Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 06-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
SprintIsUC
Telephone User

SU$: 1,347
Sprint Data Roaming

Does sprint offer free data roaming? How do you get the Roaming to work?
SprintIsUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM   #2
paulrotc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,457
Sprint does offer "free" data roaming. You don't have to do anything, once your phone can't reach a sprint tower, it automatically switches to one of sprints roaming partners if your in a roaming partner coverage area.

Be careful not to roam too much, however. I believe you are not allowed to roam more than 50% of your total data usage in one billing cycle. If so, sprint has the option to cancel your account (ETF free though, usually).
paulrotc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #3
SprintIsUC
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrotc
Sprint does offer "free" data roaming. You don't have to do anything, once your phone can't reach a sprint tower, it automatically switches to one of sprints roaming partners if your in a roaming partner coverage area.

Be careful not to roam too much, however. I believe you are not allowed to roam more than 50% of your total data usage in one billing cycle. If so, sprint has the option to cancel your account (ETF free though, usually).
I'm trying to get rid of sprint: , they wanted to keep my phone for the early termination fee to be waived and the an additional $174.00 past due balance to be paid. So I want to know of I can get out of sprints coverage how would I be able to roam I want the to cancel me
Completely. And on pay for all my over due balance.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:14 PM   #4
Lkr
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S
SU$: 867
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrotc View Post

do they really care if my roam is at 100mb and my sprint is at 30mb since its pretty much unusable?
Lkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #5
paulrotc
Telephone User

Depending on what type of phone you have, there are some apps that can force a phone to roam only. I had one on my evo a couple years ago.

If you have an iPhone, I'm not certain you can force roam. You may have to go to a non sprint coverage area and roam lime crazy.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
paulrotc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lkr

do they really care if my roam is at 100mb and my sprint is at 30mb since its pretty much unusable?
Well, if that's all your data in one billing cycle, then yes they care. Seems petty, but sprint has to pay whichever roaming partner for each MB you roam.

It's a cost analysis issue. If you are costing sprint more than your making them.......it doesn't chalk up to a win for them
Old 06-03-2012, 08:31 PM   #7
luv2byte
Telephone User

Phone: Mogul 6800
SU$: 1,501
There is a setting in the phone to set it to roam for data & phone.
luv2byte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 11:30 PM   #8
SprintIsUC
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2byte
There is a setting in the phone to set it to roam for data & phone.
Does data roaming offer better coverage for web then sprint does?
Old 06-04-2012, 01:04 PM   #9
Remax Realtor
No love for Android

Phone: a-900
SU$: 6,390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintIsUC View Post
Depends on your area and coverage. Check your sprint coverage maps and verizon coverage maps in the places you will probably have to roam. I dont know of a way to force roam on an iphone, so I dont see a purpose of this. You signed a contract with them. Man up and pay it or stay with them until your contract is over.
Remax Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
SprintIsUC
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remax Realtor

Depends on your area and coverage. Check your sprint coverage maps and verizon coverage maps in the places you will probably have to roam. I dont know of a way to force roam on an iphone, so I dont see a purpose of this. You signed a contract with them. Man up and pay it or stay with them until your contract is over.
Why pay it when I can roam... Have them terminate my service and keep my phone. You do the math.
Old 06-04-2012, 01:14 PM   #11
Remax Realtor
No love for Android

Phone: a-900
SU$: 6,390
Quote:
Depends on your area and coverage. Check your sprint coverage maps and verizon coverage maps in the places you will probably have to roam. I dont know of a way to force roam on an iphone, so I dont see a purpose of this. You signed a contract with them. Man up and pay it or stay with them until your contract is over. Seems simple rather than trying to find a way out.
Remax Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:54 PM   #12
paulrotc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintIsUC

Why pay it when I can roam... Have them terminate my service and keep my phone. You do the math.
Not that I like to get into pissing contests on here, but...... That is the exact reason why MY rates keep going up. I did the math, and in some way shape or form, your screwing folks.

Just pay your ETF and sell your phone to recoup the cost.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #13
Aleko
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Galaxy S3
Trades: 9
SU$: 14,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrotc View Post
Not that I like to get into pissing contests on here, but...... That is the exact reason why MY rates keep going up. I did the math, and in some way shape or form, your screwing folks.

Just pay your ETF and sell your phone to recoup the cost.
You can't blame the customers for it, becasue they do pay what they agreed to pay for the service, but Sprint is the one failing to provide that service and extorting the ETFs from the customers not willing to put up with this BS. Some will roll over and pay the ETF, "gifting" another $200 (or more) to the company that failed to hold up their end of the agreement. Others will fight back any way they can and not let themselves be bullied around. Do you think people would be willingly going through the trouble of hacking their phones just to spite Sprint?
Aleko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #14
andre141
A Happy Verizon Customer since 10/14/11

Mood: Chatty
Phone: iPhone 5S
Trades: 11
SU$: 28,224
Quote:
Why keep the phone if it has no service?

Just cancel, sell the phone, and use the money from selling the phone to pay the ETF. If you have an iPhone, you'll be able to sell the phone for more than your ETF so you will even walk away with some money in your pocket even after paying the ETF.

Sounds like a win win to me.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:33 PM   #15
paulrotc
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleko

You can't blame the customers for it, becasue they do pay what they agreed to pay for the service, but Sprint is the one failing to provide that service and extorting the ETFs from the customers not willing to put up with this BS. Some will roll over and pay the ETF, "gifting" another $200 (or more) to the company that failed to hold up their end of the agreement. Others will fight back any way they can and not let themselves be bullied around. Do you think people would be willingly going through the trouble of hacking their phones just to spite Sprint?
So using your logic here.......if 100 customers "screw" the system, isn't that money that can be used towards sprint upgrading their network rather than failing like it currently is? I stick by my response.

Just sell the phone, pay off your ETF and go to another network. We have choices in networks so you can make your cell work for you, no one says you have to stay with the "cheapest" post paid provider.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > Sprint Data Roaming

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: