Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 4.43 average. Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 04:51 PM   #511
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameaddict8
We hope this is a helpful change that makes your monthly bill even easier to understand.
Oh, man. I kind of threw up in my mouth a little bit. So wrong.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #512
JeffDTD
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Samsung EPIC
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 18,855
Send a message via AIM to JeffDTD
Wait.... i thought lumping everything together to get rid of legacy plan pricing already made it so "easy to understand". I realize the general public is slow, but calling this helpful is equally idiotic. It will make sense again when we are allowed to buy what we need, imo, instead of too much

JeffDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 10:29 PM   #513
SawThoseHornsOff
i dare u

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: iPhone4S & NXS7
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 1,932
technically that is not a lie....the invoice amount is not changing. The discount is.
Still shady wording, no doubt....sounds like everything else in the business/political world.....and that's a shame
Phones Carried Of Note -Blackberry 8130 Pearl -Blackberry 8330 Curve -Blackberry 9630 Tour -Blackberry 9650 Bold -HTC Mogul -HTC Touch Pro -HTC Hero -HTC EVO 4G -HTC EVO shift 4G -HTC Arrive - Evo 4G LTE - Samsung Epic 4G -Samsung Epic 4G Touch (GS2) -Nexus S 4G - iPhone 4S - iPhone 5 - HTC ONE (BLACK)

Tablets - Samsung Galaxy Tab (Sprint), Apple iPad2, ASUS Nexus 7 - iPad Mini (Sprint)
SawThoseHornsOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 PM   #514
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 28,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffDTD View Post
Wait.... i thought lumping everything together to get rid of legacy plan pricing already made it so "easy to understand". I realize the general public is slow, but calling this helpful is equally idiotic. It will make sense again when we are allowed to buy what we need, imo, instead of too much
It's all part of the training course at Sprint, Feeding Your Customers Ridiculous BS 101. "Yes, sir...charging you more actually makes things easier for you." "Yes, ma'am...this plan costs 3x more than what you were paying, but it includes 10x the junk that you didn't need or want, so it actually makes things easier for you." "Actually, removing the features that we used to sell you this overpriced plan to begin with will make things easier for you."
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:08 PM   #515
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 13,375
Okay, I was on the phone with Sprint tonight to cancel one of our lines.

I wasn't offered any retention to keep the line; however, I did explain that this was a brother-in-law who already created his own Sprint plan. The Account Services exec offered me $50 credit because of the headache of being told by the store employees that we couldn't transfer the line/phone number to a new Sprint account.

However, I had questions about my bill having gone up $25+ from last month. I do understand that $20 is from the $20/24 credit that we just ended. However, we couldn't account for the other $5+ on our account.

I was told by the Account Services rep that my bill online is NOT the bill that I paid yesterday. In other words, I won't be able to see the actual bill that was due until NEXT cycle. It doesn't make sense that I am charged for something that I can't even inspect to see if the charges are correct.

Regardless, I asked her why my bill went up by $25+ instead of just $20. She said that it was due to the "NVP changes." I explained that on our plan, the 1st line (base) is now $100 and the 2nd line is just $9.99. Thus, our 15% discount loss on that line should only result in a $1.50 increase. We never could reach an understanding as to why this happened, although she has tried to explain that the way that Sprint is doing the math, our bill went up by $5 simply because we lost the 15% discount on a $9.99 second line.

It was frustrating (to say the least) because she said that our bill on the website is from LAST month and that she has access to the bill that I just paid. She explained that, when we see it, it will explain everything.

I then said that it is wrong to make a bill due by a certain date when we can't even view the bill for that period until AFTER the payment is due. She agreed.

I then explained that I didn't want to wait for the bill, because I can get out ETF free. I wanted to know for certain how this was being assessed, and that we leave Sprint ETF-free because of this change (although we only have a contract on one line out of our remaining five).

She then told me two things that puzzled me:

1. That this change in terms was NOT something that anyone can leave ETF free because Sprint can change those things at any time. I explained that this was untrue, because Sprint must uphold their CONTRACT and that this is a change in substance of that contract by dividing lines. She was adament that NO ONE can leave Sprint ETF-free because of this change. When I insisted that individuals from this website have done so -- including some people that I know in the real world -- she told me that I have been "misinformed."

2. She then told me that our plan was still under contract until 2013. Now, all of our lines are marked as "contract-fulfilled" except for one. That contract will be completed (according to the website) within a few months. However, she is saying that MY line -- which has been eligible for an upgrade since last September -- is under contract until August 2013. She tried to say that we had upgraded to a new phone under this line last March and that this phone had been switched to another line, but this was simply untrue. The only line under contract is the one used to purchase that phone...and it is out of contract in a few months. I was offered no other explanation.

This is VERY frustrating.

For one, we are told that we cannot leave ETF-free because this isn't a "material" or "substantial" change and I was told that our contract states that Sprint can change our contract at any time. This is nonsense, and I felt bad that the Account Services rep might actually believe it.

Secondly, I am told that I cannot see our bill BEFORE the due date of the payment? Since when has this been normal with Sprint?

Finally, I am told that I will be under contract until late 2013 because of a phantom upgrade. We know when that phone -- that she quoted -- was purchased. She even had the audacity to tell me that it was because I was "Sprint Gold" -- even though we were no longer Sprint Gold (because they changed it) at the time she claims that we purchased the phone.

I don't fault the phone employees for this mess. This mess was created by upper management. Because of it, I fear that Sprint is digging its own grave right now through a series of unfortunate decisions.

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:45 PM   #516
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Just call back. She obviously had no idea what she was talking about, which is not uncommon for Sprint employees.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #517
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
When you get a bad (or misinformed rep), best thing to do is immediately say thank you, I have pressing matters and will need to call back.

Many times reps give bad information and when you try to point that out, they just retrench their position and you get stuck in a war of attritition.

Further they add notes to your account supporting their position in case you complain. They often will say you were belligerent when all you were doing was pointing out the errors in what they told you.

This will lead to a rat-hole of supervisors supporting their underlings and refusing to address your actual issue. In their minds you will be some freeloader trying to game the system and rip Sprint off.

Just tell them thank you for your help, you were helpful, and you will relate that in the survey.

Then call back until you get a rep who actually understands what is up.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:13 PM   #518
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

BTW if you lose a $20 discount, your bill will go up more than $20 because you will get charged taxes on that $20. It will probably go up around $21-$22 because of the loss of discount. That coupled with the NVP discount change could probably account for around $23-$24 of increase.

You have the bills though right? just post the blacked out previous bill and the bill that went up $25 and I'm sure someone here can figure out where it came from and whether it was valid.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:56 PM   #519
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
BTW if you lose a $20 discount, your bill will go up more than $20 because you will get charged taxes on that $20. It will probably go up around $21-$22 because of the loss of discount. That coupled with the NVP discount change could probably account for around $23-$24 of increase.

You have the bills though right? just post the blacked out previous bill and the bill that went up $25 and I'm sure someone here can figure out where it came from and whether it was valid.
Actually, my bill does not reflect the breakup of the base plan (Voice Share 2100) and the subsequent loss of the NVP discount on the newly created second line. My base plan price is $109.99 for the first two lines...and the second line is still listed as having no charge.

I was told that I won't see the bill for the payment that was due until AFTER my next cycle. So, this rep was telling me that I pay my bill BEFORE I can even see my bill.

Is this accurate?

She was saying that my new price reflects the loss of the $20 discount AND the change in terms (that she argued was not a change in terms).

I think that she may have simply been making things up as she went along. After all, the $20 recurring credit was NOT reflected in my bill that I could see via my online account. However, the 15% discount was still being applied to my entire base plan ($109.99) rather than just the $100 that will be after the base plan is broken up.

I will try again...but I don't think that I will hold my breath. Honestly, I would rather have an Account Services person tell me that they didn't know something rather than try and lead me on about it.

*BTW - This rep was able to change ALL of our addresses to our home in California. After about four years of calling, bad explanations and broken promises of "call backs," they were finally able to figure out that they had TWO addresses on our account. This is why we were getting charged taxes for both California and Texas.

It is sad that all of the other reps couldn't figure that out after so many calls. In fact, I have mentioned this issue EVERY time that I have called Sprint over the years since having moved to Northern California. Go figure.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:05 PM   #520
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
I was told that I won't see the bill for the payment that was due until AFTER my next cycle. So, this rep was telling me that I pay my bill BEFORE I can even see my bill.

Is this accurate?
Your bill reflects the recurring payments for next month's service (ie you pay in Jan for Feb service) + previous month(s) one-time charges (overages, LD, etc.)

However, what you are being asked to pay is always detailed in the bill you receive. You are not being asked to pay some future bill. What you are being asked to pay is itemized on the bill you receive.

If would be very odd if you are being asked to pay a number that didn't match the bill you received. Check your bill online.

Sprint has like 2 or 3 addresses for each line. The one used to calculate taxes is set up when you open your accounts and very few reps update it after you move. They often just change the billing address. I forget the term they use for the address used to calculate taxes. There are reps that know to change it though. I got it changed in the past when I used the specific term they use and they looked it up.

Last edited by sfhub; 02-03-2012 at 09:07 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to sfhub For This Useful Post:
ccchhhrrriiisss (02-03-2012)
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 PM   #521
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Your bill reflects the recurring payments for next month's service (ie you pay in Jan for Feb service) + previous month(s) one-time charges (overages, LD, etc.)

However, what you are being asked to pay is always detailed in the bill you receive. You are not being asked to pay some future bill. What you are being asked to pay is itemized on the bill you receive.

If would be very odd if you are being asked to pay a number that didn't match the bill you received. Check your bill online.
That's the point: I did see my bill online. The Account Services rep was trying to tell me that the addition $5+ increase (atop the $20/24 that ended) was because of the changes in terms and how the NVP is applied. However, my bill shows the 15% NVP discount STILL applied to my bill as before.

The Account Services rep was trying to tell me that my online bill is for LAST MONTH'S service and that she could see the "real" current bill. She also said that the changes in terms occurred in January and that is why my bill went up.

I have a feeling that she was just uninformed. I would hate to think that I was being purposely misled.

Quote:
Sprint has like 2 or 3 addresses for each line. The one used to calculate taxes is set up when you open your accounts and very few reps update it after you move. They often just change the billing address. I forget the term they use for the address used to calculate taxes. There are reps that know to change it though. I got it changed in the past when I used the specific term they use and they looked it up.
I understand.

What I don't understand is: I changed our addresses to our current California address about four years ago...and asked repeatedly (nearly every time that I have ever called) about why I was still being charged local Texas taxes. After all of that time, no one could figure it out...until last night.

I have been told on several instances that my account would be audited so that someone could figure it out...and that someone would call me back to explain it. In four years and many promises, no one ever called.

Last edited by ccchhhrrriiisss; 02-04-2012 at 12:12 AM.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:44 AM   #522
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

The rep just made that stuff up to rationalize your price differences.

I remember the terminology now. On the profile for the user there is a billing address and a user address. Billing address is where they send the bills. User address is the Primary Place of Use (PPU) and is what is used to calculate taxes.

If you tell them you want to change the user address/ppu they can eventually ask enough people on their end to figure out what to change.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:37 AM   #523
JesseMiller
Telegraph User

Mood: Stressed
Phone: IPhone 4S
My Mood: Stressed
SU$: 636
I called Sprint and told asked them to release me from my contract due to my 23% discount I have through work. I have the 1500 everything data with two iPhones and a flip phone. Sprint agreed and is willing to release me from my contract due to the change. BUT, they want me to return my two iPhones I just purchased 30 days ago. I said OK, but I would like a refund of $750 for two Apple Care plans, January bill, out of pocket money, I put towards two iPhones, and my two HTC EVO’s I traded in for their buy back program. The woman in Retention said that Sprint cannot refund my money or give me back my two phones. Even if I return my two iPhones and Sprint releases me from my two-year contract, I would be out $750 plus two HTC EVO’s. I filed an official complaint through Washington State Attorney Generals Office of Consumer Protection. Sprint should be receiving a call soon. If Sprint is going to play hardball, I can play back. BTW, for all you Sprint customers who got their contract changed, I would suggest contacting the Attorney Generals office for the state you live in and file a complaint through them. Every state has an Attorney General and some form of consumer protection department. Your tax dollars go towards funding of these departments, so why not use their power to fight the battle for you. It is free of charge and it works. When my old $2,500 Samsung TV went out on me after 2 years, I filed a complaint through my Attorney General and I got a call from Samsung a few weeks later willing to fix my TV.
JesseMiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:04 PM   #524
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

Chris, honestly man, you're just wasting time fretting over what that rep told you. She has no idea what she's talking about. That's not uncommon with Sprint, and like somebody said earlier, the best thing to do when that happens is to just hang up and call back. Trust me, I've wasted a ton of time with the "he said, she said" games, and gotten nothing from it.
Old 02-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #525
micronot
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 51
No ETF fee when Sprint makes a change

SPRINT IS NOT CHARGING ADVERTISED PRICES!

They are still advertising the price at $129.99 for the Family Data Plan, and that it includes the first line. However, what they are billing is $110.00 and they are charging $19.99 for the second line. The price may come out the same, but that is NOT what is being advertised.

So like many of you, this is resulting in an additional $5+ per month on my bill. I called billing about it and they basically said that they made this change and there is nothing you can do about it.

YOU CAN CANCEL WITHOUT EARLY TERMINATION FEE.

Yes, you can cancel within 30 days without having to pay an early termination fee... but they know that if you go shopping for another plan, you still wont find a lower price for the same.

BUT, if you are someone that was looking to get out of your contract without paying the ETF, here is your out. IF you were someone that was not looking to get out anyhow, go ahead and have a look around and unfortunately, you wont likely find a better price, and you will grit your teeth and stick with Sprint. If you should find a better deal, be sure to let us know.

At one time, I was getting a discount on my entire Sprint bill. Then, they changed it so that only charges over $30 got a discount. This resulted in another $7 per month on my bill (I only had the text plan at the time). I had my out then, but could not find a better deal. Now they change it again so you only get the discount on the main line, so yet another $5 a month.

If you want to cancel services at any time, be sure to look at your sprint bill details, in the section "IMPORTANT INFORMATION RELATING TO YOUR SPRINT BILL" on the left side of that page, whenever they make an announcement of change in terms, you can use that as an excuse to cancel within 30 days with no ETF. So, if you don't want to cancel now, they already announced your next "out" on 04/30/2012 they are terminating "Picture Mail Online Storage". Even if you never used it, it is a change in terms of service, and gives you the ability to terminate with no ETF!
micronot is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > sprint changing discounts again 2/2/12

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: