Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 12,815
Question Buying a Sprint phone from Amazon, Costco or BestBuy...

Hey guys and gals,

My wife and I are considering a move to the EVERYTHING DATA plan and finally moving to better phones.

The device that my wife was interested in (via Sprint.com) -- the Motorola Photon -- is now $149.99 (with an additional $50 rebate). However, nearly every other website or store has this device for $49.99 with a 2 year upgrade.

However...

The line up for a rebate is NOT her line. She wants to use MY upgrade to purchase a phone and then activate it on her line. Her line will be out-of-contract in a couple of months, but she is extremely tired of her Treo Pro.

Question: If we purchase a phone using my line's upgrade, will we be able to:

A.) Move this device to her line without a problem or penalty?
B.) Have the $36 activation fee waived?

Are there any other possible disadvantages of buying a phone through a third party vendor like Amazon, BestBuy or Costco?

Thanks!

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:34 PM   #2
boxermansr
Cellular Junkie

Mood: Bored
Phone: iPhone 14
Trades: 16
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 19,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
Hey guys and gals,

My wife and I are considering a move to the EVERYTHING DATA plan and finally moving to better phones.

The device that my wife was interested in (via Sprint.com) -- the Motorola Photon -- is now $149.99 (with an additional $50 rebate). However, nearly every other website or store has this device for $49.99 with a 2 year upgrade.

However...

The line up for a rebate is NOT her line. She wants to use MY upgrade to purchase a phone and then activate it on her line. Her line will be out-of-contract in a couple of months, but she is extremely tired of her Treo Pro.

Question: If we purchase a phone using my line's upgrade, will we be able to:

A.) Move this device to her line without a problem or penalty?
B.) Have the $36 activation fee waived?

Are there any other possible disadvantages of buying a phone through a third party vendor like Amazon, BestBuy or Costco?

Thanks!

A) Depends on where you get it, I've done it several times at BestBuy without an issue. Sometimes they'll require me to activate it in store, other times they just let me leave without doing so, and I can go outside, call Sprint put my old phone back on the line (as they do actually attach the ESN to the line you "activated" it on), and give them the ESN for the new phone for the line I want to put it on.

B) Not very likely, won't happen at all at Best Buy, no idea about amazon or costco, but keep in mind with them (at least amazon i believe), it may trigger some kind of penalty charge if you swap the phone to another line before a specific number of days..

All in all, I always prefer best buy (won't buy anything else there cuz I sorta hate the place), but as far as wireless devices go, they're aces.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:17 PM   #3
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,140
You have to check around for activation fee waivers. Sprint.com and Amazon do it ocassionally and Sam's Club had a special not too long ago with free activations. Don't know about Costco. It's almost like you have to be in the right place at the right time anymore.

You could also try to call in. Some people have posted that if you get the right rep, you could get a credit in lieu of a waiver. I guess its how they input it in the system. Good luck.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
menmygn3
Galaxy Note 3! Oh Yeah!

Mood: Fine
Phone: I Don't KNOW!
Trades: 14
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 11,863
Go to Best Buy and do the upgrade.

Once you get home, simply call sprint and swap phones.

Understand that your plan will change with the new phone purchase and even if you swap back to your old phone on your line, you will not be able to get your old plan back.

Best Buy usually waives activation fee and generally has lower out the door prices than anyone else with an actual storefront.

My dads line was eligible and we bought an Evo 3D on his line, then walked outside and called sprint to swap phones. No problems.
menmygn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #5
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyPro View Post
Go to Best Buy and do the upgrade.

Once you get home, simply call sprint and swap phones.

Understand that your plan will change with the new phone purchase and even if you swap back to your old phone on your line, you will not be able to get your old plan back.

Best Buy usually waives activation fee and generally has lower out the door prices than anyone else with an actual storefront.

My dads line was eligible and we bought an Evo 3D on his line, then walked outside and called sprint to swap phones. No problems.
What do you mean that our "plan will change?"

I am planning on calling Sprint to change the plan FIRST (while keeping our existing phones). After that, I want to go to Best Buy (or elsewhere) and upgrade our phones.

We have a few minor "perks" (N&W at 6 PM, Pick 1) that I don't want to lose...even if we rarely use them. However, our plan will be the Everything Data 1500...and I don't think that it would change, right?

I guess that I am concerned that swapping devices between lines would result in some sort of secondary ETF or something. It would be great to buy the phone, take it home and then activate it on the line that wants it.

I just worry about getting some sort of penalty for it.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
menmygn3
Galaxy Note 3! Oh Yeah!

Mood: Fine
Phone: I Don't KNOW!
Trades: 14
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 11,863
Since you are changing the plan, that won't be a problem then.
But there is no guarantee that your "perks" wont drop off, them may not be compatible with the new plan.

As long as you don't cancel the line, you won't receive any ETF fees.

I've done it 3 times w/ BB and no fees.
menmygn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #7
Hip2Bsquare
Cordless Phone User

Mood: shopping
Phone: Note2 & S4
My Mood: shopping
SU$: 3,944
I thought Costco kicked Sprint to the curb years ago.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 PM   #8
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by menmyPro View Post
Since you are changing the plan, that won't be a problem then.
But there is no guarantee that your "perks" wont drop off, them may not be compatible with the new plan.

As long as you don't cancel the line, you won't receive any ETF fees.

I've done it 3 times w/ BB and no fees.
Even if we swap the phones because of the upgrades on certain lines?

Old 02-28-2012, 08:37 PM   #9
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 21,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip2Bsquare View Post
I thought Costco kicked Sprint to the curb years ago.
Nah, they brought em back a while ago. I think Duffman first posted about it sometime last year.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Costco.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	43483  
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:19 AM   #10
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB112
Nah, they brought em back a while ago. I think Duffman first posted about it sometime last year.
Only on their web site, not in stores, as far as I know.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 06:58 AM   #11
gr8-wrx
Telegraph User

Phone: iPhone 4S
SU$: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgmayka View Post
Only on their web site, not in stores, as far as I know.
Not in Nor Cal stores, for sure.
gr8-wrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:33 AM   #12
Tomvm
Ham Radio Expert Tom

Mood: Bored
Phone: Samsung Epic 4G
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 565
Online did a "price match" to wave the $36 fee. They may do that if Walmart or best Buy is doing it. Worth a try.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #13
Subie77
Sprint Chic

Mood: Psychedelic
Phone: Droid Charge
My Mood: Psychedelic
SU$: 1,128
If your wife uses your upgrade for her line, she can switch it to her line right away IF the price she buys it for doesn't have the Sprint mail in rebate as part of the discount. If it does and you move it over before the 30 days mail in rebates can deny the rebate. I don;t know if this is a recent change for Sprint, but I was just educated in this tidbit a few weeks ago by my supervisor.

As far as waiving the upgrade fee, if you catch a promo or have the 3rd party actively waive the fee, you're in business. if you try to call in to get it waived, you're out of luck. Sprint reps have gotten NUMEROUS training session about how the upgrade fee is a valid charge and that we should never waive it. Ever. Corporate is really cracking down on that.

Last edited by Subie77; 02-29-2012 at 09:13 AM.
Subie77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 AM   #14
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvm View Post
Online did a "price match" to wave the $36 fee. They may do that if Walmart or best Buy is doing it. Worth a try.
Which online did the "price match?"

That is interesting!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:48 AM   #15
legion125
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,140
So it looks like you have to hunt around and see if retailers are having specials on activation waivers. Too bad Sprint.com doesn't support that any longer. That was the one reason that drove prople to the site for phone purchases now you go somewhere else to get the device cheaper and compenste for the activation fee.
legion125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Buying a Sprint phone from Amazon, Costco or BestBuy...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: