Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-24-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
First time with Motorola since the early 90's

After much internal debate, and much thoughtful assistance from folks on this site and at Sprint, I have taken the plunge and ordered the Photon. I'm currently driving an HTC EVO Shift, which I think is a much more in league with the original EVO (it beats it in benchmark tests) than it is given credit for, BUT, 512mb RAM/ROM really hobbles it, and, I find that I can't maintain speed and responsiveness in even basic functions if I don't keep notably over 100Mb (closer to 200mb) free at all times.

My plan, since I like my Shift, was to wait until 4g LTE came out. But, with the $49 web special for new and re-upping customers, the temptation was too high and I had to consider making a move now.

The Motorola had a lot in its favor. Good looks (to me, most Android phones look like iPhones on steroids anyway), solid build quality, good fit and finish, killer specs with enough memory to solve my slow down issues, possibly the best soft keyboard I've ever used, and, until today, I didn't think anything was better than the iPhone keyboard, and a $49 price tag.

Another big selling point for me... The accessories. The PC docking station, the netbook... I'm not saying I'm going to buy any of it, but, it shows a real commitment on the part of Motorola to this product.

It's going to be interesting when it finally arrives. I think this is the first Motorola smartphone that Sprint has carried, the first Motorola I've had since the early 90's. I'm seriously going to pay attention during my 14 day trial period.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gedansky For This Useful Post:
ccchhhrrriiisss (02-27-2012)
Old 02-27-2012, 10:54 PM   #2
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 12,815
Keep us updated! I am very interested!

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 07:19 PM   #3
gedansky
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Palm Pre
Trades: 1
SU$: 24,439
Had the Photon for 4 days and I am very happy. All around looks, form factor, fit-and-finish, etc, are great! The screen is beautiful (don't understand the folks who say it's pixilated. No such animal, even to the best of eyes) and the most responsive I have ever used. The cursor places exactly where I want it to go in text (not even the iPhone and iPad do this, and they are top notch products, love-em or hate-em), and the touch keyboard is so accurate and responsive that I almost don't miss my hard keyboard.

All the specs live up to their expectations including the camera, which is so much better than it is given credit for. And, any place where the Photon falls into the low end of the minutia between specs of other products (i.e., 4.3 vs 4.5 inch screen on the Galaxy II etc.), it more than makes up for it with possibly the best call and data reception around. I consistently have 4-5 bars, and crystal clear calls on both ends, with little to no dropping. And I have gone from mediocre data on my HTC EVO 4g with virtually no 4g coverage (I thought the 4g WiMax network just sucked), to full 4g nearly everywhere I go. Most of the folks I read about who have the EVO 3D or Galaxy II say they keep their 4g off because coverage is spotty. I leave my 4g on now all the time because I can almost always get 4g (WiMax or no, it's pretty cool).

The 10 hour talk time on the battery is not an exaggeration, and I easily get from 7am to at least 11pm (usually around 1am) with half my power intact. I do charge in the car, throughout the day, but, that's not for very long. This, as opposed to folks who have to plug in whenever they are stationary.

If I had any complaint it's that Motorola doesn't designed very engaging widgets. They work, and look good when you activate them, but, at first glance they are not much to look at compared to the rest of the device.

To top it off it's a world phone! I almost want to plan a trip just so I can pay over priced charges calling out of country.

I have not been this happy with a phone in a long time. The remaining, telling questions will be: How reliable will it remain? and how long will my original device last? I could fill a post with how many smartphone models I have had since 2001, and how many of each has failed and been replaced under warranty.

But, as of now, I can safely say, $49 and another 2 year contract well-spent and I can't recommend it enough.

Last edited by gedansky; 03-01-2012 at 07:26 PM.
gedansky is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Motorola > First time with Motorola since the early 90's

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: