Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 10:54 AM   #1
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 32,346
Help with Optimus Low Space warning

I bought my Optimus as a tide me over phone until something a lot better comes out this summer like the Evo 3D. And also because my TP2 was driving me insane. Anyways, I like the Optimus overall except for the lack of a flash, notification light, and most importantly the tiny internal memory. It shows a total of 164.9M and free 21.6M. All the apps that can be moved to the SD card are already there and I have done my best to uninstall any apps that I don't use that can't be moved. But it makes it really hard to even download any new apps at all to try out since I keep getting that low space warning message and even unsuccessful updates for apps on the SD card.

How much free space is recommended? 21.6M is only 13% and I have heard that 25% free probably makes things much snappier.

I was thinking of trying this method of creating a partition on my ample SD card for apps. The guide was written for an Optimus V though, so I am not sure if it would work.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...rage-woes.html

I am fairly new to Android, only about two months now. To attempt that method I will have to root my phone on my Mac, so if anyone has a link for an easy tutorial for rooting an Optimus on a Mac I would appreciate it.

I was just curious if anyone else has tried that method above with success. Or if you have some other and hopefully easier ideas to free up more internal memory. I have already deleted all the cache and usual tips. If LG had even given us 256M free instead of the paltry 165M this would be a great little phone.
Old 05-15-2011, 12:40 PM   #2
JM-PDA
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 556
Looking forward to the SU feedback.
One of our otherphones has the exact same issue. All Apps have already been moved to the SD card.

Thanks in advance!
JM-PDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 12:41 PM   #3
stlarenas
Telegraph User

Phone: Palm Centro
SU$: 127
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac
I bought my Optimus as a tide me over phone until something a lot better comes out this summer like the Evo 3D. And also because my TP2 was driving me insane. Anyways, I like the Optimus overall except for the lack of a flash, notification light, and most importantly the tiny internal memory. It shows a total of 164.9M and free 21.6M. All the apps that can be moved to the SD card are already there and I have done my best to uninstall any apps that I don't use that can't be moved. But it makes it really hard to even download any new apps at all to try out since I keep getting that low space warning message and even unsuccessful updates for apps on the SD card.

How much free space is recommended? 21.6M is only 13% and I have heard that 25% free probably makes things much snappier.

I was thinking of trying this method of creating a partition on my ample SD card for apps. The guide was written for an Optimus V though, so I am not sure if it would work.

http://forum.androidcentral.com/opti...rage-woes.html

I am fairly new to Android, only about two months now. To attempt that method I will have to root my phone on my Mac, so if anyone has a link for an easy tutorial for rooting an Optimus on a Mac I would appreciate it.

I was just curious if anyone else has tried that method above with success. Or if you have some other and hopefully easier ideas to free up more internal memory. I have already deleted all the cache and usual tips. If LG had even given us 256M free instead of the paltry 165M this would be a great little phone.
I rooted my Optimus and then could move SSL my apps to the sd card using titanium backup. Haven't had a problem since.

Of course the phone only got better written I got brave enough tho install a custom Rom.

Check out the forums at Android Central. They have tons of info about rooting an Optimus.
stlarenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:03 PM   #4
CxC
Custom Title!!

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Optimus S
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 3,776
I have the opty as well. To be honest, I don't think there is a safe and easy way to improve storage space other than ROOTING.

I went ahead and rooted my phone, and then proceeded to flash to a new rom.

It removes most of the useless crap and gives you ample room for new apps.
So far it's been pretty stable and I enjoy using it. I am using a rom called reborn rom.
CxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #5
stlarenas
Telegraph User

If you root your phone you will be able to move all of your apps to your SD card using titanium backup.

I haven't had the memory problem on my Optimus since I did this. And once I got brave enough to install a custom rom my phone only got better. Faster, longer battery life etc.

Head over to Android Central and read up. They have tons of info on customizing the Optimus. If I can do it so can you...i am no techy.

Read up, go slow, and follow the steps exactly. And reach out to the folks at Android Central if you need help. They know their stuff and seem genuinely happy to help.

For a free phone I feel like I got a bargain!

Good luck!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:28 PM   #6
gwmac
Tricorder user

Ok, so if rooting and installing a new ROM is the best solution I will try that. But I went to android central and there are so many to choose from. Is the Reborn one the current favorite? Any known bugs you have experienced I should be concerned about?

Also, is Windows required for rooting or can this be done on a Mac easily? I know my way around UNIX so I am not afraid of rooting, just want a Mac friendly guide if available.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #7
CxC
Custom Title!!

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Optimus S
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 3,776
I think rooting is very mac friendly. I tried 3 roms and reborn has been the best so far.
I don't have a mac, but I can't see why rooting would not be as easy or even easier, everything is done from the command line.

Good luck.

Edit: http://forum.androidcentral.com/lg-o...works-too.html

Last edited by CxC; 05-15-2011 at 01:34 PM.
CxC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #8
gwmac
Tricorder user

Yeah, it seems to be easy. I even found a video walk through specifically for the Optimus.

http://youtu.be/7abPFRiZ_to

Ok, will root and give Reborn a try after a buy a new micro USB cable. Cat got to my last one.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
stlarenas
Telegraph User

I am running Reborn on mine was well. No complaints here.
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 PM   #10
gwmac
Tricorder user

So my steps will be to #1 root, #2 install titanium and backup #3 install Reborn.

I actually have another 16GB card, in my old HTC TP2. The one in my Optimus is only 8GB. So I will use this as an excuse to go ahead and use the larger card. If I just imaged the 8GB card and copied the contents to the 16GB card after I formatted it with the phone, would that cause any problems?
Old 05-15-2011, 10:28 PM   #11
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 21,203
You'll be totally fine copying the current Optimus card over to the larger card. Before you flash a new ROM, do a Nandroid backup of the stock rom. This way when and if you decide to put it back to stock, you are ready to go. I'm using Dark Tremor A2SD (App to SD) and it involves running certain command lines that let you put all system data, dalvik cache and apps onto the SD card. So the phone see's it as internal memory.

Whats great is that this can all be undone with a simple command and reboot, if you find something running too slow etc. But with the newer Sense 3.0 ROMS coming for the EVO it's almost a necessity. People are having like 80mb left after installing these huge ROMS, before even installing their apps. So I partitioned 1GB for my apps and system data etc. I highly recommend you root, it's so worth it.
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 10:09 AM   #12
dribbs1
Telegraph User

Phone: LG G2
SU$: 716
Send a message via Yahoo to dribbs1 Send a message via Skype™ to dribbs1
How many ID packs do you have loaded?
dribbs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > Help with Optimus Low Space warning

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: