Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-19-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
johnnycr
Telephone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: HTC One
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 622
Send a message via AIM to johnnycr
Target insurance/protection plan

For those who are interested... If you buy your phone at a Target store you can get their warranty for $99. It covers the phone for 2 years and includes two free battery claims so you can get two new batteries for your phone. Also, there is no deductible if you need to get your phone repaired or replaced. The only catch is that accidental damage is not covered. I was told by the Target Mobile employee that I talked to that they'll accept a phone if there's a little damage from normal wear and tear but if it's obviously been dropped or water damaged then you're out of luck. It's not the greatest plan in the world, but it's way cheaper than Sprint's TEP, especially if you consider the fact that they give you two free OEM batteries. Sprint's TEP will be $8/mo soon. That means you pay $96/year (twice as much as Target's insurance), plus you have to play a $100 deductible to get it replaced.

I'm going to be cancelling TEP and buying the Target insurance when I pick up my Evo 3D. Thought I would share what I found out.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
gtplayer
Telegraph User

SU$: 523
Depends on the situation.

Lose your phone or drop it in the lake, you are looking at $400+ for a new phone (or whatever you find on ebay, etc.) with Target's protection. With Sprint TEP, $100 to replace. Smash the screen and need it repaired? Your Target insurance means you're buying a new phone or hunting on ebay, etc. TEP, just $100.

Even without TEP, if something happens to the phone that's not liquid, smashed, or missing, you can get it serviced/replaced for $35 at Sprint. Battery falls under this protection for just the first year with Sprint.

Toss up and a gamble either way. I think most people like having the $100 option to replace liquid damaged, smashed, stolen, lost, etc. phones.
gtplayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
johnnycr
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtplayer View Post
Depends on the situation.

Lose your phone or drop it in the lake, you are looking at $400+ for a new phone (or whatever you find on ebay, etc.) with Target's protection. With Sprint TEP, $100 to replace. Smash the screen and need it repaired? Your Target insurance means you're buying a new phone or hunting on ebay, etc. TEP, just $100.

Even without TEP, if something happens to the phone that's not liquid, smashed, or missing, you can get it serviced/replaced for $35 at Sprint. Battery falls under this protection for just the first year with Sprint.

Toss up and a gamble either way. I think most people like having the $100 option to replace liquid damaged, smashed, stolen, lost, etc. phones.
Yea, but if you own the phone for 2 years then you pay $192 ($8x24mo) BEFORE the $100 deductible. So really, you're going to end up paying $300 for a phone replacement unless you break your phone after one month and cancel TEP for the remaining 23 months that you own the phone.

Consider this. Let's say you bought the Evo 4G last summer for $200. You've had TEP at $7/mo so you've already payed $84. Now, you accidentally break your phone and have to pay the $100 deductible. Now you've payed $184 for one year of TEP plus the replacement deductible. Assuming that you keep TEP for one more year, you're going to pay another $84 on top of that, bringing the total to $268. Considering that you can get an Evo 4G on ebay for less than $268 right now, I call Sprint TEP a rip off. That's just my opinion.
Old 06-19-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
TonyTurboII
Resident Android Expert

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: Epic Touch
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 9,363
Well you know what they say about opinions.....

TEP is hardly a ripoff. It might not be the most economical choice, but definitely not a ripoff. You want to piss and moan about the deductibles or monthly charges? Call Asurion.
TonyTurboII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #5
johnnycr
Telephone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTurboII View Post
Well you know what they say about opinions.....

TEP is hardly a ripoff. It might not be the most economical choice, but definitely not a ripoff. You want to piss and moan about the deductibles or monthly charges? Call Asurion.
Maybe ripoff isn't the best word. But if 2 years of TEP + the deductible costs more than you pay for the phone initially AND costs more than you would pay to just get the same phone used on ebay, then it's certainly not economical. The only way that TEP would actually save you money is if you destroyed your phone within the first 12 months of owning it. For some people that's a serious concern so for them TEP probably makes sense. In 10 years I've never broken a cell phone, so I'll take the risk and cancel TEP.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
brand91
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 21
A cheaper accidental damage plan

Idk if any of you guys have ever purchased a phone from best buy but I think their protection plan on phones is great. On my evo 3D it's either $9.99 a month or I think they said i could pay $170 or $180 up front for the whole two year term and it covers accidental and regular warranty stuff without paying a deductible. I opted for the $9.99 a month, as it will be $180 total I spend over the time from now to upgrade. It's great my friend had to use his best buy protection and they had a new phone in the store in 3 days so I figured I would go that route instead of sprints insurance. Furthermore they gave me half off their buy back program when I got the protection plan and said when I come to get my upgrade I'll be eligible to have my phone purchased back from best buy for $210. Idk if anyone else sees the value in this but I do.
brand91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Total Equipment Protection > Target insurance/protection plan

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: