Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:12 AM   #1
Hip2Bsquare
Cordless Phone User

Mood: shopping
Phone: Note2 & S4
My Mood: shopping
SU$: 3,925
WiFi only uses for Bad ESN phone

I seem to be a magnet for bad ESN Sprint Android phones bought off of eBay.

Will side loading Android apps on the SD card or thru my PC on to these phones work? I need a message over wifi app and the blood sugar management app for my 13 year old son with Type 1 diabetes.

The eBay sellers swear that the ESNs were good when the owners traded them in, so I think it is a case of the prior owners calling Sprint after they sold/traded them in and claiming the phone was lost or stolen just to **** over the the retailer.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:07 AM   #2
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: HTC PC36100
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 64,496
Check rating + comments on eBay seller.

Phone should still work / connect to market over WiFi, unless things have changed.

You could contact seller, and try to return it, or file a claim via eBay / pay pal, sorry to hear nevertheless...

_(¯`·._( My Ice Cream Is Better Than Yours )_.·´¯)_

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #3
Hip2Bsquare
Cordless Phone User

I got a full refund on the first one, and am waiting to hear back from the second seller.

Both were 10+ years eBay sellers with 99.7% or above positive feedback. I think whoever they took the phones in trade from, went home and decided to screw 'em. eBay should require sellers advertizing Good / Clean ESN to verify by one of the free ESN checkers out there before listing.

Any decent wifi only instant messengers for Android out there?
Old 04-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,MPCS,S &TMO
SU$: 14,182
You can use Google Play via wifi. Any IM app will work. As a matter of fact, you can achieve full function using wifi only.
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
slick69

Phone: Tbolt/MoPho
SU$: 10,990
Unless you got a "helluva deal" on the phone, aka too good to be true, I'd just get a refund. The bad ESN will make it worthless when the time comes to move on from it, and a wifi-only phone is quite useless if you don't have a "real" phone to complement it.
slick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
Beer Abuser
Buck extra the worth always is beer good

Phone: HTC PC36100
SU$: 64,496
You could also try Google voice + voip from the market for messaging & calling, unless GV needs a direct number linked, granted, there might a workaround on the net...$02

_(¯`·._( My Ice Cream Is Better Than Yours )_.·´¯)_

Never argue with an idiot - they'll bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Beer Abuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
harrychimp
Telegraph User

Phone: Galaxy S III
SU$: 958
Try using swappa.com next time you want to buy a phone off-contract. I signed up to sell a phone thru swappa.com and I had to input the ESN number to guarantee the phone is clean and could be activated to a potential buyer. It seems their site offers more reassurance to potential buyers.

For me, my preference is Craigslist. I meet a buyer/seller usually at Starbuck's and make the transaction. If I'm the buyer, I'll call Sprint to confirm the ESN is clean before handing over $$$. I also have Pocket ESN app which has been 100% accurate so far, but I like to get the confirmation from Sprint as well so I can immediately activate the phone.

In my experience I have not met a seller face-to-face who was dishonest about the phone's ESN. I have had success sniffing out the crooks through text/email exchange. My rule of thumb is the less info a person provides, the higher the probability the person is not dealing legitimately.
Samsung Galaxy S III (SPH -L710)>HTC EVO 4G LTE>Samsung Epic 4G Touch>HTC EVO 3D>HTC EVO 4G>HTC Hero>Blackberry 8530>Blackberry 8330>Samsung Instinct (the original iPhone Killer....NOT!)>Motorola Razr KM1>Motorola E815>Motorola V710>Samsung SGH-X475>Motorola V195>Nokia 6020> Nokia 3320
harrychimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
jayhuffdaddy
Cellular Phone User

Phone: SGSV
Trades: 1
SU$: 6,961
Or use this in the future

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
Old 04-19-2012, 07:31 PM   #9
slick69

Phone: Tbolt/MoPho
SU$: 10,990
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhuffdaddy View Post
The free version only checks the ESN on the phone it is installed on. A better alternative is checkesnfree.com which you can pull up on your own phone and check it. But the ultimate check is always activating the device on your own account. Sometimes the reps only check one database if you ask them to check the ESN of a phone, and then when you go to activate it, they tell you that it can't be done because the phone has a bad ESN.
slick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:22 AM   #10
Hip2Bsquare
Cordless Phone User

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:40 AM   #11
SLME
AT&T and Happy!

Mood: Breezy
Phone: AT&T LG G2
Trades: 11
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 56,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2Bsquare View Post
I seem to be a magnet for bad ESN Sprint Android phones bought off of eBay.

Will side loading Android apps on the SD card or thru my PC on to these phones work? I need a message over wifi app and the blood sugar management app for my 13 year old son with Type 1 diabetes.

The eBay sellers swear that the ESNs were good when the owners traded them in, so I think it is a case of the prior owners calling Sprint after they sold/traded them in and claiming the phone was lost or stolen just to **** over the the retailer.
One thing to note when buying a CDMA phone off Ebay is that if the listing has the ESN of the phone in the listing you would be screwed from the get go to buy it.

From my experience if the seller posts the ESN on the auction someone other then the seller will use that ESN for insurance fraud and the phone is "blacklisted" at that point.

Some sellers aren't aware of this fraud situation and post the ESN in good faith, but there is a downside to this.

In the past when I bought CDMA phones off Ebay and noticed the seller posted the ESN I would not even bid on it as I knew that phone would be compromised.

A hard lesson to learn tho.

When I sold my Sprint phones on Ebay I would only release the ESN to the winning bidder of my auctions.
> The "old" VA Watchdog Site has Returned. http://www.vawatchdog.org/
> Ebenefits has a mobile site now at http://m.ebenefits.va.gov
> To read the Stars and Stripes on Military News. http://www.stripes.com/
SLME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM   #12
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
Trades: 2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,797
textfree.com
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #13
Hip2Bsquare
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLME View Post
One thing to note when buying a CDMA phone off Ebay is that if the listing has the ESN of the phone in the listing you would be screwed from the get go to buy it.
No, neither listing had the ESN number posted. They both advertized "Good ESN can activate on Sprint". The first seller apologized and refunded right away. The second is being a Big Richard and will not refund until we return the phone at our expense. I opened an eBay dispute and they will credit me as soon as the tracking number is delivery confirmed on the return, but I am still out return postage. I bought what was advertized as a good phone, seller sent me a brick. While the brick is in mint condition, I have no use for a brick. I want the working phone I ordered. Now I have to pay to ship the brick back so I can get a refund. Sucks.
Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #14
harrychimp
Telegraph User

Phone: Galaxy S III
SU$: 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2Bsquare

No, neither listing had the ESN number posted. They both advertized "Good ESN can activate on Sprint". The first seller apologized and refunded right away. The second is being a Big Richard and will not refund until we return the phone at our expense. I opened an eBay dispute and they will credit me as soon as the tracking number is delivery confirmed on the return, but I am still out return postage. I bought what was advertized as a good phone, seller sent me a brick. While the brick is in mint condition, I have no use for a brick. I want the working phone I ordered. Now I have to pay to ship the brick back so I can get a refund. Sucks.
Post the seller's username, the seller's given name, general area where he/she resides, and a link of the actual listing.

You will be doing all of us a service so that we can be aware of this dishonest PR!ck and rightfully tarnishing his/her name.

Sent from my Xoom using SprintUsers Forum
Samsung Galaxy S III (SPH -L710)>HTC EVO 4G LTE>Samsung Epic 4G Touch>HTC EVO 3D>HTC EVO 4G>HTC Hero>Blackberry 8530>Blackberry 8330>Samsung Instinct (the original iPhone Killer....NOT!)>Motorola Razr KM1>Motorola E815>Motorola V710>Samsung SGH-X475>Motorola V195>Nokia 6020> Nokia 3320
harrychimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #15
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Dont forget to file a complaint with PayPal too.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > WiFi only uses for Bad ESN phone

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: