Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-28-2010, 02:59 PM   #1
imekul
God is so good.

Mood: Inspired
Phone: Epic Touch
Trades: 2
My Mood: Inspired
SU$: 1,898
Question A Sprint phone I bought is activated on another account. What should I do?

I recently bought a used Epic for a "great" deal. Sprint says that the ESN is clean, but the phone is already activated on another account. I've been having a hard time getting a hold of the seller, so I don't know whether he will ever actually deactivate the phone or what the situation really is.

Anyway, I'm trying to find out what to anticipate. Obviously, if this is legit, the seller will probably eventually contact Sprint and deactivate the phone, and all will be well.

If not, I guess this is as good as a phone with a bad ESN? If that is the case, it's not the worst possible outcome, as I can always resell it on eBay for parts or whatnot and probably end up breaking even.

The phone shows a number which presumably it had been activated on. When I try to make an outgoing call, though, I hear the "Your account could not be validated" recording.

I guess I'm wondering a few things:

1.) How could a phone be activated in Sprint's system, yet not function? I mean, the phone looks and behaves as if it was deactivated, yet Sprint shows it as being activated. Is there some middle zone it could be in?

2.) Is there any way, contacting Sprint, to find out any info on the account, such as any scheduled deactivation date or anything? Or to find out if the account is past due or anything of that sort? Obviously I don't have the account PIN or anything, but I do have a phone number and the ESN.

3.) Why would someone want to sell a phone that was active on their account but not deactivate it? Would it be a case of someone abandoning their account, which would lead to a blocked ESN, so they want to unload it?

I'm thinking it's unlikely this could be lost or stolen, simply because Sprint shows the ESN as clear. You'd think if someone lost their phone, they would call Sprint and get the phone blocked.

I'm not really too worried about it even if the case is that this is essentially going to wind up being a blocked ESN. Like I said, I can probably make my money back or come close to it. I'm just really curious as to what the situation could be.

I would really appreciate any thoughts you guys have!

Thanks,

Luke

I will love You, ’cause You’re the One who loved me first.
imekul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:12 PM   #2
lenny_go
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4G
SU$: 1,513
Where did you buy it?

I think your only recourse is through the seller. If you bought it on ebay/paypal, you have a ton of recourse. Just file a "not as described" due to bad ESN. If you bought it on craigslist for cash.... good luck, man.

Considering you got a "great" deal, unfortunately the ESN probably wasn't as clean as the seller claimed.
lenny_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #3
imekul
God is so good.

I bought it for cash locally, and I knew that it was a bit of a roll of the dice. So yeah, no buyer protection or anything like that. But even if I have to resell it stating it has a bad ESN, I'll probably be okay. It's in great shape.

I guess I'm just curious as to what other stages an ESN could be in, or practically speaking how someone could still have the phone on their account.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:39 PM   #4
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
This happened to me several years ago. It finally turned out that the phone's ESN was tied to a particular company contract. Even though the company had deactivated the phone, Sprint still presumed that the phone belonged to the company, and would not allow a private individual to activate it on a personal account.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lgmayka For This Useful Post:
valuequest (11-07-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #5
imekul
God is so good.

Thanks for sharing your experience.

How did you find out the situation? Did Sprint reveal that info to you, or did someone else tell you that?

Also, I assume you never got the phone activated?

Old 09-28-2010, 04:58 PM   #6
Remax Realtor
No love for Android

Phone: a-900
SU$: 6,390
Can you contact the seller and see whats going on? I always save the numbers from craigslist sellers just in case I have issues.
Remax Realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
lgmayka
Digital PCS User

Phone: HTC Evo Shift4G
SU$: 22,879
Quote:
Originally Posted by imekul View Post
How did you find out the situation? Did Sprint reveal that info to you, or did someone else tell you that?

Also, I assume you never got the phone activated?
Sprint eventually revealed that. And no, the phone was never activated.
lgmayka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
VisionsDivine
I actually hate phones

Phone: My landline lol
Trades: 6
SU$: 8,970
I had the same thing happen to me with a Treo a couple years ago. I traced the account back to the original owner across the country. When the owner wouldn't return my calls, I left a message on his phone threatening to call China and leave the phone on overnight--and thus racking up the International charges. This got the last owner to promptly call Sprint and clear the ESN.
VisionsDivine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VisionsDivine For This Useful Post:
valuequest (11-07-2010)
Old 09-28-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
best thing you can do is is call the seller or contact local law enforcement and see what they can do (most likely nothing)

Location location location.
ajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Your recourse is to post a "bad seller" posting on CL or whatever service you found him / her on.

Likely what happened is the seller skipped out on a bill, and the account is now in collections. It is, for the foreseeable future, a paperweight now.

Yeah, you can sell it for parts, or to be flashed to a service like cricket or metroPCS. That's about it.
Old 09-28-2010, 08:16 PM   #11
diveborg
journeyman electrician

Mood: Blah
Phone: LG Optimus
My Mood: Blah
SU$: 29,233
Other than on Ebay, the ONLY way to buy a phone from a private party for cash is to meet at a Sprint corp. store and have the phone verified that it can be activated on your account before cash changes hands, IMO.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:14 PM   #12
imekul
God is so good.

Turns out it was stolen. It's a little tricky to type with these handcuffs on. (Just kiddin' =)

I called Sprint again, and after digging a little deeper, the rep was actually able to tell me the phone was, in fact, reported stolen. I'm not real sure why that wasn't mentioned before when I tried to do an ESN swap.

I moved on to some higher-up a Sprint, and he got a hold of the original owner, and essentially set up a time for me to return the phone to a Sprint store for the rightful owner to reclaim it.

What's really surprising -- and quite relieving -- is that out of the blue, the rep asked me how much I paid for the phone. I told him $220, and he said that he couldn't credit me the full amount, but instantly gave me an account credit of $150! That caught me off guard!

So that's where we stand. What surprises me the most is that when I called initially, before the purchase, the Sprint rep told me that the ESN was clear; it was simply activated on another account. Yet today, the rep said it had been reported stolen a while back. That part confuses me!

Anyway, I'd say this is a pretty good ending. Sure, I'd like to have the 70 bucks back, but I knew it was a bit of risk in the first place. As a bonus, the original owner is going to get his/her phone back, so that's got to be a nice feeling.

Thanks again, everyone, for your feedback and wisdom! I appreciate it!

- Luke

Last edited by imekul; 09-28-2010 at 11:20 PM.
Old 09-28-2010, 11:25 PM   #13
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Turns out it was stolen. It's a little tricky to type with these handcuffs on. (Just kiddin' =)

I called Sprint again, and after digging a little deeper, the rep was actually able to tell me the phone was, in fact, reported stolen. I'm not real sure why that wasn't mentioned before when I tried to do an ESN swap.

I moved on to some higher-up a Sprint, and he got a hold of the original owner, and essentially set up a time for me to return the phone to a Sprint store for the rightful owner to reclaim it.

What's really surprising -- and quite relieving -- is that out of the blue, the rep asked me how much I paid for the phone. I told him $220, and he said that he couldn't credit me the full amount, but instantly gave me an account credit of $150! That caught me off guard!

So that's where we stand. What surprises me the most is that when I called initially, before the purchase, the Sprint rep told me that the ESN was clear; it was simply activated on another account. Yet today, the rep said it had been reported stolen a while back. That part confuses me!

Anyway, I'd say this is a pretty good ending. Sure, I'd like to have the 70 bucks back, but I knew it was a bit of risk in the first place. As a bonus, the original owner is going to get his/her phone back, so that's got to be a nice feeling.

- Luke
Ya know, its quite possible that the original owner will be happy to get it back and give you something for your troubles also. If not, it was a $70 lesson learned.

In the future, try and buy on ebay with paypal and make sure the listing states "Clean ESN for Sprint activation."

If you choose to go the CL way, the suggestion to get it activated on your line before exchanging cash is a smart one. If your local sprint store doesnt want to do it for you, you can typically try out the "test" laptop with the data card and log into sprint.com and activate it on your account yourself. Tell the seller you've already been burned once, and as soon as its active with no issues you have no problem handing over the cash.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #14
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
Quote:

- Luke
sounds like rep screwed up.You should give all the information you have to the person that lsot the pone and let him take it to the next level. Was this a craiglist phone? if you said it was in earlier thread sorry its 6am my had is pounding and I am to dumb right now to look back up lol

Location location location.
ajac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:14 AM   #15
lenny_go
Telephone User

Phone: Samsung Epic 4G
SU$: 1,513
Quote:
That was really cool of Sprint to have done that for you. I suppose it makes up for the original rep telling you that that bad ESN was clean. It's also pretty cool that you're able to make the original owner's day, even though you suffered a loss.

Oh well, that could have been a much more expensive lesson, so you made out pretty well, all told.
lenny_go is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back SprintUsers.com > General > Sprint Discussion > A Sprint phone I bought is activated on another account. What should I do?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: