Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-24-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
MsRandall
The SU Goddess
Retired Moderator

Mood: Amazed
Phone: 64gb iPhone 5s
Trades: 34
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 40,167
Sprint Explains Spotty LTE in Launch Markets

Credit to DSL reports
http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/S...Markets-120508

Sprint Explains Spotty LTE in Launch Markets
PR Appears to Have Trumped Actual Availability
by Karl Bode 7 hours ago tags: coverage wireless wireless

Last week we noted that Sprint's LTE launch left a little something to be desired, with the company saying they'd launched in fifteen markets -- but users who live in those markets being hard pressed to find any actual LTE signal. The company's official support forums are filled with users in supposed launch markets like Atlanta and Houston who have wandered their respective cities unable to find LTE with their Sprint LTE devices. Sprint's Senior VP of Networks, Bob Azzi, tells Light Reading Mobile the company isn't really determining qualified launch markets based on the percentage covered, but due to a more nebulous determination of whether the available LTE service there will be useful:
"We weren't planning to wait until we had all our cell sites covered," explained Azzi. Instead the cities went live "when we determined that we had a sufficient footprint that enough people could find it in enough places."...Rather than launch on a specific percentage, Azzi explains, the operator's teams look at whether the coverage available will "prove a useful enough experience for our customers for us to launch it." "We weren't planning to wait until we had all our cell sites covered," explained Azzi. Instead the cities went live "when we determined that we had a sufficient footprint that enough people could find it in enough places."

In other words, Sprint wanted the PR benefit of announcing a fifteen market launch without waiting until those markets were more saturated with signal. Sprint likely wanted to appear that were nipping at the heels of AT&T, who only has LTE available in 47 markets despite a notable head start. Azzi does insist that users in these launch markets should see a dramatic improvement in the next few months.

Blessed to have my Mother as my guardian angel since 12/19/06..I love and miss you so much!!!!
MsRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:33 PM   #2
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

SU$: 22,265
sprint being deceptive as usual, what's new?
carpediem06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:49 PM   #3
MsRandall
The SU Goddess
Retired Moderator

Phone: 64gb iPhone 5s
Trades: 34
SU$: 40,167
I dont know....I mean all carriers do the PR spin...seems for some reason when Sprint does it they get called on it.

Blessed to have my Mother as my guardian angel since 12/19/06..I love and miss you so much!!!!
MsRandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #4
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

they're getting called on it because they blew it a while back...they are contracting out their spectrum, and us end users are getting screwed.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,MPCS,S &TMO
SU$: 14,747
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRandall View Post
I dont know....I mean all carriers do the PR spin...seems for some reason when Sprint does it they get called on it.
. . . because they are so atrociously bad at it. 15 markets? How does Sprint define "market?" I can attest to the fact that Sprint's LTE presence in Atlanta is akin to a needle in a haystack.
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #6
Pyramid-3
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 10,901
So it's not really a Sprint. More of a jaunt or a stroll.
Pyramid-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 08:54 AM   #7
jj14
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 1,570
Sprint: Welcome to customer care - how can I help you?
Customer: Why is LTE coverage so sucky (non-existent) in your launch cities (Dallas for example)
Sprint: Oh, haven't you heard? The Bird
Customer: bird? huh?
Sprint: <gets up and sings/dances like> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx...tailpage#t=28s

Reference: http://gizmodo.com/5929230/your-spri...cause-of-birds
jj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #8
dragonsoul1980
Telegraph User

SU$: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14
Customer: Why is LTE coverage so sucky (non-existent) in your launch cities (Dallas for example)
Sprint: <gets up and sings/dances like> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WNrx...tailpage#t=28s

LMAO , I read about the birds in Engadget this morning .... Very nice lol lol
dragonsoul1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #9
ZiggyZ
I'm Kind Of A BIG Deal...

Phone: Galaxy Note 3
SU$: 11,551
A carrier shouldn't still announce that they've launched coverage when they really haven't. Just because they are actively working on it, meaning techs are actually there working on a SINGLE tower, doesn't mean that they've launched it. I also don't feel that a carrier should go and announce that they've launched a particular city or market just because ONE tower has it active.

This reminds me of the reps that told me in my local BUFFALO sprint store, that 4G(WiMax) was released in buffalo, but it was supposivly only at the airport. I went to the airport and never got a signal.

Actually, I recently cancelled my service. 15 years, 11 lines. Boom...Gone...
ZiggyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:02 AM   #10
ZiggyZ

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj14 View Post

Sprint REALLY said this? lol "the bird?

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM   #11
jj14
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 1,570
well, that conversation was a fictional one, but per gizmodo (and several other tech sites), yes, Sprint did indicate that birds were causing bad LTE coverage.

Must have something to do with the special frequencies that Sprint's spectrum uses to make the birds come flying at supersonic speeds to Sprint's towers ONLY and leave the other carrier's towers alone
</s>
jj14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 10:18 AM   #12
carpediem06
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyZ View Post
A carrier shouldn't still announce that they've launched coverage when they really haven't. Just because they are actively working on it, meaning techs are actually there working on a SINGLE tower, doesn't mean that they've launched it. I also don't feel that a carrier should go and announce that they've launched a particular city or market just because ONE tower has it active.

This reminds me of the reps that told me in my local BUFFALO sprint store, that 4G(WiMax) was released in buffalo, but it was supposivly only at the airport. I went to the airport and never got a signal.

lol...sprint being shady again....rather dan hesse
Quote:
Sprint REALLY said this? lol "the bird?
he was joking
Old 07-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #13
Evan702
Resident Gambler

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: V950 mogul 8830
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 12,935
Question

Quote:
Which of Sprint's five launch cities (Atlanta, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Kansas City) has just ONE LTE tower active?
Evan702 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
ZiggyZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan702

Which of Sprint's five launch cities (Atlanta, Houston, San Antonio, Dallas, Kansas City) has just ONE LTE tower active?
That I dont know. I was primarily referring to Buffalo. I was told 4G(WiMax) was released when it was supposedly one tower over at the airport for which I was never able to.pick up on.

Old 07-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #15
Pyramid-3
Account Locked

Phone: HTC Evo 4G
SU$: 10,901
You are all infidels and reactionaries. To the gulag with you and your disloyalty. Sprint is the greatest thing ever in the history of people. LTE coverage reaches from here to Saturn with 1 million percent coverage and faster than light speed. All Hail Sprint!!!!
Pyramid-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > LTE Rollouts / Upcoming Devices / Network Vision > Sprint Explains Spotty LTE in Launch Markets

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: