Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-22-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 14,610
My TP2 is suddenly malfunctioning...

Hey guys...

My HTC Touch Pro 2 has been working great. However, today, my wife and I drove up to the Lick Observatory atop Mt. Hamilton in Northern California. I took a photo of one of the telescopes (without a problem). I then used my phone to try and send a text message; but, I received a message that it was unable to be sent.

After the drive back to our house, I noticed that my phone seemed to have frozen up. This happens from time to time, so I didn't think much of it. I simply took out the battery, put it back in, and turned the device back on.

During the boot up, I received a weird message: "The device is unable to boot because you have turned off the device incorrectly or tried to install an application..." This is weird...because I didn't turn off the phone...and I haven't installed an app for a while.

The message tells me to press the Volume Up button to hard reset my device (with the warning that I will lose all information and apps on my phone). Otherwise, I push any other button to continue booting. I choose to do the latter.

I then noticed that "Hands Free Activation" menu is open and I see a message that it is "Contacting network." I have never used hands-free activations. I haven't even used a blue tooth on this particular phone (yet).

Does anyone have a recommendation? The phone is now virtually frozen. I can receive calls...sometimes...which seems to unfreeze the device for a few minutes. Otherwise, the device is a frozen. Each time I take the battery out, I receive that same "hard reset" message.

This is a problem because I haven't done anything differently with my phone. I worry about calling Sprint Tech Support because I haven't had much luck with them in the past. I do NOT want to hard reset and lose all of the apps that I have purchased...or even the free ones that I have downloaded.

Any suggestions?

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:41 AM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Sounds like you are out of internal memory. Are you saving pics to the internal memory by any chance?
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:59 AM   #3
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
Sounds like you are out of internal memory. Are you saving pics to the internal memory by any chance?
No, I save all of my pics on the 32 GB MicroSD card. Since I purchased the larger MicroSD, nearly all of my apps are saved on it too.

I really don't have many apps either. In fact, I just tried to delete two of them (it never stops "deleting" the program...it just keeps spinning and spinning for a half hour). When I get my wife to call my number, the phone just continues to crawl.

In addition, when my wife sends a text, I hear the incoming text sound...and eventually see the little envelope at top...but the "1" doesn't appear in the text section of the home menu.

It is frustrating...because I didn't do anything differently with my phone today. It would really be disappointing if I had to hard reset a device for no apparent reason.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:18 AM   #4
ccchhhrrriiisss

If I accidentally recorded a video with my phone...where would it be stored?

I suppose that this was a possibility...but I don't know where it would be found on my device.

And why does it keep "contacting network" (under a "Hands Free Activation" page) when rebooting my phone?

Last edited by ccchhhrrriiisss; 04-22-2011 at 01:24 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:23 AM   #5
scott559
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Treo Pro
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
If I accidentally recorded a video with my phone...where would it be stored?

I suppose that this was a possibility...but I don't know where it would be found on my device.

And why does it keep "contacting network" (under a "Hands Free Activation" page) when rebooting my phone?
Chris, Not sure how similiar your camera setup is to my Treo Pro, Turn on camera, Hit left arrow button at bottom of screen, Should access video/photos.
scott559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 02:48 AM   #6
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott559 View Post
Chris, Not sure how similiar your camera setup is to my Treo Pro, Turn on camera, Hit left arrow button at bottom of screen, Should access video/photos.
My TP2 came with Windows 6.5. Unfortunately, some of the Tech Support guys at Sprint continue to use the guide for 6.1.

Old 04-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #7
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
I then noticed that "Hands Free Activation" menu is open and I see a message that it is "Contacting network." I have never used hands-free activations. I haven't even used a blue tooth on this particular phone (yet).
Hands Free Activation isn't about your bluetooth hands free headset.

It is about entering the MSN and MSID into your phone without you needing to do it manually. It is what happens to your phone when you first provision it.

I think your phone got corrupted somehow, possibly the NVRAM.
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfhub View Post
Hands Free Activation isn't about your bluetooth hands free headset.

It is about entering the MSN and MSID into your phone without you needing to do it manually. It is what happens to your phone when you first provision it.

I think your phone got corrupted somehow, possibly the NVRAM.
After tinkering with it, attempting to update the Profile and PRL, etc... my phone is working. I can play a game (like Peggle, solitaire, etc...), and my info is still saved in those games.

However, the is EXTREMELY sluggish. Also, I don't see ANY data working on the phone. In addition, I can't active sync my phone with my computer.

I found other websites where several TP2 users have experienced the same problem. Most of them have experiences similar to my own...where the phone just suddenly begins having problems.

If I could trace it to anything, it seems that the phone may have tried to update yesterday while I was driving up the mountain...and then lost signal during the trip. I had soft reset the device (removing the battery) and this is when I noticed the issues.

If it still has problems, I will probably call Sprint Tech Support. Unfortunately, I have to tell them that I have Windows 6.5 and many of the Tech Support crew still use the Windows 6.1 books...and the instructions are quite different.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:01 PM   #9
ccchhhrrriiisss

Right now, I am extremely FRUSTRATED.

I have spent an hour speaking with three different Tech Support reps...and TWO of them had bad attitudes.

It is times like these that I literally HATE Sprint.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:25 PM   #10
gotok
Telegraph User

Phone: LG Lotus
SU$: 388
My Sprint TP2 running 6.1 has gotten into that same kind of situation with the same error message and option to factory reset. It became so sluggish that it was unusable. The only way out for me was a factory reset and re-installing my apps.
gotok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #11
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Sounds like corruption. Do you use MyPhone to keep your stuff backed up? A reset is needed.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:41 PM   #12
caddychunk
Telegraph User

Phone: HTC TP2
SU$: 139
Had the same thing happen to my phone about three days ago. Had to do a hard reset and everything works fine now. Pain in the butt, but it's all better.

Had the whole hands free activation thing going and my phone wouldn't work, same as you. Hard reset in in order.
Old 04-22-2011, 11:15 PM   #13
ccchhhrrriiisss

Thanks.

Yeah, I ended up with a hard reset. I ended up losing all of my contact, data and programs.

Of course, this only came after a wasted day and a wild goose chase that I was sent on by Sprint.

Read all about it HERE.

http://www.sprintusers.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=219229

Old 04-23-2011, 02:06 AM   #14
KB112
sIgh-Phone

Mood: Breezy
Phone: iPhone 7 Plus
My Mood: Breezy
SU$: 22,277
I'd give this a shot before the Hands Free Activation bug strikes again. Happened to me on a family vacation in the woods of Big Sur. Took 2-3 days for my phone to act right again.

http://www.hchb.com/downloads/TP2Fix.htm
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KB112 For This Useful Post:
ccchhhrrriiisss (04-23-2011)
Old 04-23-2011, 03:16 AM   #15
sfhub
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 25,208
Hah, so the problem is actually with the Sprint DM library (SprintDM_DMClientLib.dll)? And they put ccchhhrrriiisss through that huge fiasco?
sfhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Windows Phone > Windows Mobile (6.x and earlier) > My TP2 is suddenly malfunctioning...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: