Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 09-17-2011, 02:21 PM   #1
RJSinMO
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 3D
SU$: 1,236
I love this MoPho. Those returning for SSG2, good luck

I'm coming from an Epic, and have to say I LOVE this MoPho. Those going returning their Photon to go to the Samsung, good luck, I hated my "SSG1" from day one. Here were my issues, and I can tell some haven't been fixed:

- Cheap feeling
- Keyboard was scratching itself from sliding from day one (never had that problem on my HTC)
- Power button on the side, when you would try to hit it the keyboard would slide. If you planted your finger opposite of it, you were turning the volume up & down. I see the power is still in that location on the SSG2.
- Power cord when in the top, which wasn't really convenient if you wanted to talk on it while it is was plugged in.
- They FINALLY delivered Android 2.2 about the time everyone else was delivering 2.3. 2.3 is still not on it.
- e-mails would frequently not go out. I would have to change the connection (i.e. go from 3g/4g/wifi to another and back) or reboot to get them to go.
- Wifi hotspot while in a 4g area would disconnect momentarily everytime I got a text message or phone call. Sometimes it would get all hung up and not recover.
- Can't turn off geo/location taggging of photos unless you turn off all of the location services on the phone.
- The bulk of it due to the keyboard.

Those saying the SSG2 will have bugs, but they will get worked out, I sure didn't see them move too quickly on my one year with the Epic. The thin size of the SSG2 is tempting, but Samsung blew it with me, and won't get my money again.

So, I just got the MoPho the other day. I did have a rocky start, but this thing is awesome.
- Incredibly fast. Even in 3g, browsing and apps are so much faster. Things like GasBuddy and Facebook open SO much faster and navigate so much faster.
- Speedtests are showing much faster on 4g, sitting the same spot as the Epic. So, either its the better radio or processor, not sure.
- More quality feel overall.
- Things just mostly work.
- Some cool geeky things (like the media player scrolling the lyrics of the song while playing).

My only minor complaints:
- The camera sound can't be turned off
- Was playing media player to my home stereo through bluetooth and seems like the bluetooth is kind of weak, if I touched or moved the phone, it would intermittently cut out. Don't see this when plugged into the headphone jack, so it must be the bluetooth.
- Screen certainly isn't as bright or crisp as Epic, but I probably wouldn't notice if I didn't compare them side by side.
- The ability to turn on/off things like 4g, wifi, gps, etc., are widgets instead of pull-downs from the notification menu. Thus, if you are in an app and want to turn on 4g, you have to go back to the home screen to do that.
- and, I kind of miss the up/down/left/right arrows of the physical keyboard.

Anyway, while my "like" list seems short, it's the lack of serious problems/dislikes, such as those I had with the Epic, that is the key.

And, did I mention, it is fast?

Last edited by RJSinMO; 09-17-2011 at 02:44 PM.
RJSinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RJSinMO For This Useful Post:
DESERPENTOR (09-17-2011), ericdabbs (09-21-2011), mkritzell (09-18-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
hytek369
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Tired
Phone: iPhone5s
My Mood: Tired
SU$: 1,233
Send a message via AIM to hytek369 Send a message via Yahoo to hytek369 Send a message via Skype™ to hytek369
Amen, brother. I also came from the Epic. I eventually sold that for a BB Bold. Loving the Photon so far.
DESERPENTOR (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
JonathanFIUWx
one of the few remaining original SU members

Mood: Asleep
Trades: 1
My Mood: Asleep
SU$: 6,137
did you see phonescoop gave the SGS2 a bad review for 4g, signal and screen dimension

Any comments written by me, are a personal discussion based on my own views, and not that of my employer or anyone outside of this user
PROUD PREMIUM DATA CUSTOMER:
http://www.androidcentral.com/man-wh...s-worth-forums
JonathanFIUWx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonathanFIUWx For This Useful Post:
DESERPENTOR (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:38 PM   #4
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

Phone: DROID TURBO
SU$: 9,380
Yea man Motorola all the way now that Google bought out Moto its ON LIKE WHITE ON RICE!! Its called Samhung because you just hung yourself by buying that crap
hytek369 (09-17-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #5
rdcrds
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: not the fanboy
Trades: 2
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 10,472
Had to check in and LOL at this thread.I mean i tested the Photon for 45 days for sprint and the last few days could not come fast enough.Yes i got the updates and yes i even had to return 1 for another.But i got my Epic touch sgs2 and they are not even close.The screen the response unlocked you name it.I am glad you like your phone but out of all the ones i have had it was by far the dullest ive had owned and was so happy to say goodbye to the pos.

Goodluck with your photon's
rdcrds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rdcrds For This Useful Post:
wase4711 (09-29-2011)
Old 09-17-2011, 10:57 PM   #6
Bibbin
Cellular Phone User

Phone: ATT,HM,S &TMO
SU$: 16,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcrds View Post
Had to check in and LOL at this thread.I mean i tested the Photon for 45 days for sprint and the last few days could not come fast enough.Yes i got the updates and yes i even had to return 1 for another.But i got my Epic touch sgs2 and they are not even close.The screen the response unlocked you name it.I am glad you like your phone but out of all the ones i have had it was by far the dullest ive had owned and was so happy to say goodbye to the pos.

Goodluck with your photon's
Why'd you have to return one for another?
Bibbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2011, 01:15 AM   #7
DESERPENTOR
Droid Boss

Phone: DROID TURBO
SU$: 9,380
Ill pass the samsung wanna be Iphone.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #8
mkritzell
Telephone User

Mood: Worried
Phone: Lg Optimus Zone
My Mood: Worried
SU$: 623
I also had the Epic 4g and I upgraded to the Photon with no regrets. I love my photon so much faster..no complaints here (yet).
mkritzell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mkritzell For This Useful Post:
DESERPENTOR (09-18-2011)
Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM   #9
RJSinMO
Telephone User

Phone: Evo 3D
SU$: 1,236
Okay, it fell from grace a bit yesterday. I was driving around a lot, and the GPS pretty much sucked. Sometimes it would have me in the right place, other times it would have me like a mile or two from where I really was.
RJSinMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 10:14 AM   #10
spauldingmaster
Telegraph User

Phone: MB855
SU$: 578
Odd, GPS has been solid for me from what I noticed. I'll double check later today as I'm running around. Since MR5 and the latest OTA the Photon has been extremely solid for me with no reboots, SOD, etc and great radio signal. Only gripe has been how it changes my setting from "automatic" back to cdma only."

Epic touch looks like a great phone and it's funny to see all the bashing both for and against that phone and the 3D but Sprint really has a solid lineup to offer customers now. Add in the pending iPhone and hopefully they'll rebound from lost subscribers a bit. Just hope the already weak data speeds don't worsen further once the iPhone users hit the network.
spauldingmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #11
sheyllah
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 23
i love my photon and the only problem that i find so far is that if someday i get bored of it its going to be pretty difficult to find something as good and stable as this phone
sheyllah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sheyllah For This Useful Post:
DESERPENTOR (09-21-2011)
Old 09-20-2011, 11:14 PM   #12
Chris Kay
Formerly known as Mr.Lloyd

Mood: Amused
Phone: MyTouch 4G
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 8,908
Yeah but that was the first generation. Have you played with the SGSII? I probably wouldn't recommend it so you'd keep the love for your MoPho.

"You will never be satisfied..."
Chris Kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:50 PM   #13
ericdabbs
Cordless Phone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: MoPho 4G
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 13,069
Yeah not to mention that the SGS2 doesn't have EVDO Rev B support because the Qualcomm QSC6085 modem chip is over 4 years old and only supports Rev A.

If Sprint announces a migration to EVDO Rev B on Oct 7th, that would leave the SGS2 users SOL since they would be stuck to Rev A speeds. Glad the Moto Photon has the Qualcomm MDM6600 which supports both EVDO Rev A and Rev B. I knew at some point those who returned the Moto Photon in search of greener pastures are now regretting it. Samsung disappoints me that they still put a 4 year old modem in their phones. The article below shows the features of the QSC6085 chip in the SGSII phone.

http://russia.qualcomm.com/news/rele...ile_print.html
ericdabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ericdabbs For This Useful Post:
DESERPENTOR (09-26-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
Irishman42
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: HTC Rezound
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 6,129
When will people learn that just because they like a certain phone better than others, doesn't mean it's the same for everyone. From reading around the forums, I don't see a lot of regret from the Touch 4g owners. Different strokes I suppose.
DESERPENTOR (11-15-2011)
Old 09-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #15
DizeasedMunkey
Telegraph User

Phone: HtC EvO
SU$: 376
Still no confirmation sprint will even announce rev b so your point is moot at best until then.

The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the novelty of low price is forgotten
DizeasedMunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Motorola > I love this MoPho. Those returning for SSG2, good luck

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: