forget that the screen isn't actually on. This is just something that will go away with time (and probably infuriate me if I ever switch to a phone without AN). Touchless Control works extremely well, too. I don't use it all that much, but I've messed around with it enough to know that it works. It's hard to trick it, but that also means it can miss your trigger if you happen to say it too fast or in a different tone than how you said it while training it. It doesn't mean the phone's not listening or processing the input...it just means it didn't think your input matched what it's trained to recognize. I can't see software ever getting human intonation and tone perfect, so I think Motorola found a good balance between having to speak like a robot and having it go off by accident. Since it relies on Google Now, a network connection is needed. Somebody figured out how to trigger Tasker tasks using Google Now, so with that, you can basically have your phone do anything you want without touching it. I may try to set up some profiles based on that. I haven't used Motorola Assist, so I can't speak on that. I used Motorola Migrate once, and it did the job. It was slow, but it did the job.

The screen is bright and crisp. I can't see any individual pixels, so I'm happy. Then again, I honestly wasn't bothered by the 320x240 phones I've used in the past, so of course I'd be happy with a 300+ PPI display.

Battery life is excellent. I have to sit through a lot of boring meetings, so I typically am browsing the web or something during those. I can easily get through the day without any issue. I've noticed that drain is high when using GPS navigation, but that's true of any device. Idle drain seems to be higher than other phones, but I don't think it hinders my day-to-day usage.

As for waiting for the 32GB and MotoMaker, that's really just a personal decision. I didn't care at all. I would have gone for the black color anyway, and I do like the solid black that's available in MotoMaker more than the woven black, but it's not a big enough deal to actually bother me. 16GB is fine for me, so I wasn't concerned about that, either. I kind of wish I had gotten one where the bootloader could be unlocked, but I saved a lot of money getting the AT&T retail version, so I'll live.

TL;DR: I love it. It's the first Android phone I've actually loved in a long time.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BZap49 For This Useful Post:
jigwashere (10-15-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 12:06 PM   #3
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49
I don't have the Sprint version, but they're all the same. I never thought I'd have a 4.7" phone, because every other phone of this size is simply too big to use one handed. It's not a problem with the X. The feel in hand is great. The back is not flat, so it fits the curve of the hand better than most other phones. Performance is stellar. I got over my spec obsession long ago, and I've been mostly stuck with mid-range phones due to my size requirements anyway. A lot of people think this thing is terrible on paper, but I never did. Even if you do think it's bad on paper, once you actually use it, you'll quickly change your mind. It's hands down one of the smoothest phones I've ever used. The only other Android phone that I've used that compares is the HTC One. It also seems faster than iPhones, but that may just be because iOS transitions are slower than Android transitions. There's no random skips and lag like you find in TouchWiz or previous versions of Sense. This is due to virtually no bloatware, of course. It mostly looks and feels like AOSP, and I like it that way. All the extra features just work. There's no mile-long list of half-baked features here. Outside of stock Android, it has maybe 3 or 4 extras. Active Notifications is excellent. There's a lot of times that I pull my phone out of my pocket simply to check the time or see a notification that I probably won't want to really read right away, so this is great for that. I have the habit of just pressing the power button when I pull a phone out of my pocket, and it took me some time to get used to not doing that. I still do it sometimes, and I also sometimes still hit the power button after I look at the AN because I forget that the screen isn't actually on. This is just something that will go away with time (and probably infuriate me if I ever switch to a phone without AN). Touchless Control works extremely well, too. I don't use it all that much, but I've messed around with it enough to know that it works. It's hard to trick it, but that also means it can miss your trigger if you happen to say it too fast or in a different tone than how you said it while training it. It doesn't mean the phone's not listening or processing the input...it just means it didn't think your input matched what it's trained to recognize. I can't see software ever getting human intonation and tone perfect, so I think Motorola found a good balance between having to speak like a robot and having it go off by accident. Since it relies on Google Now, a network connection is needed. Somebody figured out how to trigger Tasker tasks using Google Now, so with that, you can basically have your phone do anything you want without touching it. I may try to set up some profiles based on that. I haven't used Motorola Assist, so I can't speak on that. I used Motorola Migrate once, and it did the job. It was slow, but it did the job. The screen is bright and crisp. I can't see any individual pixels, so I'm happy. Then again, I honestly wasn't bothered by the 320x240 phones I've used in the past, so of course I'd be happy with a 300+ PPI display. Battery life is excellent. I have to sit through a lot of boring meetings, so I typically am browsing the web or something during those. I can easily get through the day without any issue. I've noticed that drain is high when using GPS navigation, but that's true of any device. Idle drain seems to be higher than other phones, but I don't think it hinders my day-to-day usage. As for waiting for the 32GB and MotoMaker, that's really just a personal decision. I didn't care at all. I would have gone for the black color anyway, and I do like the solid black that's available in MotoMaker more than the woven black, but it's not a big enough deal to actually bother me. 16GB is fine for me, so I wasn't concerned about that, either. I kind of wish I had gotten one where the bootloader could be unlocked, but I saved a lot of money getting the AT&T retail version, so I'll live. TL;DR: I love it. It's the first Android phone I've actually loved in a long time.
Thans!! that does sound like what I want from it. And, I've been realizing that maybe I can live with the 16gb. I tried so many ROMs I got tired of reloading everything, so I've been running very lean for months. And, with the 50gb of cloud storage on google it may be enough.

The big question is, I'm running a Galaxy Nexus so I have a not too terribly out of date, dual-core device with 32gb storage and 4g LTE that still runs. Is the overall improved experience with the a Moto X over the Nexus-prime, or similar devices, so notable that it's worth the investment and the contract commitment, or am I better off waiting til my phone is actually dying, or the next version of the Moto X makes it look like a flip phone?
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
Thans!! that does sound like what I want from it. And, I've been realizing that maybe I can live with the 16gb. I tried so many ROMs I got tired of reloading everything, so I've been running very lean for months. And, with the 50gb of cloud storage on google it may be enough.

The big question is, I'm running a Galaxy Nexus so I have a not too terribly out of date, dual-core device with 32gb storage and 4g LTE that still runs. Is the overall improved experience with the a Moto X over the Nexus-prime, or similar devices, so notable that it's worth the investment and the contract commitment, or am I better off waiting til my phone is actually dying, or the next version of the Moto X makes it look like a flip phone?
I don't know how the GNex was because I've never used one other than playing around with it in stores when it first came out. It's noticeably faster than any phone I've had before. Recent phones I've had include the S3, the RAZR M, and the RAZR i. None of them bothered me before I used the X (I hated the S3 for reasons other than performance), but going back and using those now, I can definitely tell the difference. I'm not big on needless features, so I can't think of much they can do that I would be impressed by for the next generation. I just want them to keep making excellent phones. I can see myself using the X for 2 years or so, but if they do release a 2nd generation X that I simply have to have, I'll just buy it. I don't have a plan that gives me subsidies anyway, so I have nothing that's really holding me back from just buying a phone whenever I want (other than my desire to not spend money, that is). Of course, be aware that the X isn't a Nexus device, so don't be expecting day-one updates. Then again, I'm not sure if the CDMA GN really got day-one updates anyway.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013, 02:10 PM   #5
jojojcat
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 96
Any chance the sprint non-moto maker version came with the "skip" nfc unlock accessory? Apparently it does for a while with the moto maker version at least, but being a SERO user I'm not able to use moto maker.
jojojcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Motorola > Anyone got a Sprint Moto X yet?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: