Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 4.75 average. Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 01:59 AM   #1
prototype7
Telegraph User

Phone: instinct
SU$: 572
Running out of memory on lg optimus S

So I have a new LG Optimus S... and despite my best efforts I keep running out of internal phone memory and I get this "memory low" warning.
I have moved every app that will let me, to the sd card. Howevwe, there are quite a few apps that wont let me move them. I was wondering what other tricks I could try to stop getting these warnings?
Also, is there any app available that would let me move ANYTHING to the sd card?
I find this EXTREMELY annoying for a brand new phone!
Any help????
prototype7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
KAT
Digital PCS User

Phone: Samsung m610
SU$: 14,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype7
So I have a new LG Optimus S... and despite my best efforts I keep running out of internal phone memory and I get this "memory low" warning.
I have moved every app that will let me, to the sd card. Howevwe, there are quite a few apps that wont let me move them. I was wondering what other tricks I could try to stop getting these warnings?
Also, is there any app available that would let me move ANYTHING to the sd card?
I find this EXTREMELY annoying for a brand new phone!
Any help????
I installed a cache cleaner app and gained about 30/40 MB of internal memory by cleaning cache every now and then. Of course the cache will build again over time but my phone has always had more available memory since using it. When memory starts getting low again, clean again.

Sent from my LS670 using SprintUsers Forum
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #3
gwmac
Tricorder user

Phone: Gold iPhone 5s
SU$: 31,976
I just got an optimus yesterday and am having the same issues. It has an 8GB SD card so this is very frustrating. This is my first android device so I am still on a learning curve. I downloaded 2 Sprint ID's that install a lot of various apps and then some of my own choosing. Like you I moved every app I could to the SD card. It doesn't seem to give you the option to choose where you want to download or install app like WinMo did. It is very frustrating since it warned me I could not even receive text messages.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #4
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Go to SD Card and Phone Storage and report how much internal memory you have. I have seen a few Optimus phones that seem to have memory issues.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #5
redwing_al
Telephone User

Mood: Amused
Phone: Sanyo 7050
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 1,189
good app..

I downloaded Apps 2 SD in the market. haven't had a problem since.. moves apps to your SD card.. works well
redwing_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:29 AM   #6
KAT
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwing_al
I downloaded Apps 2 SD in the market. haven't had a problem since.. moves apps to your SD card.. works well
Yeah but it doesn't move all apps, and it still takes a slice of internal memory when moving the apps you can move to card. With the apps I have installed, I was only able to move aprox 25/30% of them to card, this being stock unrooted phone.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #7
Duffman
Eh.

How many apps do you folks have?

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Make sure you see all apps (not sure if Optimus has the option to just view on SD card, running, etc. Press Menu and hopefully there is an option to sort by size. What's at the top and how much memory is it using?

Also, check available internal phone storage as I posted above. I believe there is 140MB available so how much do you have left? Consider hard resetting and checking again to see if you have a substantial bit of the 140MB available or if there is some problem with your phone. Also, get rid of any ID packs you do not use.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Old 02-17-2011, 12:01 PM   #8
KAT
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duffman
How many apps do you folks have?

Go to Settings > Applications > Manage Applications. Make sure you see all apps (not sure if Optimus has the option to just view on SD card, running, etc. Press Menu and hopefully there is an option to sort by size. What's at the top and how much memory is it using?

Also, check available internal phone storage as I posted above. I believe there is 140MB available so how much do you have left? Consider hard resetting and checking again to see if you have a substantial bit of the 140MB available or if there is some problem with your phone. Also, get rid of any ID packs you do not use.
I have 42 apps installed, which leaves me 62.20 MB's free out of 165 total MB's.

For anybody downloading full ID Packs, they take a good chunk of on board memory. Go to manage apps and delete the individual apps in the packs that you don't want if you can. I downloaded an entire ID pack just for Sprint TV and Sprint Nav. Then I deleted all the rest of the apps that came with the pack I didn't care for, giving me a good chuck of memory back. Personally I don't care much for the whole ID Pack thing to begin with.

Old 02-17-2011, 12:04 PM   #9
gwmac
Tricorder user

I installed just the Clean ID which seems to use the least space. I have managed to do some cleaning and got it under control. But I thought 2.2 finally allowed us to install apps on the SD card, not just some apps but all of them. Why are so few apps able to be moved to the SD card? Anyway, I am still learning my way around.

Duffman, I activated my Optimus yesterday online myself. I have an Airave. My old TP2 which is deactivated is still showing 100% signal strength for my airave but my Optimus is only getting one bar, so is obviously not using the airave. What could be causing this? Already tried resetting Airave.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:51 PM   #10
KAT
Digital PCS User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac
I installed just the Clean ID which seems to use the least space. I have managed to do some cleaning and got it under control. But I thought 2.2 finally allowed us to install apps on the SD card, not just some apps but all of them. Why are so few apps able to be moved to the SD card? Anyway, I am still learning my way around.

Duffman, I activated my Optimus yesterday online myself. I have an Airave. My old TP2 which is deactivated is still showing 100% signal strength for my airave but my Optimus is only getting one bar, so is obviously not using the airave. What could be causing this? Already tried resetting Airave.
Yeah the clean ID is the way to go. As far as all apps to SD, its up to the developers apparently, its how they write the app as to whether its accepted to card or not... why they don't just make them all able to go to card I don't know. You might want to try using Launcher Pro, it gives you up to 7 screens and way more options to customize. Don't know why your Optimus is having reception issues, but maybe its no big thing, most people don't care how many bars show if the phone still operates fine and you get no drops calls. My Optimus gets more bars than my Hero did at home, but the Hero worked just as good as my Optimus, never had dropped calls regardless of how many reception bars showed.

Old 02-17-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
Duffman
Eh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmac View Post
2.2 allows it but the app has to support it. Not all apps do well installed on the SD card. Remember, flash memory is going to be slower than RAM.

Quote:
If you just activated your Optimus, leave the TP2 turned off. You do not want both accessing a tower or the Airave as they have the same programming.

Turn off the TP2 and take out the battery. Turn off the Optimus. Powercycle the Airave. Wait for all green/blue lights. Turn on the Optimus. Dial *99. Does it say you are connected to the Airave?
Old 02-17-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
gwmac
Tricorder user

when I dial *99 it says I am "within airave coverage" I guess I was used used to seeing all bars on the TP2 but Optimus doesn't show them the same. One other quick question, on the TP2 I could hold the talk button and ask for example, "what is my signal strength, and many other useful voice commands. Is that possible to do on the optimus?

I saw the google voice search, but haven't figured out the other voice commands yet. Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #13
dayvedayve
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung M610
SU$: 8,649
Another memory "eater" are your MMS messages. Clean out old ones and keep all messages that you dont need cleaned out and it will give you some extra. I didnt erase any for a while (over 500 total) and I looked one day and noticed my memeory was lower than I was acustomed to. I started clearing MMS/SMSout and gained almost 30mb. One of the culprits was getting an MMS and then forwarding it on. Each forward takes up space on its own.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
Duffman
Eh.

Quote:
when I dial *99 it says I am "within airave coverage" I guess I was used used to seeing all bars on the TP2 but Optimus doesn't show them the same. One other quick question, on the TP2 I could hold the talk button and ask for example, "what is my signal strength, and many other useful voice commands. Is that possible to do on the optimus?

I saw the google voice search, but haven't figured out the other voice commands yet. Thanks
That's a cool feature! Did not know that. I am no handset expert as I work on the network side for the most part.

##DEBUG# will give you a wealth of information. But I do not know what voice commands are available.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #15
Duffman
Eh.

Found a list of commands for voice actions.
o send text to [contact] [message]
o listen to [artist/song/album]
o call [business]
o call [contact]
o send email to [contact] [message]
o go to [website]
o note to self [note]
o navigate to [location/business name]
o directions to [location/business name]
o map of [location]
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
gwmac (02-17-2011)
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > LG > Running out of memory on lg optimus S

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: