Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 02-04-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Dysdiadochodokanestic
Stenotrophomonas maltophilia

Mood: Stressed
Phone: Photon & BB
My Mood: Stressed
SU$: 2,772
Phone upgrade after the new policy of Premium Fee

So I never thought of it before... so say, I have a Dummy Phone and a Smart phone on family plan. Previously, I would use the Dummy phone upgrade and then swap ESNs to put the newly bought smart phone against dummy phone line on the original smart phone line.

Now with the fee, if I buy a new smart phone on the dummy phone line, it will tack the $10 on the dummy phone line because of the upgrade, now if I ESN transfer that phone to another old smartphone line, it will tack another $10 on the old smartphone line as well, because of the new smartphone being activated.

So now end result, I get $20 tacked on both lines. OR is it possible to get the $10 removed from dummy phone line, since it will have dummy phone activated on it again after the whoe ESN swap fiasco ???

Thanks
Dysdiadochodokanestic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:52 PM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Yes. When you put the dummy phone back on it will remove the $10 fee.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
Dysdiadochodokanestic (02-04-2011)
Old 02-04-2011, 01:04 PM   #3
thermophile
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Cynical
Phone: mopho/boldtouch
My Mood: Cynical
SU$: 1,880
Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alamgirian6329 View Post
So I never thought of it before... so say, I have a Dummy Phone and a Smart phone on family plan. Previously, I would use the Dummy phone upgrade and then swap ESNs to put the newly bought smart phone against dummy phone line on the original smart phone line.

Now with the fee, if I buy a new smart phone on the dummy phone line, it will tack the $10 on the dummy phone line because of the upgrade, now if I ESN transfer that phone to another old smartphone line, it will tack another $10 on the old smartphone line as well, because of the new smartphone being activated.

So now end result, I get $20 tacked on both lines. OR is it possible to get the $10 removed from dummy phone line, since it will have dummy phone activated on it again after the whoe ESN swap fiasco ???

Thanks
you will only need to have a 10$ prem. data charge on the PDA line, and not on the feature phone line.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:46 PM   #4
ccchhhrrriiisss
>: 4 8 15 16 23 42

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Galaxy S7 Edge
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 14,610
I have a similar question:

If I were to order a dumbphone (like the Samsung Seek or LG Rumor Touch) from Sprint.com using the upgrade available on a primary line that has an HTC Touch Pro 2, would either of these lines be assessed a $10 recurring monthly fee?

I wouldn't be using anything but the primary line to upgrade for the new phone itself, right? I would activate the dumbphone on a different line via the website...and the ESN of the TP2 would be a non-factor, right?

ccchhhrrriiisss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:25 AM   #5
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccchhhrrriiisss View Post
I have a similar question:

If I were to order a dumbphone (like the Samsung Seek or LG Rumor Touch) from Sprint.com using the upgrade available on a primary line that has an HTC Touch Pro 2, would either of these lines be assessed a $10 recurring monthly fee?

I wouldn't be using anything but the primary line to upgrade for the new phone itself, right? I would activate the dumbphone on a different line via the website...and the ESN of the TP2 would be a non-factor, right?

Anyone?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:01 AM   #6
Big Whiskey
Cordless Phone User

Phone: EVO
SU$: 1,557
Only upon the activation of a targeted smartphone ESN will the fee apply. Swap a dumb phone for a smartphone and the fee hits and vice versa.
ccchhhrrriiisss (02-05-2011)
Old 02-05-2011, 03:03 AM   #7
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Whiskey View Post
Only upon the activation of a targeted smartphone ESN will the fee apply. Swap a dumb phone for a smartphone and the fee hits and vice versa.
So...

If I use my line's (currently with a TP2) upgrade to purchase a Samsung Seek, would I be able to activate the Samsung Seek on a different existing line without being assessed the new $10 recurring fee?

Sorry for the confusion. I just don't know if a "swap" is actually taking place.

Old 02-05-2011, 09:11 AM   #8
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 6
SU$: 21,615
If the seek requires a premium data fee of $10 it doesn't matter how you buy it or on what line you activate it. You'll be assessed that fee.

I don't think the Seek is on the list though. No premium data fee.
rambo47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #9
thermophile
Walkie Talkie User

please god dont buy a seek!
Old 02-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #10
thermophile
Walkie Talkie User

again...

ANDROID
WINDOWS
PALM
BLACKBERRY

will have the fee... if it doesnt run one of those operating systems then you're GTG on no prm. data fee
Old 02-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #11
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
If the seek requires a premium data fee of $10 it doesn't matter how you buy it or on what line you activate it. You'll be assessed that fee.

I don't think the Seek is on the list though. No premium data fee.
Yes, I know that the Samsung Seek or the LG Rumor Touch are NOT on the "smartphone" fee list.

However, I am wondering whether or not I can use my upgrade on my line (that currently has a TP2) to purchase a dumbphone (like the Seek or the LG Rumor Touch) and activate it on a different line WITHOUT swapping the ESN of my TP2.

My line is eligible for an upgrade. If I went to a Sprint store or Best Buy, they would have to swap ESNs so that I could activate my upgrade. I don't want to do that. I want to purchase the phone online (using my primary line upgrade) and then activate it on a different line on our plan.

I just do not want my TP2 to suddenly be assessed a $10 recurring monthly fee.

This is something that we are currently considering. Now, if this didn't work and a $10 recurring fee was pushed on us, it would probably be the deal breaker. Verizon is looking more and more like something that we are considering. In addition, I called Sprint twice -- and received two different answers (*sigh) from two different Customer Service reps.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-05-2011, 01:21 PM   #12
ccchhhrrriiisss

Quote:
Originally Posted by thermophile View Post
please god dont buy a seek!
Why do you say this? Is it a bad phone?

Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Phone upgrade after the new policy of Premium Fee

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: