Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
arf1410
Telephone User

SU$: 1,060
Using Unactivated Android Phones

If, hypothetically, the Hero becomes available refurbished for $79.99, Sprint says if I pay full price for a phone, including refurb prices, I have not requirement to activate it. With an unactivated Android phone, can I use it as a WiFi device, surf internet, and download Android software?
arf1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 PM   #2
Duffman
Eh.

Mood: onvacation
My Mood: onvacation
SU$: 29,054
I suspect you have to make it at least temporarily active on a line to purchase it, but then could swap back to another phone and use the Hero without a line. But why? Just to play with it?
Sprint wants me to make this absolutely clear: “The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the positions, strategies or opinions of Sprint.” I just WORK for Sprint. In no way does Duffman represent them!
Duffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM   #3
Freak4Dell
Account Locked

Phone: Samsung M920
Trades: 2
SU$: 0
Send a message via AIM to Freak4Dell
Yeah, you can use all the features except for the stuff that requires a cellular network. That's what I've always loved about CDMA phones. I have no idea if GSM smartphones do this, but the dumbphones used to just show a message that said insert SIM when you didn't have one in there. I guess the SIM didn't need to be active, but it was still annoying to have to get one and put it in there before you could use the phone. The CDMA phones don't do that...use it however you want as long as you don't require texts or cellular data or anything.
Old 10-08-2010, 05:26 AM   #4
metalfreak
Telephone User

Mood: Doh
Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
My Mood: Doh
SU$: 2,534
Thats what I did with my Moment until Oct 1st. I used wifi to download apps, set up accounts for some apps like Keyring and others. I could do pretty much anything without the phone being active.
metalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 09:05 AM   #5
arf1410
Telephone User

SU$: 1,060
This may be beyond the original purpose of this thread, but here's what I'm really after...I've been using an IPAQ PDA for ~6 years, and it is getting near the end of it's useful life. I use WIRED/USB Activesync, to sync the PDA with Outlook on my corporate laptop. The IPAQ is syncing with the laptop, it is NOT doing a direct sync with the Exchange server, as my company will not allow that. Will a non-activated Hero (or any other Android phone, for that matter), have an application (free or cheap) I can download via WiFi, to enable wired/USB sync to Outlook on my laptop (NOT directly to exchange server), and ideally as a simple process, rather than manually activating multiple steps?
arf1410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 11:28 AM   #6
metalfreak
Telephone User

Mood: Doh
Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
My Mood: Doh
SU$: 2,534
Quote:
Originally Posted by arf1410 View Post
This may be beyond the original purpose of this thread, but here's what I'm really after...I've been using an IPAQ PDA for ~6 years, and it is getting near the end of it's useful life. I use WIRED/USB Activesync, to sync the PDA with Outlook on my corporate laptop. The IPAQ is syncing with the laptop, it is NOT doing a direct sync with the Exchange server, as my company will not allow that. Will a non-activated Hero (or any other Android phone, for that matter), have an application (free or cheap) I can download via WiFi, to enable wired/USB sync to Outlook on my laptop (NOT directly to exchange server), and ideally as a simple process, rather than manually activating multiple steps?
There are applications, and I used to love syncing with my Outlook, but with WinPhone 7, that option will go away. I use Google's sync (free) application installed on the PC to sync calendar items from outlook to the google calendar.
Contacts, since I don't change them often, I exported from Outlook (CSV format) and imported into gmail.

I've read a lot of people are frustrated that there are not many simple (read inexpensive) apps to do syncing with outlook/android.
metalfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:17 AM   #7
wiichin
Two Cans & String User

SU$: 10
use pre-paid sim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak4Dell View Post
Yeah, you can use all the features except for the stuff that requires a cellular network. That's what I've always loved about CDMA phones. I have no idea if GSM smartphones do this, but the dumbphones used to just show a message that said insert SIM when you didn't have one in there. I guess the SIM didn't need to be active, but it was still annoying to have to get one and put it in there before you could use the phone. The CDMA phones don't do that...use it however you want as long as you don't require texts or cellular data or anything.
I have a new unactivated photon. I want to use it in China for a while before I actually activate it and have to start paying American prices. Is there a way to use the cellular services in china on an unactivated phone? I already tried the pre-paid china mobile sim, but it tells me to activate the phone when I try to place a call. if it's rooted, would there be a program I might want to look for?
Thanks!
wiichin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > Devices > Android (Google) Based Phones > Using Unactivated Android Phones

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: