Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 10-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #1
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Moto X Root Possibility?

So, for me, the Moto X may prove to be the best all around phone in terms of performance, size, balance etc. maybe more so than alleged Nexus 5. And, since I've been driving a Galaxy Nexus for the past year and a half, I'm more than a little bored, and the Nexus 5 looks to be an updated take on the exact same esthetic.

BUT... I want to be able to occasionally use my mobile hotspot, on the rare occasion that WiFi isn't available, without paying Sprint the insane fee of $35 per month to do it. So, I use a custom ROM on my Nexus Prime almost exclusively for that extremely infrequent occasion. The rest of the time, stock Android would be fine.

The trouble is, I had the Moto Photon and learned the hard way what jerks Motorola can be when it comes to locking boot loaders etc. Which begs the questions...

1) Will anyone in the community be able to Root the Moto X with a quick an easy solution that returns it to stock if needed?

2) Will anyone get far enough past the fixation on specs to understand that the Moto X is a serious performer not a mid tier phone, and actually bother to give it some rooting and ROMing attention? The HTC EVO Shift seriously outperformed the full size EVO but it got VERY little love and was past EOL almost before you could even root it.

3) Does anyone know if later versions of a jellybean or key lime or whatever, will be able to access the hotspot for free simply by being rooted, as was the case with Gingerbread, or will it need a custom ROM like most JB phones seem to?

4) last but not least... With all the integration of sensors, voice commands etc... Will it be possible to root and ROM without sacrificing the capabilities of the device?

I'm willing to wait and see. Perhaps by the time we know the answers, Moto maker will be available on Sprint. I want a lime green one.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Mood: Twisted
Phone: AT&T NOTE3
My Mood: Twisted
SU$: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to Euphorian
Read
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2442584
Euphorian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Euphorian For This Useful Post:
gedansky (10-15-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorian
Well, that's not TOO embarrassing. OK, it really is. But, Thanks!
Old 10-15-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
Well, that's not TOO embarrassing. OK, it really is. But, Thanks!
Lol it's k

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using SprintUsers Forum
Old 10-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,074
If you get one that does not have the latest update applied already, you can simply use PwnMyMoto to root it. SafeStrap is also now available, and ROMs should be coming out shortly.

Even if you do lose root to an OTA, the good thing about the Sprint version is that you can always just unlock the bootloader on Motorola's website. The bad part of this is that you will lose your warranty when you do so. If you pay for insurance through Sprint, this won't be an issue at all. If you don't mind losing your warranty, I highly advise just unlocking the bootloader. It's only AT&T and Verizon consumer versions that won't allow unlocking.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #6
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49 View Post
If you get one that does not have the latest update applied already, you can simply use PwnMyMoto to root it. SafeStrap is also now available, and ROMs should be coming out shortly.

Even if you do lose root to an OTA, the good thing about the Sprint version is that you can always just unlock the bootloader on Motorola's website. The bad part of this is that you will lose your warranty when you do so. If you pay for insurance through Sprint, this won't be an issue at all. If you don't mind losing your warranty, I highly advise just unlocking the bootloader. It's only AT&T and Verizon consumer versions that won't allow unlocking.
I'm confused... I keep reading about how unlocking the boot loader voids your warranty, which I understand. But, isn't that only if you can't return it to stock and lock it before you go in for warranty service (which is unlikely)?

If my device can wake up at all, I can open into recovery mode or Odin and reimage back to stock. If it can't wake up, no Sprint tech can figure out that I unlocked/ROMed/Rooted, right?

Of course, that's with the GeNex. Is the Moto X different?

I understand that the developer version authorizes you to unlock the boot loader if you agree to their terms, including voiding the warranty. But, what if we do it the old fashioned way, where one of our developer friends figures it out on their own, and we do it "on the downlow" as G-d intended it?

Last edited by gedansky; 10-16-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #7
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedansky View Post
I'm confused... I keep reading about how unlocking the boot loader voids your warranty, which I understand. But, isn't that only if you can't return it to stock and lock it before you go in for warranty service (which is unlikely)?

If my device can wake up at all, I can open into recovery mode or Odin and reimage back to stock. If it can't wake up, no Sprint tech can figure out that I unlocked/ROMed/Rooted, right?

Of course, that's with the GeNex. Is the Moto X different?

I understand that the developer version authorizes you to unlock the boot loader if you agree to their terms, including voiding the warranty. But, what if we do it the old fashioned way, where one of our developer friends figures it out on their own, and we do it "on the downlow" as G-d intended it?
Motorola locks down their bootloaders extremely well. A few older Motorola devices were just cracked a few months ago, and even that was mostly just luck and extreme persistence. Right now, the only way to unlock any of the new generation phones, including the X, is to use their site, which adds your device information to their database, telling them that you unlocked. Even if your phone is completely dead, they'll still know you unlocked. Now, whether they tell Sprint that you unlocked or not, I don't know. Perhaps Sprint won't know (provided you go back to stock), and maybe they'd repair/replace it, but I wouldn't rely on that. If you end up having to send it to Motorola, the warranty is gone. If somebody figures out how to unlock the bootloader unofficially, then what you say could work, but I don't really see much effort being put into that. Since there's so many unlockable versions, there simply isn't much of a reason to waste time looking for an unlock exploit for the 2 locked down versions.

The Motorola Bootloader Unlock website supports the Dev editions of the X, as well as any other edition except AT&T and Verizon retail editions.
Old 10-17-2013, 05:15 PM   #8
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49
Motorola locks down their bootloaders extremely well. A few older Motorola devices were just cracked a few months ago, and even that was mostly just luck and extreme persistence. Right now, the only way to unlock any of the new generation phones, including the X, is to use their site, which adds your device information to their database, telling them that you unlocked. Even if your phone is completely dead, they'll still know you unlocked. Now, whether they tell Sprint that you unlocked or not, I don't know. Perhaps Sprint won't know (provided you go back to stock), and maybe they'd repair/replace it, but I wouldn't rely on that. If you end up having to send it to Motorola, the warranty is gone. If somebody figures out how to unlock the bootloader unofficially, then what you say could work, but I don't really see much effort being put into that. Since there's so many unlockable versions, there simply isn't much of a reason to waste time looking for an unlock exploit for the 2 locked down versions. The Motorola Bootloader Unlock website supports the Dev editions of the X, as well as any other edition except AT&T and Verizon retail editions.
Ah. I remember what a bear the Photon was to unlock, and how it took 4g WiMAX with it if you did. I also remember that they posted a security update and hid a permanent boot loader lock in the update.

So, if I want to have free mobile hotspot for my occasional use, I need to stick with my Galaxy Nexus, or go to the Nexus 5 or some equally hack-able phone to keep my warranty intact.

I always carry insurance but won't they charge me $150 if they need to replace it? If I get a BEST BUY's insurance, any idea how that would work? Trying to figure out how to cover my bases if I elect to get the Moto X then void the warranty.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Yeah, the Photon was before Motorola started supporting official unlocks.

I have no idea how the insurance situation would work. I've only had insurance on one of my phones years ago, and I found it to be a giant waste of money. I think back then, the Best Buy insurance I had didn't have a deductible, but I'm not sure if that's changed now or not. If your insurance has a deductible, then yeah, it will apply. Some plans only charge deductibles for loss and theft, I think, but again, I don't know any details.
Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM   #10
Lexxous
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Moto X
Trades: 16
SU$: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Euphorian View Post

Is any of that English?
I was interested in unlocking or rooting(still unclear about this) the X to gain free tethering but opening that link made my head spin.
Lexxous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 07:09 PM   #11
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexxous View Post

Is any of that English?
I was interested in unlocking or rooting(still unclear about this) the X to gain free tethering but opening that link made my head spin.
100% of it was English.

If you have a Sprint Moto X, and simply want to unlock the bootloader and root, just unlock using Motorola's site. Then, flash TWRP from here, and finally, flash SuperSU from here.

The link posted earlier in the thread is only needed if you want to avoid unlocking your bootloader. Also, that link is now outdated anyway. The new method is outlined here.
The Following User Says Thank You to BZap49 For This Useful Post:
Lexxous (11-13-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 07:30 PM   #12
Lexxous
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Moto X
Trades: 16
SU$: 16,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by BZap49 View Post
100% of it was English.

If you have a Sprint Moto X, and simply want to unlock the bootloader and root, just unlock using Motorola's site. Then, flash TWRP from here, and finally, flash SuperSU from here.

The link posted earlier in the thread is only needed if you want to avoid unlocking your bootloader. Also, that link is now outdated anyway. The new method is outlined here.
Of all that jargon what would give me the option of free tethering?
That would be very helpful while on the road
Lexxous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:10 PM   #13
Euphorian
Account Inactive

Quote:
You have to know the back ground of rooting.
It would make perfect sense then. I could see why you are confused.

You have to unlock the bootloader> Then flash TWRP recovery> Then Flash SuperUser.
This gives you root. This is more than likely the way to root most Android devices.
Samsung uses Odin but that's another story.
The Following User Says Thank You to Euphorian For This Useful Post:
Lexxous (11-13-2013)
Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 PM   #14
PokerFace23
I haz the EVOO service

Phone: Evo
SU$: 16,424
If it's too hard to follow then I suggest purchasing the add on.

Sent from my iPad using SU Forum
Old 11-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #15
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Either one will allow you to use apps that get around the tethering limitation. The first method is easier, but voids your warranty. The second method is more time consuming, but keeps your warranty. They both give you the same end result, which is root. The theory behind root and the reason for getting it is a vast topic. You'll need to do more research into it to understand it, and you'll pick up the jargon along the way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerFace23 View Post
If it's too hard to follow then I suggest purchasing the add on.

Sent from my iPad using SU Forum
This x1000.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Motorola > Moto X Root Possibility?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: