Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
falconbal
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 10
Can I order a iphone through sprint cs, not activate it and sell it to verizon?

My account is due for an upgrade. Can I order an iphone 5 through sprint customer service, not activate it when it gets shipped to me, and sell it online to someone who has a Verizon network? Will they be able to use the phone just fine?

Last edited by falconbal; 09-14-2012 at 06:56 AM.
falconbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #2
sitlet
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC Evo 3D
SU$: 3,344
No, and no. If you order a phone from sprint, it already comes pre-activated. And if you use your upgrade to get the lower cost, you would have to pay the ETF if you get rid of the phone.

Also, a Sprint iphone will not work on Verizon. There are ways to hack them to get calls and texts to work, but the LTE will never be able to work cross carrier right now.
sitlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
CSWORKER
Super Moderator

Mood: Chatty
Phone: I-Berry
SU$: 6,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconbal View Post
My account is due for an upgrade. Can I order an iphone 5 through sprint customer service, not activate it when it gets shipped to me, and sell it online to someone who has a Verizon network? Will they be able to use the phone just fine?
You do not have to activate at all, and no they can not use the iphone on verizons network.

You can only give it to someone on sprints network and yes can order thru telesales.

THANKS ccchhhrrriiisss for the premium membership
CSWORKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
Chrscott22
Cellular Phone User

Phone: EvoShift w/Root
SU$: 10,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by sitlet View Post
No, and no. If you order a phone from sprint, it already comes pre-activated. And if you use your upgrade to get the lower cost, you would have to pay the ETF if you get rid of the phone.
These aren't true. Unless you specify, upgraded phones don't come activated cause the person still needs to use their old phone till they get the new phone, and he wouldn't have to pay an ETF if he gets rid of the phone. You only have to pay an ETF if you cancel the line while you're still in contract.
Old 09-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
cadet
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 4G
SU$: 1,252
So basically since I ordered, when it comes I can just sell it on ebay and reactive another phone... also since I bought the phone at sprint.com my contract is already renewed right?
cadet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
CSWORKER
Super Moderator

Mood: Chatty
Phone: I-Berry
SU$: 6,846
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadet
So basically since I ordered, when it comes I can just sell it on ebay and reactive another phone... also since I bought the phone at sprint.com my contract is already renewed right?
Yes you can . Just make sure the esn is deleted off of your account and yes your contract is renewed .

Sent from my iPhone using SU Forum

THANKS ccchhhrrriiisss for the premium membership
CSWORKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:54 PM   #7
menmygn3
Galaxy Note 3! Oh Yeah!

Mood: Fine
Phone: I Don't KNOW!
Trades: 14
SU$: 11,761
1) You can buy a phone from Sprint.com and it will not come activated.
2) Once you receive the phone, you can sell it free and clear.
3) As long as you don't cancel the line you used, there will be no ETF.
4) It does renew your 2yr agreement on that line, not for the whole account.
5) It cannot be activated on VZ, but can be flashed to work on MetroPCS, Cricket and some other CDMA carriers. BUT, the LTE may not work on all those carriers.
menmygn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 03:25 PM   #8
goodiemob
9330 curve 3G

Phone: curve 3G
SU$: 3,195
Sell it to gamestop.
goodiemob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:17 PM   #9
gedster314
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Amused
SU$: 5,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodiemob View Post
Sell it to gamestop.
Never tried Gamestop but the other companies that buy old electronics really short change you. I've seen them offer $250 for an Iphone yet the very same Iphone is selling on Ebay and CL for over $400. That's too big of cut in my book, I would go through the extra effort of CL.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Chrscott22
Cellular Phone User

Phone: EvoShift w/Root
SU$: 10,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWORKER View Post
Yes you can . Just make sure the esn is deleted off of your account and yes your contract is renewed .
He's right and this is very important, even thought it's not activated when you sell it it's still linked to your account during shipping. You will still have to call and have the ESN removed from your account or it will act like a bad esn if they try to activate it. Not a good look for those impatient people on EBAY who swear you scammed them without contacting you to see if you can fix it

Yes absolutely skip gamestop. Your best bet with a Brand new iphone is on Ebay, even after fees you'll make more than craigslist and with less hassle.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:08 PM   #11
earthshaker78
Cordless Phone User

Phone: BB TOUR 9630
SU$: 2,553
On a similar topic... I have an old Free & Clear plan that is eligible for upgrade. Iphone 5 cant be used on this old plan, Can I use the upgrade for the Iphone 5 (and sell it), without changing my plan?

Thank you
earthshaker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #12
gtplayer
Telegraph User

SU$: 523
I don't think you'd be able to order it. But if the system lets you order the upgrade, it would be possible. Your plan wouldn't change until activated. I just don't think the system will allow you to order it, though.
gtplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:55 PM   #13
sprintuserryan
Telegraph User

SU$: 512
The phone is activated, its called a "ghost activation." its done that way so if someone either steals, or finds your phone, they can't activate.
sprintuserryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #14
menmygn3
Galaxy Note 3! Oh Yeah!

Mood: Fine
Phone: I Don't KNOW!
Trades: 14
SU$: 11,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintuserryan View Post
The phone is activated, its called a "ghost activation." its done that way so if someone either steals, or finds your phone, they can't activate.
The easiest way to do this is to activate the phone on your line, then replace it with the phone you had on that line and that should fix the "ghost activation" issue.

If not, as they mentioned above, you can call in to get it released.
menmygn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:52 AM   #15
cheezit
Smartphone connoisseur

Phone: Galaxy S 4
SU$: 4,273
OK, maybe I'm not seeing something that's in plain site here. But doesn't getting a brand new phone as an upgrade at a discount for your account, then turning right around and selling it for a profit without ever using the phone on the account constitute fraud?

Seriously, if this is a perfectly legal thing to do, it's no wonder Sprint is in finiancial trouble. About the only way this wouldn't cause Sprint to lose money is if the phone cost them less than the $199 they charge for the upgrade.
cheezit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Can I order a iphone through sprint cs, not activate it and sell it to verizon?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: