Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 12-30-2010, 09:29 AM   #1
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: Touch Pro 2
SU$: 2,384
Sprint premium service

I was charged with two messenger ringtones at $9.99 each last month. How could this happen when I had set all my three phones to block any download? I like to seek the wise counsel here before I contact Sprint.
leicabug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:41 AM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
I suspect Premium Messaging. Sprint will reverse any charges and help you block them. But don't call up all indignant and testy. Just be polite and rational. If you get someone unhelpful, just hang up and call back.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duffman For This Useful Post:
leicabug (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:49 AM   #3
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

What is Premium Messaging and can I block it on my Sprint online account?
Old 12-30-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Duffman
Eh.

Premium Text Messaging is where you text a code to a short text number to subscribe to some service such as daily horoscope, etc. The "Premium" part means there is a charge with it... usually a monthly recurring charge.

You cannot block from sprint.com yet but a call to customer care will get you fixed up in a jiffy.
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
leicabug (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 11:52 AM   #5
leicabug
Walkie Talkie User

DuffMan, thanks a lot for your help. Chat rep did reverse the charges and block premium services on all my lines. Am I set for life as I will never be charged with ANY premium service charge again?
Old 12-30-2010, 12:08 PM   #6
jcsprint2009
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 3,333
if they used the "block all" option, then yes, you should be fine.
jcsprint2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jcsprint2009 For This Useful Post:
leicabug (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
Duffman
Eh.

You'll be fine if they did it correctly. Always check your bills though.
leicabug (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 02:39 PM   #8

SU$: 0
the only downside to blocking all premium messaging is it also blocks legitimate services such as bank of america's safepass, and text banking, also chase's services of the same and possibly even googles shortcode. its a double edged sword
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
leicabug (12-30-2010)
Old 12-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #9
vodeneal
Walkie Talkie User

Phone: LG Connect 4G
Trades: 1
SU$: 522
Send a message via AIM to vodeneal Send a message via Yahoo to vodeneal
I had the same problem, but now I can't text ESPN Radio, grrrr.
vodeneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
uofmguy85
Two Cans & String User

Phone: HTC EVO 4G
SU$: 112
Send a message via AIM to uofmguy85 Send a message via Yahoo to uofmguy85
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEngineer View Post
You'll be fine if they did it correctly. Always check your bills though.
Hey TheEngineer! (aka DuffMan)

Was wondering if I set "Block apps & digital media downloads" for all phones on my line and call Sprint to block all premium text messages should that prevent any non-usual charges from appearing on my "1500 Everything Data Share Plan" outside of any extreme roaming usage or overages for anytime minutes?

(The only people that use "apps" or other services on my line have Android OS based phones and would be required to checkout using Google Checkout with a credit card which is actually preferred in my case.)
uofmguy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 08:15 PM   #11
jmalla01
Telephone User

Phone: EVO 4G
SU$: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettW View Post
the only downside to blocking all premium messaging is it also blocks legitimate services such as bank of america's safepass, and text banking, also chase's services of the same and possibly even googles shortcode. its a double edged sword
I ran into this premium charge issue recently and did the block all and found out the hard way that it blocked BoA safepass. I've since removed it and just watch my bill to make sure there aren't any charges on my bill.

Is it possible to speak to a rep and have an exception list of things that can get through or is it a block all or none type setup?

Premiere Gold based on 14 years of service

Thanks Sprint User ccchhhrrriiisss for the SU$ donation.
jmalla01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 08:26 AM   #12
menmygn3
Galaxy Note 3! Oh Yeah!

Mood: Fine
Phone: I Don't KNOW!
Trades: 14
My Mood: Fine
SU$: 11,876
The Premium block IS all or none.

I would much rather have the block on (recent horror stories aside) then to worry about gettting a text from BoA telling me where my balance is.

I had to get my acct credited 2x in 2 months becuase my son's phone got hit 4x for $10 each month!

The first rep didn't do the block correctly, so he got hit again the next month.

The SNOT NOSED, JACK***** 2nd rep tried to tell me that he wouldn't credit the charges the 2nd time because he just KNEW my son was doing it.

I got real mad, but hung up and called right back and got a nice lady who saw that they had tried to block it, but it didn't work, so she fixed it and these last 2 bills have been fine!

Of course, the rep who was a jerk didn't note anything, so his info wasn't on my acct.
menmygn3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 11:53 PM   #13

SU$: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmalla01

I ran into this premium charge issue recently and did the block all and found out the hard way that it blocked BoA safepass. I've since removed it and just watch my bill to make sure there aren't any charges on my bill.

Is it possible to speak to a rep and have an exception list of things that can get through or is it a block all or none type setup?
You could always get a safepass card its a 19.99 one time fee though but it works no matter what including internationally

Sent from my PG06100 using SprintUsers Forum
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Sprint premium service

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: