Join 200,000+ other SprintUsers for free at the #1 online community for Sprint cell phone customers! Win cool prizes in our weekly contests. Talk about the newest phones or post your question in our forums! Become a premium member and get unlimited Focus Uploads to your Sprint phone.

All visitors must register before they can post questions, contact other members or search our database of over 127,000 threads and 1.7 million posts. So what are you waiting for? Register for free today!

Closed Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
bball1011
Future 3D-er

Mood: Cheerful
Phone: White SS
Trades: 3
My Mood: Cheerful
SU$: 22,546
Is there a way to clean "bad ESN"?

My sister just let herself get craigslist scammed and got a Samsung Moment without checking to see if the ESN was clean and it ended up being still "active" on someone else's account.

She has had no success getting a reply from the people she bought it from on craigslist and it turns out that the people did not pay their bill and got their service canceled. Obviously Sprint will not activate the phone on her account.

So, my question is if there is any way to somehow maybe change the Moment's ESN to clear it or something else be done so that my sister can activate the phone on her account? Thanks.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:28 AM   #2
C Dissonance
Subspace Radio User

Phone: Galaxy S4
SU$: 3,902
There is a way to change the ESN of a phone but it is complicated and the method varies for each phone (so it may not be possible for the Moment currently or ever). I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind bricking the phone then google QPST and see what you can find out.

I think her best bet though, is to resell the phone to somebody else (maybe one of the smaller CDMA carriers can reflash it for their network). That way she can get some of her money back to put towards a new phone.

Good luck!
Old 09-18-2010, 08:30 AM   #3
rambo47
Idoru

Phone: iPhone 5s
SU$: 21,577
Nope. Nothing for it but to get the original account holder to get Sprint to release it. Even that is no guarantee as in many cases once a phone is blacklisted Sprint won't remove that blacklisting.

A couple other reasons for blacklisting are:
* Phones reported stolen.
* Phones registered to an account suspended for non-payment.

Sometimes a phone will be sold with a clean ESN and the next day the seller will report it stolen or lost in order to file an insurance claim. eBay is another hotspot for selling these dirty ESN phones without disclosing this fact. About the only thing a blacklisted phone is good for is flashing to an alternate carrier like Cricket.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
rambo47
Idoru

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Dissonance View Post
There is a way to change the ESN of a phone but it is complicated and the method varies for each phone (so it may not be possible for the Moment currently or ever). I definitely wouldn't recommend it, but if you don't mind bricking the phone then google QPST and see what you can find out.

I think her best bet though, is to resell the phone to somebody else (maybe one of the smaller CDMA carriers can reflash it for their network). That way she can get some of her money back to put towards a new phone.

Good luck!
I believe that at least in the U.S., changing the ESN of a phone is illegal. This is definitely a "black hat" kind of sketchy operation. Anyway, Sprint won't activate a handset if the ESN is not in their data base as having been originally sold by Sprint, so just picking a random number won't help.
Old 09-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #5
C Dissonance
Subspace Radio User

Phone: Galaxy S4
SU$: 3,902
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I believe that at least in the U.S., changing the ESN of a phone is illegal. This is definitely a "black hat" kind of sketchy operation. Anyway, Sprint won't activate a handset if the ESN is not in their data base as having been originally sold by Sprint, so just picking a random number won't help.
Well I'm certainly not a lawyer, and you could be right about it being illegal.
However I would think that if I owned the phone that I could do whatever I wanted to it (like flashing an unsupported ROM for example) as long as I'm not going to steal service with it.

Say you switched the ESN of a phone that you own to the ESN of another phone that you own and then pay FULL price for all services used. In this case I don't think any laws would be broken. I'm sure it's against Sprint's TOS and they can probably kick you off the network if they found out, but I think that would be it.

Edit: Scratch all that, it looks like it is illegal, or at least the FCC says it is (of course they don't even know the laws that govern them so... )

Last edited by C Dissonance; 09-18-2010 at 09:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
rambo47
Idoru

It *shouldn't* be illegal to do it the way you say, but unfortunately most of the folks who have this software are using it to steal services or run scams. Cloning ESNs to have multiple devices with the same id is a common one. So the laws have been written with this in mind and are blanket policies.

If you're looking for an intelligent, well thought-out law, and you're looking for it in the U.S., brother you're looking in the wrong place!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:07 AM   #7
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
http://www.fcc.gov/cgb/consumerfacts...honefraud.html

Location location location.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
bball1011
Future 3D-er

Dang it...reading through the posts, I was thinking what if my sister took one of her spare phones,which do have a clean ESN, and could somehow put the clean ESN on the bad ESN phone...oh well
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 AM   #9
Dan
Forever my Angel

Mood: Relaxed
Phone: HTC ONE
Trades: 1
My Mood: Relaxed
SU$: 128,899
Quote:
Originally Posted by bball1011 View Post
Dang it...reading through the posts, I was thinking what if my sister took one of her spare phones,which do have a clean ESN, and could somehow put the clean ESN on the bad ESN phone...oh well
No, you can't do that legally, and discussing it (as its illegal) is not something we do on here.

Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #10
bball1011
Future 3D-er

Oh no, I don't wanna break the law lol I was looking to see if it could be done by Sprint somehow
Old 09-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
ajac
Satellite Phone User

Phone: htc evo
SU$: 34,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
No, you can't do that legally, and discussing it (as its illegal) is not something we do on here.

one reason I posted that link cloning is serious people and can get not just you in trouble forums in trouble FCC policies it like cops police roads after a football game

Location location location.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:55 AM   #12
bball1011
Future 3D-er

Sorry guys...someone can close this cuz I don't wanna get any one in trouble lol
Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #13
Dan
Forever my Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajac View Post
one reason I posted that link cloning is serious people and can get not just you in trouble forums in trouble FCC policies it like cops police roads after a football game
I gave her info, privately, about what can be done with the device from a legal standpoint.

Many people who think it is perfectly alright to clone an ESN seem to question if the FCC has the authority to charge a person caught violating the law. While they *may* give a pass to someone caught, they can lay federal charges against violators.

When you can legally flash a device to work on Cricket and Metro PCS as one option, a "Bad ESN" device can have some usefulness. It likely has less value then a "Good" Sprint device, but its not a paperweight.
Old 09-18-2010, 09:58 AM   #14
Dan
Forever my Angel

Since you requested it..........

Closed

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread