Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
QponCutie
Telegraph User

SU$: 220
Can I Activate These Phones on PrePaid Service?

I have an older EVO, and a Blackberry Curve. I wanted to activate one of them on a prepaid service for my daughter, since Sprint will not let me add another line to my family plan.

Will either of these phones work on a prepaid plan?
QponCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
SU$: 127,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by QponCutie View Post
I have an older EVO, and a Blackberry Curve. I wanted to activate one of them on a prepaid service for my daughter, since Sprint will not let me add another line to my family plan.

Well, that depends on what you want the devices to do. Talk and text, you can probably get them flashed for most any CDMA carrier such as page plus.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Riinku
All day, Erry day.

Phone: Nexus S 4G
SU$: 478
Send a message via Skype™ to Riinku
Quote:
Originally Posted by QponCutie View Post

As much as Sprint does not want me to tell you this...

You can get the EVO flashed to most prepaid carriers, and all services will work EXCEPT for 4g. The blackberry will be tougher, as all data services have to pass through RIM first. I can not flash the phone for you, or tell you how to do it. But there are many people who will do it for a fee.

Hope this helps!

The information, opinions, or help provided is not condoned or provided by Sprint/Nextel in any way, shape, or form and the statments made on this public forum do not represent Sprint/Nextel; only myself.
Riinku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #4
QponCutie
Telegraph User

SU$: 220
Thanks for the info! I really just want it for talk/text for my daughter, so that's no biggie. And the 4g around here sucks, so nobody would miss it! LOL
QponCutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 04:39 AM   #5
valuequest
Telegraph User

SU$: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riinku View Post
The blackberry will be tougher, as all data services have to pass through RIM first.
I have a BB 8330 with a Sprint ROM that I'd like to take to one of the prepaid services, and I could appreciate 3G data service if possible.

Does anyone know of any prepaid services which can activate and deliver 3G data to a BB directly through the host network, i.e. NOT through RIM's servers?
valuequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:47 AM   #6
Terry K
Telegraph User

Phone: Iphone 4s
SU$: 676
I'm told Page + can now activate Blackberries, but getting around the MSL and the PRL issues will require some flashing that I don't know how to do.
Terry K is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Terry K For This Useful Post:
valuequest (06-05-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
paulrotc
Telephone User

SU$: 1,457
Quote:
Originally Posted by valuequest

I have a BB 8330 with a Sprint ROM that I'd like to take to one of the prepaid services, and I could appreciate 3G data service if possible.

Does anyone know of any prepaid services which can activate and deliver 3G data to a BB directly through the host network, i.e. NOT through RIM's servers?
Good question, but the answer I am aware of is one that you won't favor lol.

Blackberry data services work trough either a BIS or BES server gateway. BIS being the most common to users not tied to a corporate structure (stands for blackberry Internet service, the E is for Enterprise in BES). I am not aware of any way to get around the data because all of the data funnels to RIMs servers, where it authenticates the phones BIS or BES status and then allows access. That is why email is instant on Blackberrys. Now push is catching up, but isn't as instantaneous yet.

Anyway......sorry for the rant.....but I have never come across someone that was able to keep data oz their blackberry long enough to be useable on a prepaid service that doesn't have a subscriber agreement with RIM. Some have been able to activate them and have them work for a bit, but once the service provider sees the data funneled to RIM, they usually sever the connection..... Then your SOL.

I could be wrong though. But whatever you decide to do, I hope it works out in your favor!
paulrotc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to paulrotc For This Useful Post:
valuequest (06-05-2012)
Old 10-22-2012, 05:36 PM   #8
infinitig
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 59
just an fyi, there is new offerings in the sprint prepaid arena. some companies such as ecomobile, prepayd wireless and others are offering bring your own sprint device programs to allow for contract side handsets be used on prepaid. i am using an evo on ecomobile. ting also announced that they were getting it but i dont know if they released it just yet? anyone have an idea?
infinitig is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Other Carriers & MVNOs > Prepaid Wireless Services & PTT > Can I Activate These Phones on PrePaid Service?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: