Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Old 10-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #1
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

SU$: 7,880
Will Sprint have to change its Ads? 4G defined: WiMax and LTE don't qualify

4G defined: WiMax and LTE don't qualify

http://www.networkworld.com/news/201...x-and-lte.html

If someone is trying to sell you 4G wireless these days, don't believe them.

The truth is, neither WiMax nor LTE (Long-Term Evolution) qualify as 4G (fourth-generation) technologies, according to the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R). On Thursday, the group announced it had finished its assessment of submissions for the 4G standard, also called IMT-Advanced. Based on that group's decision, to really be selling 4G, carriers will have to get going with one of two future technologies, called LTE-Advanced and WirelessMAN-Advanced. The latter, also known as IEEE 802.16m, will form the basis of WiMax Release 2.
SLA Compliance: Wireless Fidelity Achieved: Download now

However, it appears that's not going to stop service providers from advertising current and upcoming services as 4G.

For WiMax operator Clearwire, the 4G label denotes an advancement beyond 3G networks, Clearwire spokesman Mike DiGioia said. "WiMax, and the LTE products that are coming out, are all sufficiently advanced past the 3G networks to indicate that they're moving forward," he said.

I guess EVO 4G owners have a case that they were sold or mislead into purchasing a 4G device when infact its not. Some lawyers will have fun with this.

Let the insanity begin.
Miami4G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:43 PM   #2
w7excursion
Hit Boy

Phone: KING S5
Trades: 10
SU$: 115,633
lol I knew I should have made my avy with 3g instead. I'll fix it later.
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
monkeyboy
(candy)bar hopper

Trades: 2
SU$: 49,912
I don't see why Sprint et al has to stop saying "4G"... they never said "ITU 4G"... Sprint can have its own 4th generation, and indeed it *is* the 4th generation of data network for Sprint...

according to the ITU, 1xrtt is 3G... yet if Sprint calls it 3G now, you'd heard a lot of complaints...
monkeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:57 PM   #4
DJRider
Former SU Mod Grampus Misfire

Mood: Pensive
Trades: 8
My Mood: Pensive
SU$: 101,955
I really don't care what qualifies as 4G. I was in NYC today on Sprint's 4G and it is incredible and obviously blows 3G away.

Seriously who declared the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) as the experts on 4G. They can call it anything they want now, revisionist history. All I know is my EVO flies when connected to 4G. That is all I care about.

Footnote: According to wiki this is what the International Telecommunication Union Radiocommunication Sector is:

The ITU Radiocommunication Sector (ITU-R) is one of the three sectors (divisions or units) of the International Telecommunication Union (ITU) and is responsible for radio communication.

Its role is to manage the international radio-frequency spectrum and satellite orbit resources and to develop standards for radiocommunications systems with the objective of ensuring the effective use of the spectrum. [1]

ITU is required, according to its Constitution, to allocate spectrum and register frequency allocation, orbital positions and other parameters of satellites, “in order to avoid harmful interference between radio stations of different countries”. The international spectrum management system is therefore based on regulatory procedures for frequency coordination, notification and registration.

ITU-R has a permanent secretariat, the Radiocommunication Bureau, based at the ITU HQ in Geneva, Switzerland. The elected Director of the Bureau is Mr. Valery Timofeev of Russia. First elected by the ITU Membership to the Directorship in 2002, Mr. Timofeev was re-elected for a 2nd 4-year term in November 2006.

Sounds to me that they are regulatory agency that coordinates spectrums and registers them. It doesn't say anywhere that they are the 4G experts, lol I depend on results and what I see in front of me, and I saw Sprint's 4G today and it is incredibly fast.

Last edited by DJRider; 10-25-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Spelling
DJRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:05 PM   #5
Freak4Dell
Account Locked

Phone: Samsung M920
SU$: 0
Send a message via AIM to Freak4Dell
Eh, it's nothing but wordplay. There's no set definition for 4G, because there can't be. The 4 stands for 4th, and the G stands for generation. As far as any carrier is concerned, the technology is significantly different, and the speeds are significantly higher, so this generation of data technology cannot be considered anything but a new generation. Thus, it can't still be called 3G, so the only logical step is 4G.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:21 PM   #6
DJRider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
Eh, it's nothing but wordplay. There's no set definition for 4G, because there can't be. The 4 stands for 4th, and the G stands for generation. As far as any carrier is concerned, the technology is significantly different, and the speeds are significantly higher, so this generation of data technology cannot be considered anything but a new generation. Thus, it can't still be called 3G, so the only logical step is 4G.
Exactly. The article really means nothing and is just a ton of word play.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:35 AM   #7
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

I wonder if Sprint will have an official response on this?
But you can't exactly sell an 802.11g product as such if it does not meet the specifications of the sanctioning body for example. Most likely it will be a few days for Sprint's lawyers to chew over this and see fit to comment.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:00 AM   #8
Evan702
Resident Gambler

Mood: Yeehaw
Phone: V950 mogul 8830
My Mood: Yeehaw
SU$: 12,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miami4G View Post
Doubtful...

Quote:
Most likely it will be a few days for Sprint's lawyers to chew over this and see fit to comment.
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting on that if I were you...
Evan702 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Evan702 For This Useful Post:
Mbrahv0528 (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:52 AM   #9
DJRider

Quote:
But you can't exactly sell an 802.11g product as such if it does not meet the specifications of the sanctioning body for example. Most likely it will be a few days for Sprint's lawyers to chew over this and see fit to comment.
No way will Sprint respond! Why should they? I really doubt the 4G police are going to press charges, I guess Apple will not be allowed to us the number 4 also in their iPhone4? Lets try and be real.
Mbrahv0528 (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 08:53 AM   #10
usernameOU812
Cellular Phone User

Phone: Nexus4
SU$: 7,623
Quote:
& since it was brilliantly mentioned that the standards were just detemined for the next evolution of 4G & that there were really no standards before...ummm what does SPCS have to uphold to?

The only one's wondering is the insane & those that can't get in the game yet & have to use semantics.

Last edited by usernameOU812; 10-25-2010 at 09:09 AM.
usernameOU812 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to usernameOU812 For This Useful Post:
Mbrahv0528 (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
Mbrahv0528
Telephone User

Phone: HTC Evo
SU$: 2,066
Quote:
They won't, and they shouldn't. Where is your article on T-Mobile advertising an ACTUAL 3g network as a 4g network? Oh that's right, you're anti-Sprint, that wouldn't fit into what you've pigeon-holed yourself into on this site as a Sprint basher.. Right on.
usernameOU812 (10-25-2010)
Old 10-25-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
andre141
A Happy Verizon Customer since 10/14/11

Mood: Chatty
Phone: iPhone 5S
Trades: 11
My Mood: Chatty
SU$: 28,379
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyboy View Post
according to the ITU, 1xrtt is 3G... yet if Sprint calls it 3G now, you'd heard a lot of complaints...
Yep, for quite a while Verizon was including its 1xrtt network in its "America's Largest 3G Network" marketing ads. That was one of my biggest gripes about Verizon, that they were misleading customers into believing ALL of that red map was high speed data. Because to the layperson, 3G = Fast data, which is not always the case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbrahv0528 View Post
They won't, and they shouldn't. Where is your article on T-Mobile advertising an ACTUAL 3g network as a 4g network?
I know! I was shocked when I found out that TMO is marketing its HSPA+ as 4G. They are even beginning to sell phones with 4G in the name, like the upcoming MyTouch 4G.

Makes me wonder if AT&T will market their HSPA+ as 4G once its ready.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:39 AM   #13
BerryChic
another word 4 thesaurus?

Mood: Amused
Phone: hTC EVO
My Mood: Amused
SU$: 31,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by andre141 View Post
I know! I was shocked when I found out that TMO is marketing its HSPA+ as 4G. They are even beginning to sell phones with 4G in the name, like the upcoming MyTouch 4G.

Makes me wonder if AT&T will market their HSPA+ as 4G once its ready.
ok, I thought I was just hearing things when I saw the HTC G2 commercial saying the phone with 4G speeds on tmo

BerryChic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
Freak4Dell
Account Locked

Phone: Samsung M920
SU$: 0
Send a message via AIM to Freak4Dell
As far as I know, T-Mobile just says 4G speeds, which they're just comparing to Sprint. HSPA+ does have 4G speeds. However, they could've moved away from that and started calling it all out 4G. I don't really pay attention to T-Mobile.

In all honesty, right now I'd rather have T-Mobile's HSPA+ anyway. Since it's not too different from HSPA, it can probably penetrate walls better than Sprint's WiMax can, which means I could use it more often, and they don't charge extra for it.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:35 PM   #15
Miami4G
Cordless Phone User

I just found out that Tmobile is marketing its phone with 4G speeds ahh thats worth a few lulz.
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > Network & Data Quality /Airave & Related Services > Will Sprint have to change its Ads? 4G defined: WiMax and LTE don't qualify

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: