Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 07-29-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
eternalized
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
SU$: 289
Touch Pro 2 now required on a new/upgraded plan??

Hello,

I have had the HTC Touch Pro for 3 years approx now, and so far, I've had 2 exchanges for it (I have TEP) and this one was acting weird. So I went to get it checked out by the Tech at the sprint store, and they said my screen was broken, but they didnt have the supplies to get me a new screen, so offered to exchange my phone for a HTC Diamond..

I asked why the Diamond and not the HTC Touch Pro 2, but they said they can't pick and choose and the next in line is the HTC Diamond..
So I just agreed, but after a good half hour, they told me they will give me the Touch Pro 2 as a complimentary upgrade...not sure what happened..maybe they found a touch pro 2 in their stock?? But is it true that the HTC Diamond is next in line if your HTC Touch Pro can't be exchanged for another HTC Touch Pro???

BUT, I could not get the HTC Touch Pro 2 because on their system, it wouldnt let the phone go onto my plan. My plan is a grandfather plan, they said I needed to upgrade my plan for the phone to work. For as long as I remember, I thought HTC Touch Pro 2 was fine on the grandfather plans...am I wrong? When did this change??

Thank you for all your help!
eternalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 12:16 PM   #2

SU$: 0
yep touch pro 2 is one of the phones that requires an everything data +$10 fee.

it changed when they added the $10 fee to all "smartphones"
Old 07-29-2011, 12:22 PM   #3
eternalized
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Touch Pro
SU$: 289
So the only phone I can get now is another touch pro, correct? (If I dont want to change my plan that is...)
eternalized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
Silent Majority
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Moto Admiral
SU$: 3,306
That blows. I have a TP2 on my original SERO plan, no additional charges but I've had it on there since the beginning of the year. So this means that if I switch the TP2 out for another phone and try to switch back to the TP2 I'll have to upgrade?
Old 07-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #5
talon16g
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 43
I have a TP2 on an old plan. I couldn't renew my plan and get another TP2 from Sprint (when they still had them). I confirmed with Sprint that if I acquired another TP2 on my own, I could add it to my grandfathered plan. I just swapped phones because my old one was having issues. I haven't received my bill yet but I'm sure I'll be paying $10 a month extra for "adding a new smart phone."
talon16g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Silent Majority
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Moto Admiral
SU$: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon16g View Post
I have a TP2 on an old plan. I couldn't renew my plan and get another TP2 from Sprint (when they still had them). I confirmed with Sprint that if I acquired another TP2 on my own, I could add it to my grandfathered plan. I just swapped phones because my old one was having issues. I haven't received my bill yet but I'm sure I'll be paying $10 a month extra for "adding a new smart phone."
True, please let us know how it goes/went.
Old 08-04-2011, 04:30 PM   #7
aleet
Telegraph User

Phone: A900
SU$: 303
I am in the same boat. My TP screen gone black. eBay has new TP2 for $175 buy / $81 bid. I am going to put in the bid tomorrow. I have F&F, so they will force me to go Everything plan? That sucks!
aleet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #8
rdcrds
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Bored
Phone: not the fanboy
Trades: 2
My Mood: Bored
SU$: 10,472
No idea what the Mod is talking about or anyone else but i called up account services and said i have a tp2 i just bought off a website used and could i put it on my old F&F plan and not get charged more and they said sure and did so.No idea where this smartphone thing is coming from but if you call account services like i did the tp2 can be added on old outdated lines yet without a problem.
rdcrds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:41 PM   #9
rebelx
Hello Moto

Phone: Note 5
SU$: 6,987
didn't russ' blog say that tp2 was excluded from the additional $10 fee? or was that only for SERO customers?
I am now an exclusive SU shirtholder - 5:42 PM 4/14/08
rebelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 11:06 PM   #10
rdcrds
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelx View Post
didn't russ' blog say that tp2 was excluded from the additional $10 fee? or was that only for SERO customers?

Again it does not matter.The tp2 can be put on any plan you want with no problem.I really have no idea why a Mod would say something that is totally false.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:59 AM   #11
aleet
Telegraph User

well, because I cannot use F&F with new phones, I switched to Virgin Mobile, which as everyone knows it is Sprint anyway. I got the 30% off Virgin Mobile phone deal. Moto Triumph for $209 plus air time card. I told the sales that I will come back next weekend (tax free weekend) to do a return re-purchase. They were not too happy about it, but I told him, if not, I will just buy it next weekend. He then said agree and will see me next weekend.

I used to pay $30 + tax for 500min + free night.
Now I have to pay $40 for 1200min.

I actually use 300day+1500night minutes. So hope this 1200min will work out. Will also setup a ATA SIP phone at home to lower the air minutes.

Tried to use SIPDroid, but 3G reception made it not possible.

So far comparing in combine of (TP on Sprint) vs (Triumph on VM)
- Voice VM seems better.
- Data is much worse on Triumph on VM. (At night Youtube wouldn't even load the search page 5 times out of 8. Web failed 8 out of 10. Then in the morning it got 90% success.)

Note this is a personal observation, meaning it's a sampling of 1.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
tomc585
Cellular Phone User

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 9,882
TP2 isn't a smartphone...it's a Pocket PC
tomc585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 PM   #13
KB112
sIgh-Phone

Mood: Breezy
Phone: iPhone 7 Plus
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 22,277
Well it seems the TP2 is a hit or miss phone, depends on which rep you speak with. It's on the Not Systematically Enforced list I believe. Which means if you call in, a rep may add the $10 smart phone fee to that line. If you add it yourself using the online activation method, you shouldn't necessarily get stuck with the $10 data fee.

Also the Reps are being trained to migrate any/all "SmartPhones" to an Everything Data plan nowadays. So even though it may not be a requirement for a phone such as the TP2, they will try their to get you on the newer plan regardless. Some reps are much more knowledgeable and nicer and can/will get you set up with no issues. Really seems to be luck of the draw for many.
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 08:12 PM   #14
aleet
Telegraph User

I don't want to take the risk buying a TP2 and Sprint might force me to Everything Data.

I now have a VirginMobile Moto Triumph. The phone itself is super nice. Very fast, the feel and style is very nice too. But VirginMobile is horrible. From what I have read online, VirginMobile is only allowed on Sprint towers, while real Sprint account can roam onto Verizon, so in a sense VirginMobile has less coverage.

VM Data is 90% no connection in Youtube, Market, Browser, etc. I also experience call drop and voice is choppy. I am 20min from Boston, so I am not that far from civilization.

Installed OpenSignalmaps and Speedtest. Both get horrible results *IF* it does connect.

When I was with Sprint on TP, I get good data even inside my apartment.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM   #15
rdcrds
Cellular Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleet View Post
I don't want to take the risk buying a TP2 and Sprint might force me to Everything Data.

I now have a VirginMobile Moto Triumph. The phone itself is super nice. Very fast, the feel and style is very nice too. But VirginMobile is horrible. From what I have read online, VirginMobile is only allowed on Sprint towers, while real Sprint account can roam onto Verizon, so in a sense VirginMobile has less coverage.

VM Data is 90% no connection in Youtube, Market, Browser, etc. I also experience call drop and voice is choppy. I am 20min from Boston, so I am not that far from civilization.

Installed OpenSignalmaps and Speedtest. Both get horrible results *IF* it does connect.

When I was with Sprint on TP, I get good data even inside my apartment.

If you read the touch pro 2 can be added without any problem if you call account services.I just had another added yesterday and without a hitch.Why you feel they will make you go up a plan i have no idea but it is clear they will not if you call into account services.There was not 1 problem doing this at all.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Windows Mobile (6.x and earlier) > Touch Pro 2 now required on a new/upgraded plan??

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: