Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #1
CyByte
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 916
Send a message via ICQ to CyByte Send a message via MSN to CyByte Send a message via Yahoo to CyByte
Question Best Buy 9.99/month insurance clarification

I got my phone from Best Buy and am on their 9.99/month insurance policy. It includes everything except lost phones is what I was told. They said if they can't fix it I get a store credit to get another phone.

Does anyone know if I could pay more money and upgrade to a different phone? They told me I would get 449 or something, because that was the price of the HTC EVO 4G.

It seemed like a better deal if you can upgrade as it's more then Sprint charges. Does anyone know if that includes breakage etc? It's part of their black tie geek squad insurance.
CyByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #2
Cheeko318
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
SU$: 18,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyByte View Post
I got my phone from Best Buy and am on their 9.99/month insurance policy. It includes everything except lost phones is what I was told. They said if they can't fix it I get a store credit to get another phone.

Does anyone know if I could pay more money and upgrade to a different phone? They told me I would get 449 or something, because that was the price of the HTC EVO 4G.

It seemed like a better deal if you can upgrade as it's more then Sprint charges. Does anyone know if that includes breakage etc? It's part of their black tie geek squad insurance.
Well it sure seems like since its only a store credit you can get another phone...However they price their phones high. Even the Evo sells for $599 off contract I believe so idkw they would only give you $449. Probably because that is what Sprint charges.

From all the bad things I have heard about their insurance I don't think I would use it. Esp since Sprint covers loss and is cheaper a month. Granted they also charge a deductible.

Anyway if they are indeed correct and just give you store credit then imo there is nothing stopping you from paying more and getting a different device.

Edit - Also looks like they do not cover water damage or drops from larger then 3 inchs from the ground....Man I <3 insurance companies. But here is a link to someone that can probably answer your question.

http://www.geeksquad.com/protection-...rotection.aspx

Last edited by Cheeko318; 01-26-2011 at 04:20 PM.
Cheeko318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:40 PM   #3
CyByte
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 916
Send a message via ICQ to CyByte Send a message via MSN to CyByte Send a message via Yahoo to CyByte
It doesn't cover drops? Oh crap. Can I switch to the Sprint insurance? They told me it covered everything but loss of the device.
CyByte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:10 PM   #4
dbldwn02
Best Buy Mobile Junkie

Mood: Cool
Phone: rEVOlution
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 4,508
Being and employee who works in mobile, I can answer this question fairly accurately. Your phone WILL be covered for drops or minor water damage. They WILL NOT upgrade your phone. You will get a comparable phone with comparable technology. Most stores don't give the store credit to the customer. They just exchange the phone for the same phone or for a similar one. A blackberry for a blackberry. WINMO for WINMO. Probably not going to get an upgrade. YMMV
Old 01-26-2011, 05:36 PM   #5
Cheeko318
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Galaxy Nexus
SU$: 18,549
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyByte View Post
It doesn't cover drops? Oh crap. Can I switch to the Sprint insurance? They told me it covered everything but loss of the device.
Quote:
What if I dropped my cell phone walking to work?
Ouch! If you have our Advanced Geek Squad Protection Plan with accidental damage from handling coverage, it'll be covered. However, we don't cover units that fall from extreme heights such as decks, balconies and windows.
If you are within 30 days then you can sign up for Sprint insurance. If not then I believe its too late. Squaretrade might be a good choice iirc its within 3 months on purchase but not certain about that.
Cheeko318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 05:38 PM   #6
dayvedayve
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung M610
SU$: 8,649
And replacement would trigger the new $10 Premium Dta fee if you dont already pay it now. Sprint exempts those with Sprints insurance from the upgraded fee when getting replacement thru it.
dayvedayve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 03:30 AM   #7
grrmisfit
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: HTC EVO
SU$: 594
Another problem is they don't declare your phone dead on site. It must be sent off declared dead the you get a replacement or fix.. but this can take up to 2 weeks and they give you a very basic phone to use till then
grrmisfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Best Buy 9.99/month insurance clarification

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: