Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:17 PM   #1
silvergsxr1000
Telegraph User

Mood: Cool
Phone: HTC Evo 3D
My Mood: Cool
SU$: 319
purchased evo shift today

For my wife..its pretty sweet!
silvergsxr1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:20 PM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
Good husband.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
hydra747 (07-06-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 05:23 PM   #3
silvergsxr1000
Telegraph User

Its like a baby evo with a keyboard
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #4
CmptrGuy
Android & iPhone Follower

Phone: iP4, iP5, Evo
SU$: 2,782
How much thicker is it than Evo? I imagine the Evo is thinner, but is there a noticeable difference in chunkiness?

Also, is the keyboard tight when closed? The Epic seemed to have some play that became a bit annoying when I used it.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:22 PM   #5
silvergsxr1000
Telegraph User

CmptrGuy:Its Slightly thicker but not by much..as far as the keyboard it doesn't have any play
The Following User Says Thank You to silvergsxr1000 For This Useful Post:
CmptrGuy (01-08-2011)
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01 PM   #6
Star444
Now with Ting!

Phone: Evo 3D on Ting
Trades: 7
SU$: 9,818
I bought one after work today, and could hardly wait to get home to play with it. It is definitely sweet!
Old 01-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
rilharri
Account Inactive

Mood: Amused
Trades: 2
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 12,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by Star444 View Post
I bought one after work today, and could hardly wait to get home to play with it. It is definitely sweet!
Please do a review if you have time
rilharri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #8
LGRumorDan
Telephone User

Mood: Happy
Phone: Nokia Lumia 521
My Mood: Happy
SU$: 2,480
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergsxr1000 View Post
For my wife..its pretty sweet!
I just got home from Friday night date night and DuffMan beat me what I would say
My wife doesn't know it yet but this is probably going to be the phone she picks out for herself next month...so bring on the reviews. Real reviews...not the ones you read on the shop.sprint.com http://shop.sprint.com/NASApp/online...=ATG:HE:Phones site..."buy this phone" reviews.
She is looking for a touch screen full qwerty slider. Um lets see...since we don't have the Torch and based on some of the other reviews I've been reading hear at SU ... that gives you pretty much 2 choices, Shift or Epic. I'm leaning toward the Shift. Heck I might even like it too.
LGRumorDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #9
Star444
Now with Ting!

Phone: Evo 3D on Ting
Trades: 7
SU$: 9,818
Quote:
Originally Posted by rilharri View Post
Please do a review if you have time
Here's a few initial observations:

- As many have said, the snappy response is wonderful. On my Hero, if I wanted to take a picture of something, by the time I "woke up" the phone, selected the camera app, and waited for the camera app to open, it was often too late to get the picture I wanted. The Shift is quick to "wake up" and once the camera app is selected it opens very quickly. The same quick response applies for all apps.

- I like the capacitive buttons for Home, Menu, Back and Search as opposed to the physical buttons on the Hero. The touch vibrate helps ensure you did press the button.

- I do kind of miss pressing the Menu button twice to wake up the Hero. On the Shift, you can either press the power button on the top, then swipe down to unlock, or, if you open the keyboard it wakes and unlocks it all at once.

- I love the keyboard. It is easy to use and pressing the function key gives you simple access to numbers, special characters, smileys. There is also a dedicted key for ".com" and "@" which is very convenient.

- If you open the keyboard and double-press the function key, you can use the top row of number keys to make a call. Just press the numbers then hit enter. I really wanted this functionality. I've often wondered about how difficult it COULD be to make an emergency call while outside in bright sunlight, perhaps with wet or cold hands. Just trying to "wake up" the phone, then having difficulty seeing the screen and dialing COULD be very trying. Who needs added stress in an emergency situation?

- The screen is very nice. Sharp with vibrant colors.

- I think the screen is a nice size. I would enjoy watching videos and such on the lareger screen of the Evo, but, the amount of time I would spend doing that doesn't justify the extra bulk (for me).

- Even with the keyboard it is only slightly thicker than the Hero. I think it feels larger in my pocket though because of the squared off corners (instead of the rounded corners on the Hero).

- The only time I ever did a speed test on my Hero was when I was at work the other day, so I'll wait until I am at work on Monday to do a speed test on the Shift. (We do not have 4g here so my tests will be with 3g.)

- I love the "Quiet ring on pickup" option that reduces the ring volume as soon as I move the phone. What a great idea.

- When you attach the phone to your pc using the usb cable, a menu comes up that asks whether you want to charge only, mount it as a disk drive, sync, or tether. Cool.

- If you tap the Home key while already on the Home screen, it shows you a thumbnail view of each of the 7 screens so you can jump to a screen without swiping. (Reminds me of the Pre.) If you long press the Home key it shows the most recent apps used.

That's all for now. Life sometimes interrupts my quest to play with my new phone...
Old 01-08-2011, 05:58 PM   #10
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Samsung A900M
SU$: 4,671
My impressions of the evo shift

Hi,

I went down to the Sprint store. They had a demo model that was just going through the activation process when I walked in. I told them that I was interested, but wanted to play with it a bit and see if I liked it.

When I told the saleswoman that I already had an Evo, she said that she'd keep the Evo over the shift, because the shift felt heavy. I didn't think that it felt heavier than the Evo, but it was heavier than it looked. Probably because of the slider keyboard. I set my Evo down on the counter and set the Shift next to it. The shift seemed almost exactly as thick as the Evo The reason I said "almost" is because they looked exactly the same thickness, but I have a case on my Evo. I didn't want to take the case off to measure it exactly. I did slip the Shift in my back pocket to see how it felt. It was a much nicer fit than the Evo. One of the things that I don't like about the Evo is the bulk. I mean that's actually not exactly true. I like the 4.3 inch screen. It's nice. But it's a PITA to carry it around. I am not going to strap the thing to my belt and carry it that way. So I end up putting it in a back pocket or in a jacket pocket. It is too big to carry in my front pocket, where I always used to carry my Centro. My wife loves her Evo, but she just slides that thing in her purse. It's great that she can carry it around that way, but I haven't gotten to the point where I'm willing to carry a purse for the convenience of the Evo.

I've never had a slider keyboard before. But comparing it to the slider on the Epic (and I did compare it), I liked the slider on the Shift better. It felt more solid than the Epic. One of the things that annoyed me about the Epic (and one of the reasons why I chose the Evo over the Epic) was the keyboard always seemed like it wanted to open. Like when taking pictures. I'd go to click the button, and the slider would attempt to open. Something about it just seemed loose. The Shift's keyboard was tight. It wasn't difficult to slide, but it didn't seem like it would just slide open for the hell of it. The keys were nicely spaced. They were a little flatter than I'd think would be good for a slider keyboard, but they were very easy to push. I typed out a few sentences using the slider keyboard, and had no typos. It was surprisingly quick to use.

The screen was better than I expected it to be. Of course it is smaller than the Evo, but it is almost easy to forget that, because it is very well done. Everything was crisp and clear on the screen. I looked at a few pictures that seemed to come on it, and they were nice. I swiped back and forth between the home screens, and it was very responsive to my touch. Much the same as the Evo is. The four buttons look almost the same. Outlined in silver, and they light up when required.

During my research of the Shift, I've seen many people on the internet say that they think it is an ugly phone. I couldn't disagree more. It seems to be dark blue. I actually liked the silver accents on the phone. The border of around the screen seems to be a bit thicker, if that makes any sense. It does not look like this phone will suffer from any screen separation issues. Screen separation is one of the reasons why I am probably going to return my current White Evo (HW 0003) tonight. Between that and light bleed from the lcds at the bottom of the screen, it just seems like too many flaws to put up with in a new phone.

I took a few pictures with the camera, but not enough to really put the camera through its paces. The pictures I did take looked very similar to the ones on my Evo. I understand that the number of megapixels is not the only way to tell the abilities of a camera. The camera on the Shift has 5MP, and only one LED instead of two. The pictures that I took did not fire the flash, so I cannot tell whether it is any good or not. I wish I'd thought to turn it on, so I could see it.

One interesting thing. I went into the Phone Info section in Settings, to check it out. I expected a hardware revision of 0001, because it's a new phone. It had a hardware of 0004. Maybe I was incorrect to assume it would be 0001. Maybe it has all the same or similar guts as the latest Evo?

There were two things that I did not like about it:

1. Whoever decided on the location for the volume rocker should be out of a job. During my ten minutes playing with the phone, I accidentally turned it up and down a few times. The rocker is sensitive, and it's on the left side of the phone. So if I get it, I'm going to have to relearn how to hold the phone.
2. While in the store, the signal meter kept dropping from 5 bars to 3 bars to 0 bars, to 2 bars, to 4 bars, etc... The entire time that this was going on, my Evo kept steady at five bars. I'm not sure if that indicates that there are signal issues with the phone. But IMO, the amount of signal change was unacceptable, especially considering that my Evo displayed none of it. And during the time that I was handling the Shift, I was also handling the Evo. I understand that the antenna can be affected by the phone being held.

So I thought it was a very nice phone. I am really on the fence about whether to exchange the Evo for the Shift, or to try and get a 0004 black Evo.

Hope this helps someone decide if they're interested. If I actually do get it, I'll post more info as I go.
cookeys is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cookeys For This Useful Post:
art_vandelay29 (01-10-2011), forest007 (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 09:12 PM   #11
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

I just got rid of my Evo with the screen separation issues, and got the Shift. Not a bad "little" phone. It is going to take me a bit of time to get used to the smaller screen size.

One question for you. Are your buttons always lit up? On my Evo, the buttons always turned off in brighter light. The Shift always has the buttons lit, no matter how bright the room is. And these buttons are BRIGHT. It's sort of bugging me.

Edit: I was wrong about that. It does turn off the button lights, but the light needs to be very bright to get it to happen. Brighter than the Evo. I just used my wife's Evo as a test along with the Shift. The Evo buttons went off long before the Shift buttons.

Last edited by cookeys; 01-08-2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:24 PM   #12
muddytaco
Two Cans & String User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift
SU$: 192
My thoughts on the Shift after first day

I will throw in my 2 cents.

I have been a HTC Hero since launch, so it been about a year and a half. Before that I was a blackberry user. I picked up the Evo shift today around 2pm and have been on it pretty much since I got it.

What I can say about it so far:

-SPEED! This thing is very fast, I have yet to experience any kind of lagging. Quadrant score showed a number of 1543 compared to my cousin's evo showing a 1176 and my hero failing at 171 lol.

-Screen looks great, many are saying it looks kind of dull but honestly I think it looks good. Its is a tad underlit with auto dim on but if you turn it off you will notice autodim only brings the power up to about half. I would say it turn it up to about 70% it looks just as bright as the Epic or Evo. The screen also looks amazingly sharp, I am sure everybody knows by know it runs the same res. as the epic and EVO but on a overall smaller screen size. Everything seems to really pop on the screen, even small letters are smooth with no pixelation. Its also very responsive, no lag or delay as you scroll through the menus or webpages.

-Battery life seems extremely good right now. That is the big thing that held me back from upgrading to Epic and Evo, I didn't want to run a bunch of special settings or do some stupid airplane mode trick to get atleast a full day out of my battery. Battery meter at the top looked to be about half full out of the box, I installed a battery meter off the market just before charging and it showed 38% after about 4 hours of extremely heavy use. I don't know the exact percentage I started with but it seems to be extremely good for a phone with this much power.

-Charging time. At exactly 7:44 I put the phone on the charger with 38% battery level. It is now 9:44 and the meter is showing 91%. So about 53% in 2 hours of charging. Decent but seems alittle slow compared to my old hero.

-Camera. Its seems to be pretty good. Autofocus is quick and doesn't suffer from any lag time after pressing the shutter button. I do missing having a physical shutter button (trackball on Hero), it would of been nice to have some kind of shutter button without having to slide the keyboard out. The enter button on the keyboard does work. Pictures look good for a phone camera. Some have *****ed that it is only 5MP, really? Obviously you don't understand what effects image quality. It mostly has to do with the size of the sensor, which all cell phones have very tiny sensors. Your not going to get even close to point and shoot quality so just give up. And even if you look at them on a computer screen your only seeing about 1-1.5 MP depending on the size of your screen.

-Call quality. Seems nice and clear. I have tested it both using the phone and being on the receiving end of it. The speaker phone works very nicely, being on the receiving end it you wouldn't even know your on speaker. There is no constant static or echo sound like you hear on many phones. Only thing I can really say anything bad about is, I wish the volume could go just a touch higher. Driving at highway speed in a loud truck I could use just alittle higher volume.

-Volume control button. This has been a hot button issue in many of the reviews. I will admit I hit it alot when I first got the phone today, placement wasn't exactly genius. I will say as time goes on with use I have already gotten to the point where it is getting rare to hit in on accident. I am sure putting a case on it would help drop the number of accidental hits to almost zero with almost all the users.

-Keyboard. It is alot better then I am expecting. This was one of the main reasons that drew me to the phone, a physical keyboard. I have had alot of time on touchscreens but still don't care for them. The keys are laid out nicely with just enough space between them to let your fingers feel the separation between them. They even have a nice soft touch material on the top of them. Only thing I would change would be to have them raised just slightly more in the centers of each key and I it would of been nice to have 5th row for number keys like the epic and TP2 but its definitely not a deal breaker. They did add nice LED lights to indicate when the FN and cap lock buttons are in effect, they are located at the top left side of the keyboard. Also the keys are nicely backlit and makes it easy to use even in the darkest places.

Only other thing I will mention is about turning the screen on. Coming from the hero I am used to hitting the red button in the bottom row of keys along the bottom of the screen. With the evo shift there is two ways to wake the phone up, either by hitting the button at the top or sliding the keyboard out, which I thought was a nice touch. It nice to hear the text ring tone come through and just be able to slide the keyboard out and start responding instead of having to hit the top button. Also if the phone goes to sleep while the keyboard is out it takes a simple hit of any key to wake it back up.

So far I am really liking this phone, takes all of the power from the evo, adds alittle more and fits it into a smaller package with a keyboard and battery life that is actually useful.

I will update tomorrow night with more info including how the battery acts as it sets idle while I am at work for 7 hours.
muddytaco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to muddytaco For This Useful Post:
art_vandelay29 (01-10-2011), g.711 (01-18-2011), JHawk1970 (03-21-2011), stunya (01-08-2011)
Old 01-08-2011, 10:41 PM   #13
stunya
Telegraph User

SU$: 119
thinking about making the exact same jump. I have a rooted Hero ive been rocking since launch. I am really considering the jump, but still frustrated by the 4g charge that i cant use!

Thanks for the review and keep us posted!
stunya is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stunya For This Useful Post:
officercataldo (01-11-2011)
Old 01-09-2011, 12:30 AM   #14
cookeys
Cordless Phone User

Well, I decided to go with the shift when I returned my evo. I am having regrets, unfortunately. First, the things that I like.

1. The slider keyboard is pretty nicely done. I am no speed demon on it, but I am more accurate on it than I am with the virtual one.
2. The size. It fits in my pocket nicely. The evo barely fit in some of my pockets.
3. The call quality. Very nice. Everyone I talked to sounded clear and they had no complaints about how I sounded.
4. Battery life. I started with an 80 percent charge. I have been hammering on the phone for four hours now, and am at 35 percent. I know that its still not ideal, but that would have probably killed my evom. Oh, and I also had 4G on the entire time.

Dislikes

1. It consistently has a worse signal than my wife's evo. In areas wherd she has four bars, I have two. In areas where she can make phone calls reliably, I get dropped. I thought the evo's signal sucked. The shift's sucks worse. This is a big deal breaker.
2. The size. The evo is a brick. Its a huge beast of a phone. But man, what a great screen. I can see it without my glasses. I have to squint at the shift.
3. Build quality. The evo is very solid. I am not trying to suggest that the shift is flimsy or weak. But it doesn't feel as solid and sturdy.
4. Swype will not work on it. Maybe that's why it was not included with the phone. I had terrible luck with the beta. It worked flawlessly on my evo, and really not at all on the shift.

That's about all that I have. There are a lot of good things about this phone. I ran the quadrant test oon it myself, and it scored higher than any other phone on the list. So if your into the benchmarks, this is the phone to have.

But I think that I am going to bring it back and get an evo without screen separation and lighting issues. I know that they exist, because my wife has one
Old 01-09-2011, 12:47 AM   #15
timmydale
Telegraph User

Mood: Amazed
Phone: HTC EVO Shift
My Mood: Amazed
SU$: 205
Send a message via Yahoo to timmydale
I love the shift because of the keyboard but I do miss the bigger screen of the first evo. The shift does lag but only when I unlock the phone but everything else is working great. I have 28 days to decide if I will keep it or go back to my regular EVO.
timmydale is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > HTC > The official: I got my SHIFT first Impressions thread.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: