Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 03-09-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
scott559
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Treo Pro
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 2,527
Coach Tressel/OSU

So how hard does the NCAA come down on Coach Tressel? Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State lost a full season for lying/misleading the NCAA, Do they treat a prominent head coach the same way?
scott559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #2
tool2269
Rocket Surgeon

Mood: Sneaky
Phone: Galaxy S5
My Mood: Sneaky
SU$: 18,797
Send a message via AIM to tool2269 Send a message via Yahoo to tool2269
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott559 View Post
So how hard does the NCAA come down on Coach Tressel? Dez Bryant from Oklahoma State lost a full season for lying/misleading the NCAA, Do they treat a prominent head coach the same way?
he should receive similar treatment, but considering his race.. i doubt it. yes i played the race card. UNO!
Old 04-29-2011, 02:37 PM   #3
jakeledel
Telegraph User

SU$: 87
Tressel has been so perfect throughout his whole career! It's not his fault all the players are idiots. He shouldn't have hid it but at least he finally fessed up. I'm sure there's a lot more crap out there that we don't know about other coaches....yet.
jakeledel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:20 PM   #4
tool2269
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeledel View Post
Tressel has been so perfect throughout his whole career! It's not his fault all the players are idiots. He shouldn't have hid it but at least he finally fessed up. I'm sure there's a lot more crap out there that we don't know about other coaches....yet.
Finally fessed up? he would have never fessed up had he not got called out on the emails.

I'm sure theres alot more 'crap' about him that we 'dont know about.' at least the other coaches who haven't been 'caught' can be given the benefit of the doubt. Tressel, not so much IMO. We'll see what the NCAA has to say about how far the rabbit hole takes them.

Maybe Urban Myer will take over..
Old 04-29-2011, 04:29 PM   #5
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Mood: Amazed
Phone: Note 40
Trades: 10
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 189,328
I don't know about the Dez Bryant issue but every case is different. Being a Buckeye fan it seems this is the never ending story. I just want it to be over one way or another. It's kinda funny how ESPN says breaking news about OSU and then they talk about stuff they already said. If this happened somewhere else I doubt they make a stink about it. I know it's basketball but look at Bruce Pearl how many chances did he get? I think for a first time offense (Tressel) a 5 game suspension is enough punishment. It's not like Tressel was cheating. His players sold there stuff which I think shouldn't even be a freaking issue. IMO

Last edited by tbakergobuck; 04-29-2011 at 04:32 PM.
tbakergobuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
Ceasare
Telegraph User

SU$: 141
An overrated coach, conference and program, protected due to its financial worth. If it was shut down no one would miss it. Go SEC! Seriously, they should be punished.
Ceasare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:57 PM   #7
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Typical Ohio State hater and that's your first post. Hi Josh. It doesn't matter what conference your in it's hard to win 6 straight conference championships in a row. Tressel has proven that he's a good coach. I think every coach in college football has probably lied one time or another but they just haven't been caught yet. Not saying it's right but just saying... I think Tressel wanted to tell the truth but for whatever reason he didn't.

National Media's Response to Recent Tressel Information Resembles a Witch Hunt
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...s-a-witch-hunt

Jim Tressel & Ohio State's Nine Year Run: Where Does It Rank All-Time?
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/5...-rank-all-time

Last edited by tbakergobuck; 04-29-2011 at 06:02 PM.
tbakergobuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
tool2269
Rocket Surgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceasare View Post
An overrated coach, conference and program, protected due to its financial worth. If it was shut down no one would miss it. Go SEC! Seriously, they should be punished.

SEC? really? where ALL the cheating is?

Pot meet kettle.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:55 PM   #9
Ceasare
Telegraph User

Cheating? In the SEC? Nawww! LOL. Point taken.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
GoodyISU1
Telegraph User

SU$: 48
Essentially a slap on the wrist compared to what other less notable schools/coaches would receive. Of course, it's not worse than the blind eye turned to Cam Newton & Auburn
GoodyISU1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:00 AM   #11
Ceasare
Telegraph User

Yes, but OSU plays no one. If one team wins the SEC then they are poised to run the table. Of course, my hyperbole is great, but when OSU defeats an SEC team in a championship game, I will give them more respect. They are very good...just not SEC caliber IMHO
Old 05-02-2011, 01:37 AM   #12
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

I thought when the Buckeyes beat Arkansas in last years bowl game that would shut people up about the SEC crap. Guess I was wrong. Damn haters.

$ent from T-Pain using SU Forum$
Old 05-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #13
scott559
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Treo Pro
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbakergobuck View Post
I don't know about the Dez Bryant issue but every case is different. Being a Buckeye fan it seems this is the never ending story. I just want it to be over one way or another. It's kinda funny how ESPN says breaking news about OSU and then they talk about stuff they already said. If this happened somewhere else I doubt they make a stink about it. I know it's basketball but look at Bruce Pearl how many chances did he get? I think for a first time offense (Tressel) a 5 game suspension is enough punishment. It's not like Tressel was cheating. His players sold there stuff which I think shouldn't even be a freaking issue. IMO
Dez Bryant lied to the NCAA about having dinner with Deion Sanders, In the NCAA's world, Bryant having dinner with Sanders is a violation, If he had told the truth, Likely minor punishment, Instead he said it never happened, It of course did. The NCAA came down hard on him for lying and he missed the entire season.
So IMO no matter how you view Jim Tressel, I don't think it can be disputed that he lied to the NCAA, They set a pretty stern precident with Dez Bryant, I would think they would hold a head coach to a higher standard.
For the record, I am an Iowa guy, Love my Hawkeyes, Don't hate the Bucs at all, I root for all Big 10 teams in the post season. If Tressel ends up losing his job over this, OSU will just find another quality coach and their program will continue to roll on, I have no doubt about that.
scott559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 03:09 PM   #14
tbakergobuck
Tg1rL + Unicorn = Love

Yea at first I was worried about Tress getting fired but like u said they'll be fine either way. Would love a more offensive coach then again defense whens ya Championships.
Old 05-05-2011, 03:56 PM   #15
nohbdyshero
I'm gonna make this pencil dissappear

Mood: Cool
Phone: EVO-lized!
Trades: 2
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 10,954
I just don't think he should have hid it. Coaches get held to a higher as it should be. I mean look at what happened to my Wolverines basketball program, and we all know Steve Fisher hid stuff during the 90's.

I think the wins from last year should be vacated at the least because ineligible players were knowingly used by the coaching staff.

Ok, now just call me a bitter Wolverine fan tbaker...I'm waiting for it......

Hokeamania is coming and there's nothing you can do about it!
http://www.twitter.com/johnclark3
nohbdyshero is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > The SU Lounge > The Arena > Football > Coach Tressel/OSU

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: