Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 74 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 04:19 PM   #1
xenadu
Telegraph User

Phone: iPhone 4S
SU$: 336
iPhone network update (20-40k/s to 350k/s)

I just tested this on my iPhone 4S so give it a try and see if it works for you. This will update your phone's radio. Supposedly Sprint has been rolling this out to help with the iPhone speed problems. Not sure why but there must be some mismatches between some of the tower configuration and the default radio configuration.

Go to the Phone app
Type in ##873283#
Tap Call. A "Service Update" message will appear, tap OK
It will take about 30 seconds, then "Service Update Complete" will appear. Tap OK.
After about 10-30 seconds the 3G icon will disappear then you will switch to "No Service" as the radio resets.
When the bars and Sprint reappear, your update is done.

I went from average of 44k/sec to 350k/sec immediately (two bars).

Let us know if this helps you
xenadu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xenadu For This Useful Post:
bdever (10-18-2011), Bibbin (10-18-2011), Life (10-18-2011), Remax Realtor (10-18-2011), sprintjames (10-20-2011)
Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #2
bdever
Telephone User

Phone: iPhone 4S 16GB
SU$: 433
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenadu
I just tested this on my iPhone 4S so give it a try and see if it works for you. This will update your phone's radio. Supposedly Sprint has been rolling this out to help with the iPhone speed problems. Not sure why but there must be some mismatches between some of the tower configuration and the default radio configuration.

Go to the Phone app
Type in ##873283#
Tap Call. A "Service Update" message will appear, tap OK
It will take about 30 seconds, then "Service Update Complete" will appear. Tap OK.
After about 10-30 seconds the 3G icon will disappear then you will switch to "No Service" as the radio resets.
When the bars and Sprint reappear, your update is done.

I went from average of 44k/sec to 350k/sec immediately (two bars).

Let us know if this helps you
It worked like a charm! Now at 5 bars from 3.
bdever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,MPCS,S &TMO
SU$: 14,332
Thanks. How's you find out about this? Is this something Sprint will be letting all iPhone users know about?
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
xenadu
Telegraph User

I'm not sure if they will eventually roll this out automatically or what. Granted 350k isn't great but it is better. I figured I wouldn't have great speeds until the Network Vision stuff is rolled out so I'm not too worried.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:09 PM   #5
xenadu
Telegraph User

Well snap, I just tested it again and you would think it would be pretty good this time of night but no luck. Back to 0.04 (40k/s) dial-up speeds. I will check again later tonight and some other areas around the house.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:41 AM   #6
ReggaePoweredDC
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC EVO Shift
SU$: 78
I was getting around 0.4mbps but yesterday I started getting around 1.5mbps. After doing this update it dropped back down to 0.5mbps!
ReggaePoweredDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:32 AM   #7
mddoane
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdever

It worked like a charm! Now at 5 bars from 3.
No change after update but haven't made any calls yet...hoping for better reception @home...
mddoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Just keep in mind, your service can have all these jumps (both up and down) even without updates. In some areas, the service is just very inconsistent. In other areas it is consistent. When the backhaul is exhausted, it is like when you do a speed test at home and someone else in the house is downloading hi-def video. Speed test is slow, but when the video is done a few seconds later, the speed test is fast. Just multiply that effect by all the users connected to your cell tower and sharing the limited backhaul.

BTW the tell tale sign that you are connected to 1x is if your ping times are over 500ms and your data speed is below 100k. I mention this because some Sprint phones change the 1x icon to be 3g so users always think they are connected to 3g.

Also 3g uses separate data login authentication. If that information is not working, it will default to 1x. That is why sometimes when you do a profile update, the speed increases. It is because the profile update fixed the data login.

Sprint also changed their PRL so that 3g roaming with Verizon is disabled. Your phone will roam 1x with Verizon for voice/msgs, but will scan for 3g with Sprint, so even though you think you are connected to Verizon (which you are for 1x services like voice/sms) for data, you are still connected to Sprint. Unfortunately if your area has poor or no Sprint signal (which is usually the trigger for roaming) then you'll essentially be left with just 1x data on Verizon. Sprint still does 3g roaming in some areas with Cricket, Alltel, and US Cellular.

I don't know if iPhone has the ##DEBUG# code, but using that you can tell whether you are connected to 1x or EV, the status of the EV login, and which tower you are connected to.

Last edited by sfhub; 10-19-2011 at 08:20 AM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 10:08 AM   #9
sprint3gsucks
Telegraph User

SU$: 415
Any other experiences with this that members might be able to chime in with?
sprint3gsucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM   #10
sprintjames
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 168
Still, at least I know I can do a service "re-login" to any towers nearby that might do some recalibration of a sort, I've added the code you gave me as a contact number. I was getting the usual 40 mbps in the house (I'm sure it would be higher outside) after I did the update it went to 70 mbps.

People who compare Spring 3g to let's say AT&T/Tmobile (GSM) need to understand that CDMA 3g usually tops out at 70% of what GSM 3g averages out, and Sprint because they are rolling out Iphone, expect that to be 50%. I'm getting an average of .40 mbps of Sprint vs 1 mbps on Tmobile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenadu View Post
Well snap, I just tested it again and you would think it would be pretty good this time of night but no luck. Back to 0.04 (40k/s) dial-up speeds. I will check again later tonight and some other areas around the house.
sprintjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:09 PM   #11
xenadu
Telegraph User

One more report... I was dropping the car off at the shop today and did a quick test. I believe that area is closer to a different tower than my house and I was getting 5 bars. Speed test showed 900K/s to 1.0M/s.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:13 PM   #12
nmherron
S4GRU

Mood: Shocked
Phone: Epic 4G Touch
My Mood: Shocked
SU$: 17,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenadu View Post
One more report... I was dropping the car off at the shop today and did a quick test. I believe that area is closer to a different tower than my house and I was getting 5 bars. Speed test showed 900K/s to 1.0M/s.
Distance is only one factor. I can still get 1MB download speeds from a distant tower with one out of four bars. And this morning, I got 60k download speeds with full bars standing next to a Sprint tower. It's the backhaul at each tower. You just finally got to use a tower with good backhaul (or light usage).

Sprint started upgrading backhaul last summer. They are about one third complete. All should be done in the next 6 to 8 months.
nmherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:18 PM   #13
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,MPCS,S &TMO
SU$: 14,332
Sprint Premium Data
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011-10-21UNREAL.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	42578  
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
nmherron
S4GRU

Mood: Shocked
Phone: Epic 4G Touch
My Mood: Shocked
SU$: 17,814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbin View Post
Sprint Premium Data
Ouch! At first, I was impressed when I saw 11's. Because I thought it was MB. However, I felt really bad for you when I realized it was KB.

It's kind of like seeing an old vet at the subway platform with no legs holding a cup. It makes me feel sad. But instead of throwing change in your cup, I'm wanting to throw some bandwidth in there.
nmherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 02:46 PM   #15
xenadu
Telegraph User

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmherron View Post
Distance is only one factor. I can still get 1MB download speeds from a distant tower with one out of four bars. And this morning, I got 60k download speeds with full bars standing next to a Sprint tower. It's the backhaul at each tower. You just finally got to use a tower with good backhaul (or light usage).

Sprint started upgrading backhaul last summer. They are about one third complete. All should be done in the next 6 to 8 months.

Well the truth is we don't know. Some people over on the official sprint forums say they talked to higher-level techs who admitted there is a problem affecting some towers/areas and that it isn't just backhaul... some sort of issue with the iPhone interacting with the cell radios. Depending on which posts you believe, Sprint/Apple will issue an update at some unknown point in the future.

This is all just speculation really... all that is known is that many users have crappy speeds, Sprint is publicly claiming everything is A-OK, but privately admitting there is a problem to some people.

What I don't understand is the complete lack of communication. This isn't 1998... you can't get away with ignoring the problem. Someone in Sprint PR needs to get a clue that all this talk on forums and social media is having a huge impact on the Sprint brand. Get the story together and get us some answers. Even if it is just needed backhaul upgrades, if they had a website where we could see the towers near us and see that tower's ETA on backhaul upgrades, it would satisfy a lot of people. The lack of information is inexcusable and one that (as a Sprint shareholder) I am very unhappy about.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Apple iOS > iPhone network update (20-40k/s to 350k/s)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: