Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-08-2012, 01:14 AM   #1
jasonpbyu
Telegraph User

Phone: A600
SU$: 87
Can't upgrade my 10 year old $15 plan... or did I find a way around it?

My wife's phone is not up for upgrade until April 1st... i have an old sprint line from 10 years ago at a job that was partners with sprint that we dont use but have kept because it is only $15 a month for 1500 minutes with unlimited text and data (not 3G or 4G though, its a palm centro). problem is that plan is so old that they can't upgrade me in stores, because it requires a change to the plan, which loses me that great plan . we keep it because when my step son goes with his dad he takes the phone, and when the kids get older its a great cheap plan to let them use.

Well when I go online it says eligible for upgrade, but when I go to sprint stores or call them they can't upgrade it because the plan requires the data upgrade, but it wont let them add it on for $10/month, it says i need an entirely new plan.

We want to get the iPhone for my wife, but she can't upgrade yet. Well she is upgrading monday because we paid $45 to "buy up", but yeah, thats the deal with her phone.

So... when I go to bestbuy website, it has me input my phone # and zip, then it says i'm eligible for an upgrade, it walks me through picking out a phone, then it says it is retrieving my plan information, then it says i need $10/month data plan, so i agree to that, i agree to the one time $36 charge, then it asks what store I want to pick it up in, then it tells me to checkout.

So..... do you think i've found a way around sprint's plan requirement? i'm thinking of getting this iPhone and then selling it or trying to put my cheap plan on it with the $10 data. But... would this phone be locked from someone else using it because it would show it has not been owned for 2 years?

or will customer service put a stop to it (does best buy go through sprint customer service??) my wife tried at the sprint store today to upgrade it, the sales rep said sure thing we can upgrade, processed everything then when he called customer service to do something, they said nope, cannot upgrade my line even with $10 extra per month.
jasonpbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:24 AM   #2

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonpbyu View Post
My wife's phone is not up for upgrade until April 1st... i have an old sprint line from 10 years ago at a job that was partners with sprint that we dont use but have kept because it is only $15 a month for 1500 minutes with unlimited text and data (not 3G or 4G though, its a palm centro). problem is that plan is so old that they can't upgrade me in stores, because it requires a change to the plan, which loses me that great plan . we keep it because when my step son goes with his dad he takes the phone, and when the kids get older its a great cheap plan to let them use.

Well when I go online it says eligible for upgrade, but when I go to sprint stores or call them they can't upgrade it because the plan requires the data upgrade, but it wont let them add it on for $10/month, it says i need an entirely new plan.

We want to get the iPhone for my wife, but she can't upgrade yet. Well she is upgrading monday because we paid $45 to "buy up", but yeah, thats the deal with her phone.

So... when I go to bestbuy website, it has me input my phone # and zip, then it says i'm eligible for an upgrade, it walks me through picking out a phone, then it says it is retrieving my plan information, then it says i need $10/month data plan, so i agree to that, i agree to the one time $36 charge, then it asks what store I want to pick it up in, then it tells me to checkout.

So..... do you think i've found a way around sprint's plan requirement? i'm thinking of getting this iPhone and then selling it or trying to put my cheap plan on it with the $10 data. But... would this phone be locked from someone else using it because it would show it has not been owned for 2 years?

or will customer service put a stop to it (does best buy go through sprint customer service??) my wife tried at the sprint store today to upgrade it, the sales rep said sure thing we can upgrade, processed everything then when he called customer service to do something, they said nope, cannot upgrade my line even with $10 extra per month.
you can order the phone but you will not be able to activate it once you receive the handset. to get it activate you will be required to change your plan.

BTW palm centro is a 3G device. (EVDO=3G)
Old 01-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #3
jasonpbyu
Telegraph User

Phone: A600
SU$: 87
interesting that the centro is 3G because the stores tell me i can't use a 3G device, but data works fine on that.

so.. if i buy the device and can't activate it, can i sell it? or would the ESN not allow an activation? and if i pay the $10 data fee then that would make my plan 4G compatible no?
jasonpbyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
Big Whiskey
Cordless Phone User

Phone: EVO
SU$: 1,557
I think Best Buy has some stipulation that the device must be activated on your account and it must be active for at least certain period of time. I am not an expert on their policies, so if someone wants to correct me, please do. You won't be able to just pay 10 bucks more and have a 4G or any other new plan-required device with your current plan.
Old 01-08-2012, 05:41 PM   #5
CSWORKER
Super Moderator

Mood: Chatty
Phone: I-Berry
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 6,958
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whiskey View Post
I think Best Buy has some stipulation that the device must be activated on your account and it must be active for at least certain period of time. I am not an expert on their policies, so if someone wants to correct me, please do. You won't be able to just pay 10 bucks more and have a 4G or any other new plan-required device with your current plan.
You are correct, best buy requires the phone to be activated on the line eligible for an upgrade. If you go thru with the equipment swap YOU will LOSE your plan and more than likely may not be able to get it back.

If you want to go that route with the iphone upgrade online and once they send you the phone, you can sell it. Just make sure the esn is removed off of your account.

THANKS ccchhhrrriiisss for the premium membership
CSWORKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 09:16 PM   #6
Hola
Cellular Phone User

Phone: 4G
SU$: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWORKER View Post
You are correct, best buy requires the phone to be activated on the line eligible for an upgrade. If you go thru with the equipment swap YOU will LOSE your plan and more than likely may not be able to get it back.

If you want to go that route with the iphone upgrade online and once they send you the phone, you can sell it. Just make sure the esn is removed off of your account.
So if you find the SAME exact phone in e-bay/craig's list but in better condition, you still have to change the plan?
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
CSWORKER
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hola

So if you find the SAME exact phone in e-bay/craig's list but in better condition, you still have to change the plan?
You only have to change your plan for the newer phones. If you are getting an older phone ,depending on the model, it doesn't require a plan change .

Sent from my iPhone using SU Forum

Old 01-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #8
Hola
Cellular Phone User

Phone: 4G
SU$: 4,977
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSWORKER View Post
You only have to change your plan for the newer phones. If you are getting an older phone ,depending on the model, it doesn't require a plan change .

Sent from my iPhone using SU Forum
That's exactly why I said get the same exact phone, just maybe in a bit better condition.
Hola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
CSWORKER
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hola View Post
That's exactly why I said get the same exact phone, just maybe in a bit better condition.
Then no you will not have to change the plan

Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Can't upgrade my 10 year old $15 plan... or did I find a way around it?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: