Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Maxie1935
Hits Rocks With Sticks

Phone: IPhone
Trades: 2
SU$: 759
Unlimited messaging and data (on our network)

I have a friend that was looking into signing up for Sprint service. In doing her research, she saw that there is a little (on our network) added to the unlimited data and messaging description. When she called customer service, she was told that if she is roaming, her text and data will count against her data usage. Data usage, while roaming, is capped at 300KB and that any overage is charged at .20 per message and there is also a charge for the data. Hmmmmmmm.
Maxie1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:05 PM   #2
Maxie1935
Hits Rocks With Sticks

From the website.....

"Voice/Data Usage Limitation: Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to limit throughput speeds, and to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. Prohibited network use rules apply. See in-store materials or sprint.com/termsandconditions for specific prohibited uses."

"Messaging: Includes text, picture and video for domestic messages sent or received. International messages are $0.20 sent or received. SMS voice messages may incur an add'l data charge of $0.03/KB. Text to 3rd parties to participate in promos or other may result in add'l charges."
Old 09-24-2011, 09:06 PM   #3
Maxie1935
Hits Rocks With Sticks

This is troublesome since the people in our area with Sprint service, roam often. The coverage is terrible and Airaves abound. This could all add up very quickly.
Old 09-24-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxie1935 View Post
I have a friend that was looking into signing up for Sprint service. In doing her research, she saw that there is a little (on our network) added to the unlimited data and messaging description. When she called customer service, she was told that if she is roaming, her text and data will count against her data usage. Data usage, while roaming, is capped at 300KB and that any overage is charged at .20 per message and there is also a charge for the data. Hmmmmmmm.
Roaming data usage according to ToS is 300MB or 50% of usage, whichever is less. Reports are they start sending letters after 3 months of overuse.

The text messaging language of "(on our network)" is relatively new and we don't really know what it means right now. I don't think anybody is being charged for texting while roaming or texting to other carriers, but Sprint has a history of sneaking in terms changes but not implementing them until many months later, past the point you could have protested and been let out of your contract.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 11:06 PM   #5
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Sprint has a history of sneaking in terms changes but not implementing them until many months later, past the point you could have protested and been let out of your contract.
Yes, this is a very deliberate and deceitful two-part strategy.

1) At the time of the contract change, Sprint claims that the change is not materially adverse to the customer because he is not actually paying any more than before.

2) Much later, Sprint begins charging, but claims that the charge is permitted by the contract.

Diabolically clever--worthy of the Father of Lies himself.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 12:07 AM   #6
nmherron
S4GRU

Mood: Shocked
Phone: Epic 4G Touch
SU$: 17,814
I roam a lot and often exceed the limit. However, I never have more roaming than Sprint data. In fact my Sprint to Roaming data ratio is approximately 5:1.

I have never received a letter, warning or fee. However, I have never exceed the limit more than 2 months in a row.

But now, it's all for naught. Now that EVDO roaming has been restricted, it is very very difficult to exceed 300MB on 1x data. Last month I used about 200MB of roaming data, and I used it a lot. It was a slow and painful experience.

The fact that we have lost EVDO roaming is the biggest crime here, not the TOS limiting us to 300MB!
nmherron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #7
BZap49
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,409
If you're roaming that much, without it being on purpose, consider yourself lucky to be one of the ones let go from Sprint without ETF. Jump on another carrier and actually be able to use the service you pay for.
BZap49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Unlimited messaging and data (on our network)

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: