Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #1
Bront
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: Galaxy Nexus
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 2,976
ZTE Fury: Avoid at all costs

I got this for my wife, who wanted to move into the Android arena. It was cheep, looked like it had everything she'd need. including a nice display, good responsiveness when running apps, and enough memory for someone who doesn't use the phone much beyond being a phone and a few small apps. And it mostly does this.

However, within the first week, the phone would shut off and require the battery to be pulled out in order to restart. I can't highlight this issue enough, as it happens almost every day now, and it makes the phone even more useless than it otherwise already is given the other issues.

Meanwhile, the voice quality on the phone is such that sometimes she can't hear the person on the other end, sometimes they can't hear her, and there's a lot of beeps and vocal distortion on her end that makes it potentially painful to talk to her (think loud mic feedback and cracking/beeping about 20 dB higher than the voice volume). Even when it's not adding the sci-fi soundtrack of effects, her voice can sound like she's moving the phone away from her face even when she's not. Voice quality when it's at it's best is worse than any Sprint phone I've ever owned (customer since '99).

So, bad voice quality and shutdowns, but that's not the end of the woes of this phone. The battery life, even when it doesn't shut down, is generally bad. Maybe 2-3 hours of talk time, if the phone doesn't get too hot to talk on first. The phone even when on doesn't always ring (anecdotally, 1 in 6 times when calling the phone repeatedly from the same room). Now, why didn't I replace this? I did. The phone new phone does the same things. So, save yourself the frustrating, and try something else. It's not worth the frustration.

After doing some research, it seems that a large number of long term reviews mention the batter problem (seriously, over half of the ones on Sprint's site), there just aren't a lot of reviews out there. Back in April, it seemed like a good newbie phone. Now I just wish I could go back and get her something different.

Sprint at least finally replaced it with an LG Marquee. We'll see how well that one works.
Bront is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bront For This Useful Post:
rambo47 (11-17-2012), Thunder18 (10-19-2012)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Phone Reviews > ZTE Fury: Avoid at all costs