Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung A900M
SU$: 4,671
Force roaming only?

Sprint service is pretty bad where I work, but we have Verizon and ATT towers sitting right outside the front door. Unfortunately, it almost never shifts to roaming because the sprint signal is just good enough to lock on. Is there any way to get the phone to force roaming?
cookeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Found it. I am looking forward to giving this a try tomorrow. I know that I'll only be able to roam at 1x. But it's better than 0x

http://www.appbrain.com/app/com.vuvuzela.roamcontrol
Old 04-19-2011, 06:31 PM   #3
BrettW
┻━┻︵ \(□)/ ︵ ┻━┻

Mood: Cynical
Phone: Tmo M8 & Flex
Trades: 33
SU$: 13,283
yep evdo roaming doesnt exist currently but may in the future thanks to the FCC mandate that passed
Old 04-19-2011, 06:36 PM   #4
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

At least I'll have some form of service. Right now I get exactly nothing. Every once in a while a text message makes it to my phone, but that's it. Now I'll have internet browsing and stuff, even if it is slow. Well worth the few bucks.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #5
heavyd
Like A Boss!

Mood: Goofy
Phone: Sammy SG3
Trades: 20
SU$: 37,027
I hope that it works for you. I have that, but could only make calls with it. All incoming call went straight to vm. Developer was cool thogh. Gave me a refund way past the deadline, because I was willing to try different things
Old 04-19-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heavyd View Post
I hope that it works for you. I have that, but could only make calls with it. All incoming call went straight to vm. Developer was cool thogh. Gave me a refund way past the deadline, because I was willing to try different things
I usually don't make calls on my phone, and nobody except my wife has my number. I just want the internet...
Old 04-19-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: 4S ordered
Trades: 5
SU$: 31,956
I use Roam Control and can certainly roam in 3G and have been able to every since I got the app a couple months ago. I have roamed, well, lets just say a lot. Occationally I won't be able to but 95% of the time 3G roaming works just fine.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I use Roam Control and can certainly roam in 3G and have been able to every since I got the app a couple months ago. I have roamed, well, lets just say a lot. Occationally I won't be able to but 95% of the time 3G roaming works just fine.
No kidding? Well here's hoping that I have the same results.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #9
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeys View Post
No kidding? Well here's hoping that I have the same results.
Nope no kidding. Verizon tends to be 2x-4x faster on average in my area. I compare using my phone so I don't have to worry about an variations in that respect. That's why I am switching, the speed difference is real and felt.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
andre141
A Happy Verizon Customer since 10/14/11

Mood: Chatty
Phone: iPhone 5S
Trades: 11
SU$: 28,250
EVDO roam does exist and is very possible. If you are in a former Alltel/now Verizon service area, you will be able to roam in VZW's EVDO. Alltel and Sprint had a reciprocal EVDO roaming agreement, and Verizon is obligated to continue honoring that agreement until it expires.

I do use it all the time using roam control. It works great!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 PM   #11
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
Nope no kidding. Verizon tends to be 2x-4x faster on average in my area. I compare using my phone so I don't have to worry about an variations in that respect. That's why I am switching, the speed difference is real and felt.
You're switching from Sprint to Verizon? What phone are you picking up when you switch? I have numerous coworkers on Verizon, and they all swear by it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andre141 View Post
EVDO roam does exist and is very possible. If you are in a former Alltel/now Verizon service area, you will be able to roam in VZW's EVDO. Alltel and Sprint had a reciprocal EVDO roaming agreement, and Verizon is obligated to continue honoring that agreement until it expires.

I do use it all the time using roam control. It works great!
I just set Roam Control to Roam Only from home here, just to see how it worked. It hooked me up to a US Cellular tower. I was getting 1X. Speeds better than dialup, but not by much. I used to be a US Cellular subscriber before Sprint. They sucked back then. Not sure about now... I wish that I could specify which provider it used. Well I have a big Verizon tower right outside of where I work. Hopefully it will pick that.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
KB112
Currently G'd up

Mood: Breezy
Phone: LG G2
SU$: 21,087
Since you're rooted now, download and install the EPST from the 2.1 EVO release. Follow the How To thread at XDA. You will have to push the EPST to your phone. This will allow you to load Verizon PRL's on your EVO and roam data in 3G on Verizon's network. I do this at work because I get a crappy signal there. I get 2 bars of service and shoddy d/l of 200kbps on Sprint, but on the Verizon PRL I get 2-3 bars and 800kbps-1400kbps.
KB112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 09:51 PM   #13
boomhower
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookeys View Post
You're switching from Sprint to Verizon? What phone are you picking up when you switch? I have numerous coworkers on Verizon, and they all swear by it.
I have no idea. I picked up a Droid 1 for dirt cheap and likely will use that for a while. I would like to try an iPhone but I don't know if I can go back to a screen that small. Droid X is out due to the locked boot loader. Droid 2 isn't enough of an upgrade of the Droid 1 to lock into it for two years. The Fascinate is typical POS Samsung. I don't have LTE here so the Thunderbolt isn't worth $250 to me. The Bionic intrigues me the most if it ever comes out.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 AM   #14
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB112 View Post
Since you're rooted now, download and install the EPST from the 2.1 EVO release. Follow the How To thread at XDA. You will have to push the EPST to your phone. This will allow you to load Verizon PRL's on your EVO and roam data in 3G on Verizon's network. I do this at work because I get a crappy signal there. I get 2 bars of service and shoddy d/l of 200kbps on Sprint, but on the Verizon PRL I get 2-3 bars and 800kbps-1400kbps.
Is this the link that I need?
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=696073
Old 04-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #15
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

I checked out the thread that I listed in the post above. I'm able to get the PRL file, but when I click on the link for the APK file needed to modify the PRL, all I get is some generic webpage.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > Force roaming only?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: