Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 01-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
egkor
Telegraph User

Phone: Sanyo Zio
SU$: 416
Sanyo Zio overall impressions

Received a Sanyo Zio as a (Sprint) service replacement for a defective Samsung Moment.

My replacement phone choices were: HTC Hero, Samsung Intercept, Sanyo Zio.

Long story short, I chose the Zio, as I didn't want another Samsung (the Intercept) and I didn't want to be frozen @ Android 2.1 (the Hero). The Zio appears to have an expected update to 2.2, someday.

Plus I get to upgrade out of the Zio in 2 months as my line is a Premier account line. So i only have to live with the Zio for approx. 2 months.

I was disheartened by the user reviews I had seen and thought I had made a bad choce in the Zio. However I am finding I rather like the phone.

The Zio's performance (w/ factory Android 2.1) seems to match my old Moment's performance (w/ factory 2.1). There is some lag, but nothing really terrible. I had the Moment get itself into operating states where it wouldn't even respond to screen presses. I have not experienced that w/ the Zio.

Right out of the box I set up the Zio with the "Clean" Sprint ID, meaning no addtional apps loaded (from stock).

I use the stock "home", Handcent, ATK, MySettings, Note Everything, nothing stressfull or memory-engulfing.

I am getting better battery longetivity w/ the Zio than w/ the Moment. Also when I run ATK, sometimes the task list comes up empty, meaning no other apps running to kill battery. Yes!

I get good call voice quality incoming/outgoing. Speakerphone acceptable.

Data connections: Sometimes the phone will go from indicated "3G" to "1x", and I can't get it back to 3G unless I power off/on the phone to let it reboot. This has happened 3 times in approx. 2 weeks.

I am having a little trouble adapting to the screen keyboard, but I don't do a lot of keyboard entry w/ the phone anyway.

Bought the Sprint "Body Glove" case, with the case installed to me its a handsome looking phone.

Overall I'm happy with the phone as a 2-month duration replacement for my Moment. However, I don't think I would be happy w/ the Zio if I had to use it for 2 years.

Hopefully that will change with the Zio's Android 2.2 update. I'm anxious to see if that will make a performance difference. I intend to upgrade to a Evo and would pass the Zio on to another family member as a replacement to use on their line in our family plan.

-Gary K
egkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM   #2
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by egkor View Post
Received a Sanyo Zio as a (Sprint) service replacement for a defective Samsung Moment.

My replacement phone choices were: HTC Hero, Samsung Intercept, Sanyo Zio.

Long story short, I chose the Zio, as I didn't want another Samsung (the Intercept) and I didn't want to be frozen @ Android 2.1 (the Hero). The Zio appears to have an expected update to 2.2, someday.

Plus I get to upgrade out of the Zio in 2 months as my line is a Premier account line. So i only have to live with the Zio for approx. 2 months.

I was disheartened by the user reviews I had seen and thought I had made a bad choce in the Zio. However I am finding I rather like the phone.

The Zio's performance (w/ factory Android 2.1) seems to match my old Moment's performance (w/ factory 2.1). There is some lag, but nothing really terrible. I had the Moment get itself into operating states where it wouldn't even respond to screen presses. I have not experienced that w/ the Zio.

Right out of the box I set up the Zio with the "Clean" Sprint ID, meaning no addtional apps loaded (from stock).

I use the stock "home", Handcent, ATK, MySettings, Note Everything, nothing stressfull or memory-engulfing.

I am getting better battery longetivity w/ the Zio than w/ the Moment. Also when I run ATK, sometimes the task list comes up empty, meaning no other apps running to kill battery. Yes!

I get good call voice quality incoming/outgoing. Speakerphone acceptable.

Data connections: Sometimes the phone will go from indicated "3G" to "1x", and I can't get it back to 3G unless I power off/on the phone to let it reboot. This has happened 3 times in approx. 2 weeks.

I am having a little trouble adapting to the screen keyboard, but I don't do a lot of keyboard entry w/ the phone anyway.

Bought the Sprint "Body Glove" case, with the case installed to me its a handsome looking phone.

Overall I'm happy with the phone as a 2-month duration replacement for my Moment. However, I don't think I would be happy w/ the Zio if I had to use it for 2 years.

Hopefully that will change with the Zio's Android 2.2 update. I'm anxious to see if that will make a performance difference. I intend to upgrade to a Evo and would pass the Zio on to another family member as a replacement to use on their line in our family plan.

-Gary K
zio isnt the best but its not really as bad as you would think. 2.2 will improve it alot from what i am hearing. I am glad your enjoying it! nice to see someone praise it instead of bashing it just becasue crickit had it first

Location location location.
ajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 05:19 PM   #3
egkor
Telegraph User

Phone: Sanyo Zio
SU$: 416
@ajac,

What's interesting is the lack of posts about the (Sprint) Zio ...

There's forum activity here and elsewhere for the other Sprint (Android) phones. But pretty quiet for the Zio.

That's one reason I posted what I posted, to see if there is anyone else out there using the (Sprint) Zio!

I'm at the point now where I wonder why Sprint carries the Zio ... Doesn't the LG Optimus S get the praises for performance and being a great value as an entry-level (but not really entry-level) Android screen-keyboard phone?

The Zio is a joy to carry compared to the "bricky-ness" of my Samsung Moment. The Zio is thin, lightweight, and stylish! It could be a fashonista's phone. Maybe that is a reason for Sprint's thinking: Choices.

-Gary K
egkor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 06:24 PM   #4
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by egkor View Post
@ajac,

What's interesting is the lack of posts about the (Sprint) Zio ...

There's forum activity here and elsewhere for the other Sprint (Android) phones. But pretty quiet for the Zio.

That's one reason I posted what I posted, to see if there is anyone else out there using the (Sprint) Zio!

I'm at the point now where I wonder why Sprint carries the Zio ... Doesn't the LG Optimus S get the praises for performance and being a great value as an entry-level (but not really entry-level) Android screen-keyboard phone?

The Zio is a joy to carry compared to the "bricky-ness" of my Samsung Moment. The Zio is thin, lightweight, and stylish! It could be a fashonista's phone. Maybe that is a reason for Sprint's thinking: Choices.

-Gary K
I know quit a few people that have it and love it. Maybe few pots becasue few complaints? lol

Location location location.
ajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #5
fatboy
Knock Knock

Mood: Lurking
Phone: LGLS991
Trades: 14
My Mood: Lurking
SU$: 7,894
Send a message via MSN to fatboy
we have one as a home phone its ok