Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 11-26-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
kd0axs
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 87
Possble to port number from one Sprint account to another?

Hello everyone, new to these forums but a long time Sprint customer.

I'm faced with a little dilemma here. I just added a new line to my account for my fiance's mom. She also has an account with Sprint but is going to cancel it (which involves paying a $50 ETF) and use the line that I just added to my account. The problem is that she doesn't want to lose her phone number because she has had the number for well over 10 years. (used to be her home phone number) So what I am trying to figure out is if there is any way possible I can get her number onto the line that I just added to my account. I did talk to a CS rep on the phone and a really dumb sales rep at my local Sprint Store. They both told me they couldn't do this, but I figure there has got to be some way that it's possible to get this done.

Thanks in advance!
kd0axs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:56 PM   #2
BASHBRO
Formerly BusyBeingBrutal

Mood: Buzzed
Phone: LG Optimus Q
My Mood: Buzzed
SU$: 3,134
Send a message via AIM to BASHBRO
Quote:
Originally Posted by kd0axs View Post
Hello everyone, new to these forums but a long time Sprint customer.

I'm faced with a little dilemma here. I just added a new line to my account for my fiance's mom. She also has an account with Sprint but is going to cancel it (which involves paying a $50 ETF) and use the line that I just added to my account. The problem is that she doesn't want to lose her phone number because she has had the number for well over 10 years. (used to be her home phone number) So what I am trying to figure out is if there is any way possible I can get her number onto the line that I just added to my account. I did talk to a CS rep on the phone and a really dumb sales rep at my local Sprint Store. They both told me they couldn't do this, but I figure there has got to be some way that it's possible to get this done.

Thanks in advance!

You can move the line she wants to keep to your account. Then contact customer service and have them SWAP the two devices. Meaning the number that was on phone A will now be on phone B and vise versa. Then you can cancel the line that you do not want to keep.

There is no way for Sprint to simply port a Sprint number to another Sprint number.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
kd0axs
Two Cans & String User

OK...I had thought about doing that, but then I would have to pay the full ETF because I would be canceling the line that I just added to my account.

Or is it possible to swap the contract dates on the 2 lines?
Old 11-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #4
BASHBRO
Formerly BusyBeingBrutal

Quote:
OK...I had thought about doing that, but then I would have to pay the full ETF because I would be canceling the line that I just added to my account.

Or is it possible to swap the contract dates on the 2 lines?
No, the commitment dates cannot be switched.

If you added the new line within the last 30 days you can cancel it and return the phone free of charge. Then process the change of ownership to move her number to your account.

This way she can just upgrade her old number once its on your account.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:38 PM   #5
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

Trades: 2
SU$: 49,912
the alternative is the ol' prepaid two-step...

port her number to a prepaid phone (e.g. Tmo or Pageplus), then port it into your new Sprint line...

the real question is why didn't you just move her line into your account/plan in the first place, rather than create a new line... then there would be no ETF...

is it too late to just do that ? (has it been 30 days?)
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
BASHBRO
Formerly BusyBeingBrutal

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

port her number to a prepaid phone (e.g. Tmo or Pageplus), then port it into your new Sprint line...

the real question is why didn't you just move her line into your account/plan in the first place, rather than create a new line... then there would be no ETF...

The prepaid two-step... lolz

Classic
Old 11-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #7
kd0axs
Two Cans & String User

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post

No, it hasn't been 30 days. I just added this new line today. I added the new line to take advantage of the black friday deal at Radio Shack. (Samsung Transform for free) The line she currently has isn't eligible for an upgrade until April, and the deal at Radio Shack was only for new activations anyway.

Maybe I will just have her transfer her number over and then pay the ETF on the new line. This will have a net cost of about $150, which would have been the cost of the phone without the black friday deal. Plus, that line will still be eligible for an upgrade in April.

If I were to do the prepaid thing, I assume I would have to buy a prepaid phone and some air time and then get the number ported over...right?
Old 11-26-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Fubar101
Cellular Phone User

SU$: 11,375
Quote:
No, it hasn't been 30 days. I just added this new line today. I added the new line to take advantage of the black friday deal at Radio Shack. (Samsung Transform for free) The line she currently has isn't eligible for an upgrade until April, and the deal at Radio Shack was only for new activations anyway.

Maybe I will just have her transfer her number over and then pay the ETF on the new line. This will have a net cost of about $150, which would have been the cost of the phone without the black friday deal. Plus, that line will still be eligible for an upgrade in April.

If I were to do the prepaid thing, I assume I would have to buy a prepaid phone and some air time and then get the number ported over...right?

Make sure that you check the return/exchange policy for Radio Shack. The store policy may be different, but these are the terms listed on their website where you are paying more than just a 200$ ETF. I don't what the special terms and conditions that go with buying in a retail store.

DEACTIVATING THIS PHONE OR DOWNGRADING FEATURES OR THE RATE PLAN MAY LEAD TO ADDITIONAL CHARGES
To provide you with significant savings vs. buying in a retail store, the price you paid for your device includes an Instant Savings Discount from this authorized retailer.

By accepting this Instant Savings Discount, you agree to repay $200 of this discount ($300 for smartphones and netbooks) and authorize us to charge your credit card in repayment of this amount if, during the 181 days after your new equipment is activated, your wireless carrier notifies us that the services you purchased have been suspended, disconnected, or deactivated, or if you return your purchase outside of the return and exchange provisions of our 30-day Satisfaction Guarantee.

Please note some of the reasons your wireless carrier may notify us of a deactivation include if:

* You transfer this equipment to another carrier line of service after it is activated
* You change your rate plan to a lower monthly service rate than was specifically required at the point of purchase
* You deactivate texting/data features that were specifically required at the point of purchase
* The new line of service activated with your order is used to replace a pre-existing account
Fubar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
kd0axs
Two Cans & String User

Thanks for the help guys!

I did the prepaid thing. It cost $20 but it worked. Bought a Tracfone phone at Target for 10 bucks and had to buy $10 worth of minutes to activate it. Activated the phone and had them port the number, then once it was ported I called Sprint and they ported it over no problem.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #10
valuequest
Telegraph User

SU$: 331
Presuming that both account owners are on the call can a customer service rep complete the entire service line move, device swap and service line drop sequence that BASHBRO detailed in the second post of this thread all within one call and (more importantly) so that the account in which the device swap takes place does not incur any charges for adding a line?

Last edited by valuequest; 01-23-2011 at 07:10 PM.
valuequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:19 AM   #11
valuequest
Telegraph User

SU$: 331
I am considering a situation somewhat similar to the one kd0axs describes and I can similarly see where the inability to swap the commit dates between the two service lines complicates the move line, swap device and drop line method if the service line with the less desirable phone number is still within contract... Sprint really does not have any way to port numbers internally? Are there any methods other than the prepaid two-step method monkeyboy describes here to port a phone number from one Sprint service line over to another Sprint service line on a different account?

Last edited by valuequest; 01-24-2011 at 08:29 AM.
valuequest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:30 AM   #12
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 5s
SU$: 21,560
Nobody is set up to port numbers internally. It's not what the system of porting numbers was designed to do.

The Pre-Paid Two-Step™ is the best solution.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
earthshaker78
Cordless Phone User

Phone: BB TOUR 9630
SU$: 2,553
Hi,

This is the most relative post I could find. I'm trying to do something similiar. I going with TracFone, Are there any "duration" limitations? Does the number need to stay on the other carrier for a while before returning to sprint? How long from porting to actually haveing the number working?

Thank You
earthshaker78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:38 PM   #14
xCharles718
Walkie Talkie User

Mood: Ninja
Phone: Nokia Lumia 920
My Mood: Ninja
SU$: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker78 View Post
Hi,

This is the most relative post I could find. I'm trying to do something similiar. I going with TracFone, Are there any "duration" limitations? Does the number need to stay on the other carrier for a while before returning to sprint? How long from porting to actually haveing the number working?

Thank You
I don't know of any, but i'll give it a day or two.
Old 10-08-2011, 04:46 PM   #15
cruiserandmax
Cordless Phone User

Phone: Epic Touch 4G
SU$: 4,287
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthshaker78 View Post
Hi,

Thank You
My wife and i were on separate Sprint accounts, mine was SERO. So i added a line to my account, then we ported her number to a Tmobile prepaid phone one evening, waited just over 12 hrs and then ported her number to the newly added SERO line the next moring.... So about 13 hrs for us.
cruiserandmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Possble to port number from one Sprint account to another?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: