Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 27,706
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyZ View Post
You can either meet at the Sprint Store to activate, OR activate the handset over the phone before exchanging money. I've done that twice. I've purchased handsets from Craigslist several times. Every one of them, I have either met the person at their home or someplace out in public. I would check out the phone and everything then advise the seller that I am calling sprint to make sure that I can activate it. I will actually activate it then and there over the phone. Once I have the phone successfully activated on my account, then I will exchange the cash.

I have dealt with some real buttholes in the past who claim that they feel really insulted that I do what I do before hand. Claiming that I made them feel like some type of a theif.

One time I had found a Touch Pro for $100 on craigslist. It was in pristene condition. Not a scratch or anything. it was flawless. It was like purchasing a new device. It had the box and everything with it. It actually only had less than 1,000 mins of talk time and 300mb of data used. The guy was selling it because he received it as a gift, and it was too much of a powerhouse for him to use and handle. He was happy with the same Sanyo 5300 flip phone he had for the last several years.

This guy had the audacity to try and sue me afterwards. I went through the same motions I did with anyone else. I had activated the device before I paid him. He left a little angry with me because I called Sprint to activate before paying him. After we exchanged hands and everything. I had the phone activated. I then went to the sprint store to buy accessories for it. I had walked out of the store with a case and car charger. Then all of a sudden the guy I purchased the Touch Pro from approached me in the parking lot at the sprint store. He said that he changed his mind and wanted the phone back for making him feel like a theif. He had the $100 as well ready to give me. I told him no, sorry, the sale was final, that I just purchased accessories and everything. I told him as well, that regardless, he followed me and everything which was pretty creepy that he was in NO WAY getting the phone back. Even so, I wouldn't have given the phone back because it was a dun-deal. Plus I had his signature on a paper agreeing with the transaction. He tried to intimidate me by threatening to beat my butt. I told him to try it. Told him he might want to rethink that because Sprint had camera's faced towards outside. I told him furthermore, that if he continued to follow me, that I would have him arrested for stalking and other onesense charges that I knew someone at the local chopshop. He then left in anger and that was it.

3 weeks later I get a sheriff at my door to SERVE me court papers because I have been sued by this guy. I showed up a few weeks later at the court. He was suing me claiming I misled him on the price and that I owed him MORE money. Claiming that I only partially paid him. That the phone was worth at least $300. He felt that insulted by the whole transaction that took place. When I showed up at court the judge acted as if I did take advantage of this guy. He brought with him a print out from the sprint website, Bestbuy and from a local 3rd party to prove his case. The websites averaged the phone BRAND NEW at around $600. I told her that the phone WAS NOT brand new that it was used. I then showed the judge the paper that the guy signed agreeing to the price, condition, and the fact that it was a final sale. I also had a copy of the Craiglist ad as well. I even gave the judge a copy of the papers that were served to me, for which the guy signed off on. everything was a match. The guy tried to lie about it at first, then finely said yes that it was his signature. Then he tried claiming that I set the price. I then told the judge to look at the craigslist ad again.

All-in-all the guy was a complete moron. I think he forgot about the paper that he signed as well. And didn't do ANY research prior to selling his phone. He clearly had a case of buyers remourse. Regardless, I owed this guy NOTHING.

Anytime I do business with anyone IN PERSON that involves more than $100, especially if I feel as though it has much more value than what I paid, I will have that person sign something to the effect that they agree with everything including with the price, condition, etc. It's not as complicated as it sounds really. It also depends on what I am purchasing or selling.

I do business this way because of obvious lessons learned.
Wow, that is insane. I've heard of some crazy stuff going down with idiots on Craigslist, but that's a first for me.

The moron probably realized that he sold the phone for way less than he could have gotten, and regretted it.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:15 AM   #17
gedster314
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Amused
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 5,144
I sell on Craigslist all the time and I tell you it's always an adventure. Too many flakes, spam emails, people wanting it shipped, people wanting you to hold till payday next week and people that want to make payments. Even had someone claim they were a minister and he wanted to make payments on a laptop. Sometimes I wonder if it's just better to pay the ebay/paypal/amazon fees.

If your a buyer, if the seller seems a little short or rude, bare in mind that he probably has already gone through the ringer with scammers, dead beats and flakes. Be understanding and you may even get a better deal because the seller is just so tired of the CL crap, I've let things go for cheaper then I wanted to just to stop the torture. There have been a few times where I pulled ad for a week or two because of the bs and when I repost it sells right off the bat with a great buyer.

You may think that CL is full of scammers but I think buyers, as a whole, get the better end of the stick.

Last edited by gedster314; 12-27-2011 at 11:22 AM.
gedster314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 02:52 AM   #18
UALOneKPlus
Cellular Guru
- Contributor -

Phone: Treo650
SU$: 5,427
I don't mind buying / selling on Craigslist.

Here's what I'd add:

1. Research the phone very carefully online first!! Check it out in person at the store too if you can.
2. Watch "unboxing videos" of the phones online so you know what ought to be included with the phone / box.
3. Meet the seller at a public place. Verify contents of the phone / box, etc.
4. On the phone, dial ##786# to verify it is not reconditioned if it is advertised as "new", and it will show when activated, minutes used, etc.
5. Call Sprint, activate the phone on your line. Make a test phone call.
6. If all goes well, pay the seller the cash on the spot.

I keep the Craigslist phone activated on my line for at least a month or so before switching to another phone, to make sure no one else can try to yank the ESN onto another phone or account.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #19
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 12,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by UALOneKPlus View Post
I don't mind buying / selling on Craigslist.

Here's what I'd add:

1. Research the phone very carefully online first!! Check it out in person at the store too if you can.
2. Watch "unboxing videos" of the phones online so you know what ought to be included with the phone / box.
3. Meet the seller at a public place. Verify contents of the phone / box, etc.
4. On the phone, dial ##786# to verify it is not reconditioned if it is advertised as "new", and it will show when activated, minutes used, etc.
5. Call Sprint, activate the phone on your line. Make a test phone call.
6. If all goes well, pay the seller the cash on the spot.

I keep the Craigslist phone activated on my line for at least a month or so before switching to another phone, to make sure no one else can try to yank the ESN onto another phone or account.
Good points.

I recently purchased a phone for my wife after seeing an ad on Craigslist. The phone was advertised as "brand new," "still in the box" and "never used."

When I arrived, it was in good shape, but I saw a few very minor scratches. I was talking with the guy and told him that I have a friend from the same area of India where he was raised.

I turned on the phone, did the ##786#, and learned that he had made several hundred calls on the phone. At first, he tried to insist that it "must be some mistake." Then, I looked through the phone and found photos that the guy took at home and even at work (he works for Yahoo).

I offered him $10 less for the phone and he sheepishly agreed.

Now, he thought that I was going to simply walk away, but I immediately pulled out the laptop and activated the phone. I had already called Sprint, told them that I was going to buy a used phone, asked them to verify the ESN and asked if there was anything else that I needed to do to prevent any problems. I also had them notate the account.

I have sold several phones on Craigslist, but I have only purchased three. So far, everything has worked out!

Good luck!

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
acunn1
Cordless Phone User

Phone: HTC EVO 4G
Trades: 2
SU$: 10,795
I at least get the esn from the seller and check with sprint first. If the seller doesn't want to give me the esn, I say thanks but no thanks.

Proud to also be a Vet.
acunn1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:24 PM   #21
variablebinary
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Lurking
Phone: iPhone 5S AT&T
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 12,462
Meet at a sprint store and activate there.
Sprint Touchpoint, Kyocera KWC 2235 (Verizon), Samsung N400, Samsung A920, Palm Centro, HTC Touch Pro, HTC Hero, Samsung Nexus S, Galaxy SII E4GT, Galaxy SII (AT&T), iPhone 4S (AT&T), iPhone 5 (AT&T), Samsung Galaxy S4 (AT&T), iPhone 5S (AT&T)

Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
variablebinary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #22
parrott84
iPhone 4s until ICS...

Phone: iPhone 4s
Trades: 4
SU$: 3,027
Send a message via AIM to parrott84 Send a message via Yahoo to parrott84 Send a message via Skype™ to parrott84
I buy and sell on Craigslist all the time. I average over 30 transactions a month since it's my full time gig. I don't know that I have been scammed ever, but I have learned a thing or two about what to look for in phones. I use to worry about bad esns all the time, but now as long as they are sprint phones and they aren't lost or stolen I can get them cleaned, so I buy them all. I don't usually meet at cell phone stores because you can just call Sprint on your phone and activate it that way, most of the time the stores aren't very close to where I am located. The other thing is that 95% of phones I buy are to resell, so I am not putting them on my account.

Check out my new site: http://www.squawktalkwireless.com/
parrott84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 10:39 PM   #23
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 21,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by parrott84
I buy and sell on Craigslist all the time. I average over 30 transactions a month since it's my full time gig. I don't know that I have been scammed ever, but I have learned a thing or two about what to look for in phones. I use to worry about bad esns all the time, but now as long as they are sprint phones and they aren't lost or stolen I can get them cleaned, so I buy them all. I don't usually meet at cell phone stores because you can just call Sprint on your phone and activate it that way, most of the time the stores aren't very close to where I am located. The other thing is that 95% of phones I buy are to resell, so I am not putting them on my account.
How do you get them cleaned?
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #24
kg4icg
Walkie Talkie User

SU$: 2,684
Last time I bought a phone on Craigslist, I had the person meet me at the Sprint store near his home in Manassas, Va. we went inside, had it activated on my account with no problems, and I paid him what we agreed to before the transaction at the store. He even thru in extras he had for the phone as a bonus. It went buttery smooth, and now and then I call him to find out what else he has. sellers with nothing to hide are always going to be in a cooperative manner because things go smoothly that way. Unless you actually know the person you are buying from. Never take things for granted. Con artist are in abundance these days.
kg4icg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:07 AM   #25
parrott84
iPhone 4s until ICS...

Phone: iPhone 4s
Trades: 4
SU$: 3,027
Send a message via AIM to parrott84 Send a message via Yahoo to parrott84 Send a message via Skype™ to parrott84
Quote:
Originally Posted by KB112 View Post
How do you get them cleaned?
There is a process that I have to go through, but it works. PM me if you need help with one.

Check out my new site: http://www.squawktalkwireless.com/
parrott84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:06 AM   #26
thor_molecules
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 35
good info in this thread, thanks guys
thor_molecules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 06:20 AM   #27
scb175
Telegraph User

SU$: 206
Tell him to post it on Ebay and then you buy it immediately. That way if something is wrong, Ebay police will take care of it.
scb175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 09:03 PM   #28
vancomycin
Telegraph User

Phone: Photon 4G
SU$: 943
Thanks for sharing these points - would you happen to have a sample of an agreement we can use in such a case? Or something that you can link us to as an example? How did you convince them on signing the papers in the first place?
vancomycin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:12 AM   #29
SawThoseHornsOff
i dare u

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: iPhone4S & NXS7
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedster314 View Post
As a seller, never give out the meid/esn! Especially if the phone is not currently activated. Changing meids/esn numbers is still too easy.

Kind of a drag but yes meet at a store and have them activate before you exchange the cash. Doesn't hurt to ask for the esn and check it but who is to say the number they give you to check is that of the phone they are selling.
VERY true. If the ESN is free and clear to activate, whoever you provide the ESN could attach it to their line without your consent, and even make a fraudulent insurance claim, adding the ESN you possess to the bad list.

ALWAYS meet them in a sprint store. The rep can activate the device for you, give the device a quick once over to make sure everything is as it should be (no liquid damage, etc), and even transfer contacts from your old phone if you don't use google sync. They will NOT charge you and activation fee. The only way a fee is generated is if the rep SELLS you the device and ACTIVATES it in the same transaction.
Phones Carried Of Note -Blackberry 8130 Pearl -Blackberry 8330 Curve -Blackberry 9630 Tour -Blackberry 9650 Bold -HTC Mogul -HTC Touch Pro -HTC Hero -HTC EVO 4G -HTC EVO shift 4G -HTC Arrive - Evo 4G LTE - Samsung Epic 4G -Samsung Epic 4G Touch (GS2) -Nexus S 4G - iPhone 4S - iPhone 5 - HTC ONE (BLACK)

Tablets - Samsung Galaxy Tab (Sprint), Apple iPad2, ASUS Nexus 7 - iPad Mini (Sprint)
SawThoseHornsOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > I am thinking of buying a phone off craigslist advice on how not to get scammed?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: